Notices

Left drive shaft will not seat into the trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Left drive shaft will not seat into the trans

I rebuilt the 5 speed manual transmission on a 1991 Honda Civic DX by replacing all the oil seals and bearings including the "set ring" at the inner end of the drive shaft. Now I am unable to get the left drive shaft to go all the way into the transmission. It refuses to go the final 1/2" despite several moderate blows with a rubber hammer on the outer end of the drive shaft. I assume the problem is the metal set ring at the end of the shaft will not enter the slot which holds the shaft in the transmission. I know the drive shaft is not in the correct position because I can pull it out of the transmission by hand. However, I am reluctant to strike the end of the drive shaft with a larger hammer for fear of damaging either the constant velocity joints or the transmission.

Can any of you suggest what I should do short of pulling the engine and transmission out of the car and disassembling the transmission again?
Dennis Waller
Foreign Auto Service
Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Left drive shaft will not seat into the trans

well is it the correct axle first? and is the c clip all fu*kd up if so it wont go in. use a dead blow hammer if you have to i do just a couple taps ( not swings).