Notices

leaking headgasket and blowded coolant overflow?!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking headgasket and bloated coolant overflow?!

hey my headgasket on my d15b7 has a nice oil trail down the front of the motor, coming out right at the corner where one of the water temp sensors go in,, and my radiator overflow container is alwayss bloated and full of coolant,, what im asking is, is this an obvious sign that my car is constantly overheating and i now know it? btw i wouldnt know if it was for the most part cause the coolant temp gauge doesnt work. and i havnt figuredd out how to fix it yet. any and all thoughts and concerns are appritiated! thanks.

Report this post

Last edited by 1989civichatch; 09-15-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking headgasket and blowded coolant overflow?!

Haha uhh yeah bud id say theres a good chance, id replace that head gasket asap
and make sure the head is torqued to spec
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF9Clay
Haha uhh yeah bud id say theres a good chance, id replace that head gasket asap
and make sure the head is torqued to spec
lol thanks for the reply. guess noone else wants to put in any input! but when i was driving it, it was running fine.. besides the coolant deal. been dealing with brake problems and been wanting to the thing. but guess i got something else to doo
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You wait an hour and a half and wonder why people haven't replied? Maybe it's because people have jobs and other stuff to do. Since you "blowded" it up (which is the butt of our jokes at work now by the way), you obviously have a blown headgasket. So yes change it... that's my input - does it compute?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989civichatch
hey my headgasket on my b15b7 has a nice oil trail down the front of the motor, coming out right at the corner where one of the water temp sensors go in,, and my radiator overflow container is alwayss blowdedd and full of coolant,, what im asking is, is this an obvious sign that my car is constantly overheating and i now know it? btw i wouldnt know if it was for the most part cause the coolant temp gauge doesnt work. and i havnt figuredd out how to fix it yet. any and all thoughts and concerns are appritiated! thanks.
I don't understand.
I was expecting a technical question by your subject line, but after reading your post it now seems to me that you have a perfectly good engine there that is running in tip top shape.
You really lucked out! Some of these engines that get shipped over from Japan aren't in very good shape. But yours sounds to be sweet! Other engines weren't equipped with the visual indicators like yours. You are SO lucky! With those sweet options you have you are able to see that your oil pump is good and you know your water pump is good too. Those are VERY rare options to have. You must have gotten the engine from a fully loaded car - that is pretty sweet just to think about!
I guess you are just sharing you have a sweet swap - pics would be sweet if you get a chance, but thanks for sharing anyway. It's not very often we hear about such sweet rides like yours.

My thoughts are that you have a sweet Honda.
I have no concerns other than somebody might steal your sweet ride.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well thanks for the a$$hole replies anyways. criticism is always welcome. i was just asking a question, since that's what this thread is for... if im wrong please correct me. i said "blowded" because its blown up like a balloon and i wasnt quit sure how to explain it. thanks for the help tho!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bloated no Blowededdedeed...

Mas puto!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Keyboard Humorist

To me, it sounds like you might not have a bad headgasket.
Pics would help answer it, but from your description, your valve cover gasket might be the culprit for your oil leak.
The gasket has 4 sharp corners on it where it mates with the round parts of the head that the cam passes through.
If Honda-bond or similar product was not used in these 4 corners, then the valve cover seal will often leak in these areas.

Your water reservoir/overflow tank swelling is odd. Towards the top of the tank should be a vent so that air can be expelled in normal use. It sounds like yours is plugged shut such that when the water from cooling system is let into the tank, it forces the tank to swell up like a water balloon.
This could be due to a failing radiator cap, blown head gasket, plugged water line, etc.

There temp gauge is not critical to the engine operation. However, if it's operating correctly it will look broken and read 'C' all the time if you don't have coolant in the engine and it's only exposed to air. Make sure you have coolant!

It would be very helpful if you were to try this and come back with results:
Remove your radiator cap and start the engine.
Look into your radiator and monitor the water for bubbles (fill radiator neck with more water if water is too low to see)
If there are any bubbles then it could be a blown head gasket, cracked block, or a leak somewhere in your water lines. Purchase a 'block test' kit and check your water for signs of exhaust contamination - blown head gasket.

If no bubbles appear, continue monitoring the water level in the radiator neck.
it should rise (maybe spill a little) and then lower dramatically and rush through the radiator when the water finally reaches operating temperature thermostat opens.
When you see that the water has cycled and that the thermostat has opened, then put the radiator cap back on.
If you end up standing there for 15 min and it never cycles then remove the thermostat and test it in a boiling water.
Do NOT run the engine without a thermostat.

Continue to let the engine idle and monitor the radiator fan (radiator cap on).
Over a few minutes time the fan should come on.
Wait a while longer and see if the fan goes off.
If it goes off then it is a good sign that your engine is cooling properly - but only at idle.
It may act differently when driven.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
To me, it sounds like you might not have a bad headgasket.
Pics would help answer it, but from your description, your valve cover gasket might be the culprit for your oil leak.
The gasket has 4 sharp corners on it where it mates with the round parts of the head that the cam passes through.
If Honda-bond or similar product was not used in these 4 corners, then the valve cover seal will often leak in these areas.

Your water reservoir/overflow tank swelling is odd. Towards the top of the tank should be a vent so that air can be expelled in normal use. It sounds like yours is plugged shut such that when the water from cooling system is let into the tank, it forces the tank to swell up like a water balloon.
This could be due to a failing radiator cap, blown head gasket, plugged water line, etc.

There temp gauge is not critical to the engine operation. However, if it's operating correctly it will look broken and read 'C' all the time if you don't have coolant in the engine and it's only exposed to air. Make sure you have coolant!

It would be very helpful if you were to try this and come back with results:
Remove your radiator cap and start the engine.
Look into your radiator and monitor the water for bubbles (fill radiator neck with more water if water is too low to see)
If there are any bubbles then it could be a blown head gasket, cracked block, or a leak somewhere in your water lines. Purchase a 'block test' kit and check your water for signs of exhaust contamination - blown head gasket.

If no bubbles appear, continue monitoring the water level in the radiator neck.
it should rise (maybe spill a little) and then lower dramatically and rush through the radiator when the water finally reaches operating temperature thermostat opens.
When you see that the water has cycled and that the thermostat has opened, then put the radiator cap back on.
If you end up standing there for 15 min and it never cycles then remove the thermostat and test it in a boiling water.
Do NOT run the engine without a thermostat.

Continue to let the engine idle and monitor the radiator fan (radiator cap on).
Over a few minutes time the fan should come on.
Wait a while longer and see if the fan goes off.
If it goes off then it is a good sign that your engine is cooling properly - but only at idle.
It may act differently when driven.

thank you so much! i will try this when i get time, and i will also take pics of the area where there appears to be oil leaking. but my radiator fan has a hot wire running to the fuse panel and it turns on when the key is turned on. i have been told this can blow my ignition but it came to me like that and i have messed with it quite yet

julioboostamante: thanks for the spell check!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Keyboard Humorist

That's very lame that they took the time to run a hot wire to the fuse panel.
The fan system is so ridiculously simple.
That's just sad.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i started reading and was gonna make a smart a$$ comment but i see you guys got it it must be headgasket week this week ive seen like 9 posts already
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Bah... rethinking the overflow tank may not have a vent.
Had to look pics up and I guess it's just some of the aftermarket ones that have the purge/breather.

Now it sounds like your head gasket is blown and pumping water like mad into that overflow tank.

Take off your radiator cap, sit in the car, turn the engine on, and rev the motor a little.
If water comes out of the radiator then it's a bad sign.
It may jet out of the radiator like a geyser so don't stand there looking at it.
Really good indicator of a really bad head gasket.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't think its a blown hg. easy way to check is to see if your engine oil is bubbly milky like choco milk and if you got oil in your overflow! and white smoke out the exhaust yo... well usually lmo
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm outlaw
I wouldn't think its a blown hg. easy way to check is to see if your engine oil is bubbly milky like choco milk and if you got oil in your overflow! and white smoke out the exhaust yo...
Not always... could also be a cracked head/block as well. The oil would look perfect in some cases.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm outlaw
I wouldn't think its a blown hg. easy way to check is to see if your engine oil is bubbly milky like choco milk and if you got oil in your overflow! and white smoke out the exhaust yo... well usually lmo
usually the chocolate milk thing only happens in severe cases...most of the time it starts as air bubbles in the coolant because cylinder pressures are a lot higher than oil pressure and coolant pressure and given somewhere to go it will find its way out of the cylinder on the compression stroke
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the input guys. like i said, i didnt wire up the fan, it was like that when i got it. so idk why someone did it. but the oil is fine. just nasty from the fact it prolly hasnt been change for sometime now. i havent bothered to change it since i got it and the guy said it needed to be changed. and i got it in like april? but i picked up a d16y7 out of a 2000 civic lastnight w/ unknown mileage.. but i traded him 2 mtx terminators with a 800 watt amp for it. i guess im pretty happy with the trade. wasnt able to compression test it because i didnt have a long enough extension in my box but im gunna do it tonight. i read in the haynes manual its 184 psi for standard, 134 minimum, and cylinders shouldnt differ by more than 28
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Guess it wouldn't make sense for you to bother figuring out the old engine's issue.
Rev that old engine with the radiator cap off anyway before you go swapping engine!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
Guess it wouldn't make sense for you to bother figuring out the old engine's issue.
Rev that old engine with the radiator cap off anyway before you go swapping engine!
well i went to do that, but my battery just happened to be completely dead when i went to crank it so i didnt bother. i will do that next time i have a chance tho. did a compression test on the y7 today. all cylinders around 30 psi guess i should have made a point to do that last night! torn the engine down tonight. gunna make a build trend with pics on slight rebuild!
also here are a couple pics of where it leaking and the overflow tank that is constantly full. Obviously not bloated now because car has been sitting

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, I have the same issue.
Except I don't let my overflow tank to actually "overflow"

4drEF, you're my hero btw. You need a cape.

I read somewhere that it's normal for a geyser of coolant to come out of the rad neck if you rev the motor. Guess not! Time to do headgasket, timing belt, oil pump, and water pump I think. :D