Notices

L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz?

I know, no more power than than I have in my 90 Si as it is, but it should get better mileage at similar performance. It's my daily driver.

Anyone seen an L15A into EF done?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (dylanear)

there are just too many damn reasons to list as to why this would be an utterly ridiculous swap to attempt, here are just a few.

*The amount of sensors and what not on the newer engine would cause alot of problems just trying to make it work in an older chassis, driveby wire throttle body for example.
*You would pretty much have to use the Fit ECU to make it work but good luck with THAT wire conversion
*You would pretty much have to be a car wizard to pull off the custom fab work needed to mount and wire the engine in so assuming you are NOT one (you never would have posted this question if you were ) it would cost a STUPID amount of money to pull off.
*All that gas $$ you would save would probably have to be spread out over 20+ years to even come close to the amount of money you would spend to have this done.

*One L15a motor/trans/ecu and custom parts for install $5000+
*One Donor EF chassis $1500+
*Mechanic able to keep a straight face while taking your money for the swap $3000+

The look on your face after realizing how much money you spent to "save gas mileage"?.....priceless

Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the same power with better mileage, you would be better off swapping over a D16Y5 VTEC-E from a 1996-2000 Civic HX. At least that motor will bolt right in. And, although the wiring conversion will be somewhat more difficult than OBDI, it will be ALOT easier than a motor from a Fit. Power will also be increased to 115HP. A D15Z1 VTEC-E from a 1992-1995 Civic VX has been done quite a bit in the name of increasing fuel economy. But power will actually be down from the SI by quite a bit (92HP vs 108HP).
Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (StorminMatt)

Great info guys. I figured it might not make sense given the different eras the cars come from. But since the engine seems like it would be perfect I had to ask.

Matt, both of those engines you suggested have gone through my head as well. My mom has a 91 VX and I've never liked that engine much. The D16Y5 sounds like the one to use. I certainly wouldn't cry over a few more horses as long as mileage increases too. I do love the stock D16A6, it just feels great even if it's not that powerful.

Perhaps I'd be better off just swapping to a more relaxed transmission. 3rd gear on mine sounds like it could go at any time.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dylanear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My mom has a 91 VX and I've never liked that engine much. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There was no 1991 VX. The VX did not appear until 1992.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dylanear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Perhaps I'd be better off just swapping to a more relaxed transmission. 3rd gear on mine sounds like it could go at any time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This might not be as hot of an idea as you might think. The fact of the matter is that some engines just don't like low cruise RPMs. I swapped an HF transmission into a 1989 Civic DX, thinking mileage would be better. It wasn't. And the original transmission was actually not a DX transmission, but an SI transmission. Given that your D16A6 is less low-RPM oriented than the D15B2, I would think that taller gears would not be of any more help on that motor. What you REALLY need here is a motor that is able to make the most of taller gearing. And this is where the D16Y5 comes into the picture.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd really like to see a jazz engine into an EF. They're a really nice gusty engine.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Re: (~sp33~)

it actually doesnt sound like that bad of an idea if you think you can make it happen...but honestly if you dont like the gas mileage an EF gets, then you should take a trip to your local Schwinn dealership and see whats new...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (~sp33~)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ~sp33~ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd really like to see a jazz engine into an EF. They're a really nice gusty engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't vouch for its 'gutsiness'. But given the numbers and displacement, I just can't see the L15A as being any better than anything that can be more easily and cheaply swapped into an ED/EF. Except, of course, for the fact that it is newer. Otherwise, the way I see things, there is zero advantage over, say, something as simple as an MPFI swap on a D15B2.

Here's something else to consider. By the time all is said and done as far as swapping this motor, you could probably have a REALLY nice B18C swap for the same money. What would you rather have?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for better fuel economy you could just ease up on the throttle and drive at a lower rpm and keep your tires properly inflated and save alot of money over a swap .. but if that is really what you want to do a swap i have a really nice crx hf motor in my garage that i took out so i could do a b18 swap like StorminMatt said, and i am basically willing to give it away at this point .. to bad you live on the other side of the county
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (lilbill_ed8)

The bottomline: if you want better fuel econmy, scan craigslist and the honda-tech classifieds for a 1992-1995 Civic VX D15Z1 or a 1996-2000 HX D16Y5. Chances are you can pick up an engine for next to nothing, as most people don't want them. Swap one of these into your car with an HF transmission, and you will get GREAT mileage. Generally, the D15Z1 swap is done more often due to the simpler OBDI electronics AND the fact that it generally gives better mileage than the D16Y5. But the D16Y5 DOES have 23 more HP, although it will have to be used with the OBDII ECU for the best mileage (preferably a 1996-1997 ECU, since they don't have an immobilizer). If, say, a P28 is used with this motor, mileage will probably be little to no better than a D16Z6 swap (and it won't be California legal). Regardless, EITHER of these motors is a FAR easier, FAR cheaper, and FAR more practical choice than an L15A.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (StorminMatt)

Or just buy the full hf swap or a crx hf... That is if you can stand the 62 hp.

They get great gas mileage, but my old hf was the most frustrating car I have ever driven. The first time I drove up a hill I damn near pissed myself laughing at the lack of power.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard quite a few people complain about the mpg of the fits not being as good as the sticker. the fit is also heavier though.

if you want awesome milage just wait for the new honda diesel motors!

Modified by grog at 9:48 AM 2/24/2008
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (spatula)

hello i was wondering if you have a 88-91 crx si engine harness for sale. i live in san diego just needing a harness
Old 02-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little help here. I have a Fit and I'll take a properly tuned d16a6 over the fit anyday. Put your time and money into something that going to start when you turn the key. Leave the Fit alone and go to the d15 8 valve engine if you want 50 miles to the gallon. Later, Barf
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies! I like the idea of the D16Y5, the D15Z1 will be too gutless. I want economy, this isn't a performance car for me, but I don't want to loose power if I can afford not to.

How hard would swapping in an OBD2 era ECU?

And yes, I'd really rather have a D16Y5 than a B18C in this particular car.

Oh, my mom's VX is a 92, not 91 (obviously). One of my Miatas is a 91, I guess I had a brainfart.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (VtecSyndrome)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecSyndrome &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
*The amount of sensors and what not on the newer engine would cause alot of problems just trying to make it work in an older chassis, driveby wire throttle body for example.
*You would pretty much have to use the Fit ECU to make it work but good luck with THAT wire conversion
*You would pretty much have to be a car wizard to pull off the custom fab work needed to mount and wire the engine in so assuming you are NOT one (you never would have posted this question if you were ) it would cost a STUPID amount of money to pull off.
*All that gas $$ you would save would probably have to be spread out over 20+ years to even come close to the amount of money you would spend to have this done.

*One L15a motor/trans/ecu and custom parts for install $5000+
*One Donor EF chassis $1500+ *Mechanic able to keep a straight face while taking your money for the swap $3000+

The look on your face after realizing how much money you spent to "save gas mileage"?.....priceless

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm thinking you haven't ever looked into 'less common' motorswaps...

A) The DBW throttle is the only thing that would require real effort to fab up to an EF chassis.

B) people have been doing custom motor swaps for years. It doesn't cost 'stupid amounts of money' especially if you shop around.

C) your prices for motor and 'custom install parts' seem a bit outlandish. Nobody wants the L15 so it won't cost very much from engine sites soon, and the metal/mounts/axle work required really are not that expensive - again if you shop around.

D) donor EF chassis for $1500? For that price you should be getting a mint condition 89 Si hatchback with under 170,000 original miles. I buy rust-free good-interior EF's every month to fix and sell for between $200 and $500 depending on why they don't run.

E) $3000 to have an L15 swapped into an EF after you have all required parts etc is completely ridiculous. I could go down to a Honda stealership for the swap and they would charge much less for labor.

In any case we're on the same page as far as 'worth it' since he's only wanting better fuel economy (presumably to save money).

Now, if you already had a good EF chassis sitting there and someone left an abandoned L15 swap in your front yard it might be worth the effort if you were willing to do most/all of the labor yourself or by bribing friends.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz? (kalm_traveler)

get a hf swap or car and then turbo it. just get 240cc injectors and got for 3-5psi and they get 45 or so and then have over 100 hp. i did and it was the shet
Old 03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the wild things are in, NY, United States of America

absolute waste of money IMO. but props if you have some sort of passion to do it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I SAY DO IT!!!!

& GET THE 5 SPEED AUTO W/ SHIFT PADLES....

that would be awesome... you would be the only guy w/ a crx with padle shifters :thunbsup:
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fit? retarded swap! The R18 would be much better. A turbo will bolt right to the head with a new flange.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz?

I just purchased a complete swap from a 2008 Fit Sport AT that will be going in my 2002 Insight. I'll give you a few reasons why the swap isn't a stupid idea. First off the engines are lightweight, cheap, plentiful, modern, low mileage, and different. Hondata is available for both MT and AT. L15 might not be the most powerful of efficient but it is a well balanced engine.... It's a Honda after all. Would a K Swap be easier and faster, sure, but not a balanced car and most certainly not unique. I say go for the swap and don't listen to the pundits.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Fit and the sticker was about right for me? I think I manage 30-33 city and 38-40 highway. The car is a lot heavier than any 4th gen chassis. Then again, I have airbags, electric windows, AC, 4 doors, etc. Why not just buy a Fit?

I will say, there are plenty of D-series motors that will get you fine mileage (about what I get in the Fit) and can retain factory AC and such.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BongoBennie
I just purchased a complete swap from a 2008 Fit Sport AT that will be going in my 2002 Insight. I'll give you a few reasons why the swap isn't a stupid idea. First off the engines are lightweight, cheap, plentiful, modern, low mileage, and different. Hondata is available for both MT and AT. L15 might not be the most powerful of efficient but it is a well balanced engine.... It's a Honda after all. Would a K Swap be easier and faster, sure, but not a balanced car and most certainly not unique. I say go for the swap and don't listen to the pundits.
and a 2002 insight is a LOT more similar electronically than an 88-91 civic. To compare...my stock d16a6 managed 33mpg combined, and it managed the same with pistons and bolt ons, costing me less than $2k with ALL bolt ons imaginable AND a rebuild. I only had to wait until 275k miles to do it as well...
Old 10-06-2015, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just grab a carbureted G10 motor out of a Geo Metro? It is a 1L with 50 HP and when mounted with a manual trans nets 40+ MPG combined. Super reliable motors, easy to work on and will wire into your chassis because it's a carb. Engine mounts will be custom and you'll need some axles. But the rest is pretty straight forward. You'd be surprised how similar the second gen Metros and our 4th gen Civics are to each other.

Or a VX swap would work. Those motors get trashed all the time, along with HF swaps.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Just wondering if anyone from "BongoBennie" and downward realized how old this thread is...

Quick Reply: L15A VTEC swap from Fit/Jazz?