Notices

JDM Sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Sidemarkers

I want to put the amber JDM sidemarkers on my car. Here are the questions: The hole has to be rectangle in shape? THe light must be able to clip on one side and snap in on the other? If this is true, you could swipe those lights off of any car in Japan in a matter of seconds. Once the hole is cut and the light snapped in, is there a way to wire it so as to not cut any wires? One common mistke I have seen with sidemarkers on EFs is that they are always wired to the corner turn light (the light on the combination light shared with the parking light.) So that when the lights are on, the sidemarker is on and flashes when the turn signal is applied. This looks goofy to me and especially when they leave the corner light active as well, so that you now have 3 turn signals. I want to wire it to the bumper lights so that it only comes on during a flash.

Basically what I want it to look like is this: (try to get a mental picture from my description)
Amber sidemarker light that alternates flash with the bumper light like the corner light does, but without being on when the lights are. This seems like it might require wire work since the wiring for the corner light that flashes alternately with the bumper light stays on when the lights are on. I will take the sidemarker flashing at the same time as the bumper lights over having it on when the lights are. Anyway, basically only on when the turn signal flashes like the bumper light. NEXT: Important! I will then remove the USDM combination corner light and replace it with the JDM clear corner light with only one light hole for my parking light. What do I do with the unused corner turn signal wire? As we all know, if I just leave it with no light bulb in it, the turn signals will flash really fast alerting me to having a light out. How do I curcumvent that? Place something in the socket to complete the circuit?

Any and all information will be helpful. Pictures of your own sidemarker installs would be great. I need to know where the wires plug in and how to wire to the bumper light and not the corner light, what to do with the unused corner light wire. Hints on cutting the fenders to house the lights, special tools needed, etc. Any one in the DFW metroplex that would like to help, let me know.

I don't want to paint anything, which is why I want to modify my own parts. However, when cutting the fenders, I do not want that little dent that some people have left around the sidemarker. It's like they take a drill and press really hard. That makes a dent around a hole.

If there is anymore, I will update. Thanks a million.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will have to splice into the wires for the front bumper lights.
there is one power and one ground signal.
its really easy to do.

you just splice into them at the bumper and run the wires in side of your fender wells to the sidemarkers.

One good tip when installing the sidemarkers make a template for them first out of cardboard or plastic and use that to detrmine where to cut your fenders.
use a dremel to cut the fenders then you will not have any pressure marks left over from the install.

hope this helps
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris_)

Anyone have any pics? I learn so much better from them. Anyone want to do it for me???
Old 05-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (johnclaunch)

just a question, but what would happen if you ran the side marker wires to your turn signal fuse?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: JDM Sidemarkers (johnclaunch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeRPaul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a question, but what would happen if you ran the side marker wires to your turn signal fuse?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the fuse is constant power when you turn the key on. So I think that when you would turn your car on the marker would be on all the time... no blinking.

In reply to the original post -
you want them to alternate with the corner turns right? So when the corner is on, the marker is off and vice versa.

BUT, as an added twist you want the marker to NOT be on after you are done with the turn signal. You want the blinker off all the time and only active with the blinker is active.

You will have to wire it up the same as you would to alternate with the corner and stay on BUT you will add a relay. Run a wire to the turn switch on the steering column stalk. That will activate the relay and complete the circuit to the corner allowing the side marker to be active only while the turn signal is being used.