Notices

installing ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing ignition lock cylinder

so, recently my ignition system got messed up and the car would stay on in the I position. i bought a new lock cylinder at honda, and it came with my new keys.

so, as per the manual, i have to push in the pin with the cylinder inside the lock body. it is pretty much impossible. how am i supposed to do this?

anyone ever do this job before??
Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: installing ignition lock cylinder (pendejon)

I have changed a few ignitions in my days, pretty easy. I just unbolted the old one and used 12mm bolts to tighten down the new one. Just make sure your ignition switch is in the off position before you screw it in. I'm unsure of what you mean by pushing in the pin, but just make sure its in a spot where it goes into the steering column. Also do yourself a favor, make sure its aligned with the steering column covers before you tighten the ignition into place or the covers might not line up. I found this out the hard way and had to reposition it. Anyway, hope this helps!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Re: installing ignition lock cylinder (thevtecnician)

I don't think you understand what i mean

i seperated the lock body from the steering column lock

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 AM

bump
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to put the key in the ignition to push the pin in. try it on start, acc, what ever, but the key needs to be in the lock to remove the cylinder
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM

yes, i know, the key has to initially be in the 0 position to be able to turn the inside lockng mechanism to accept the key cylinder when it is in the I position.

the pin will only go down when in the I position, the problem is holding the pin down while trying to get it into place. i have tried all sorts of thin objects but nothing works...

i searched google and one dude said he got it in after an hour, but doesn't know how he did it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 AM

i already removed the old cylinder, it was cake.

putting the new one is a mission considering how deep the pin actually goes, and the little amount of space given to use whatever tool honda forgot to specify for the job.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (pendejon)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2132950
Check out that link, I had the same problem as you but I wasn't able to fix it after I found out that 90 civics with automatics they can't be replaced. I don't know what car you are having trouble with but that link should help you out.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh now I understand. You should just replace the whole assembly. It takes about 30-40 minutes and your done
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM

thanks peanut butter for the link. i have a 91 crx si, so it should be replaceable.

im gonna try to see if there is metal in the way, but when i look at the path that the pin goes down, there is a sharp edge before the hole meaning the pin has to be fully depressed to enter. i feel like i need a specific tool for this, or something to cut the metal a bit to make the slide in possible.

any other comments welcome.

i rather not have to replace the whole thing due to the fact i bought a brand new key cylinder, special order. no returns on that stuff.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boy....what a pain in the butt, it sounds like.

I've got an 88 CRX. Just waiting for the key, but heck, I'll sell you the ignition switch complete for like $5. Then you can take your old one out and play with it outside of the car and still be able to drive.

To remove the whole thing....once the plastic is out of the way, take a cutoff wheel and slice a slot in the 2 smooth screws in the ignition housing. Then take a small screw driver and unscrew them. I've found that they're always very easy to unscrew. Takes longer to disconnect the connectors than it does to remove those screws.

jack
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: installing ignition lock cylinder

Originally Posted by pendejon
so, recently my ignition system got messed up and the car would stay on in the I position. i bought a new lock cylinder at honda, and it came with my new keys.

so, as per the manual, i have to push in the pin with the cylinder inside the lock body. it is pretty much impossible. how am i supposed to do this?

anyone ever do this job before??
okay so I'm currently doing this job at 1:20am tired as hell but I finally figured it out. It's not the button that you have to hold down, if you look inside the housing for the cylinder you'll see that the slot that button goes into kind of has a ramp that pushes it right into place. If you take a pick on the right side of the inside of the housing there's a flat spot that kind of stuck out, I took my pick and pressed on it, when I did that it pushed in and another part moved over kind of in front of where the back of the cylinder does into, now holding that in place is the tricky part. If you look under the housing for the lock cylinder you'll see a little black plastic piece with two wires connected to it being held in by one golden screw (it's right next to/behind another white plastic piece held in with an identical screw) take the screw out of the black piece. Next to the screw hole there's another hole that you just uncovered, this hole is were you're going to stick your small pick in. Take something else and push that part I mentioned before inside the housing in as far to the right as it will go, then stick your pick in that hole underneath, this will hold that in place. Now with your key in the cylinder with it in the I position push the cylinder into the housing while keeping that pick pressed firmly in the hole, and you're done. Yes it is really that simple yet so hard to figure out. I stumbled apon it by pure luck and the slip of a pick. I hope this hall can help some people out.