Notices

Injector/Ecu issues 89 hatch OBD0-OBD1

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injector/Ecu issues 89 hatch OBD0-OBD1

Ok guys i bought a 89 Hatchback, with a b18b1. i'm having injector issues and or ECU problems.

background: i bought the car with the engine completely dis-assembled in the trunk of the car, it had been torn down for a overhaul sent to the machine shop and then never put back together. so i re-assembled the engine stuck the trans back on, wiring harness that was with the car back on the engine and got it put back into the car weekend before last. when i first cranked the engine it wasnt running smoothly sounded like timing was off but as i double checked and had someone else verify timing it turns out that only injectors 2 & 4 were firing when supposed to, so i began checking power supply and pulse signal which lead to finding that injectors 1&3 were not getting a pulse signal therefore not spitting any fuel what so ever. the car ran good for only firing on 2 cylinders and would crank and run each time i started it when testing different possibilities of issues.

i began questioning the ecu so i pulled the carpet back and found the jumper harness and ecu to where previous owner converted it to OBD1 with p75 and jumper harness, i noticed connected to the commercial jumper harness was 2 additional plugs one with 4 wires coming off and another with 8-10 wires coming off. the plug that only had 4 wires coming off it was empty and i remember having a extra plug that was in engine bay connected to the engine harness that i didnt have plugged in bc i didnt know where it went sense it was not a honda style connector plug.

so i plugged the 4 wire plug into jumer harness from engine harness, crank the car and it runs smoother than it ever had before and i pulled spark plug wires off cylinder 1&3 to see if they were firing and indeed they were. so i let it heat cycle once more with all 4 cylinders now firing and i shut it off to change oil and fix the throttle cable bracket.

ever since i turned it off it has not started back up, my ecu seems to have a CEL light bc when i turn the key to the on position the CEL light comes on and stays on: i have tried reading the codes by closing the circuit with wire and watching the CEL flash, but nothing happens whether i have the key on or off then complete the circuit or if i try to complete circuit then turn the key on regardless nothing happens the CEL never even blinks even if i try starting the car while the circuit is completed.
i have tried 3 known working obd1 ecus and i get the same results with eac--Constant CEL no blinks.

can anyone explain to me how to read the codes on a OBD0 Converted to OBD1 89 hatch or if you think there is another issue with it

also before i figured out where the 4 wire connector went i changed the injectors to a pair of known good OBD1 injectors that i had on my B16 that i had cranked that same week knowing nothing was wrong with them.

any help or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Injector/Ecu issues 89 hatch OBD0-OBD1

Bump