Notices

I think it's my master relay again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's my master relay again...

So I have a 1991 Civic DX hatch (1.5L). When I got the thing, I had issues on hot days getting it to start. I thought it was vapor lock but it ended up being the master relay overheating and messing up the soldering. I replaced it about two years ago and haven't had issues since. In September I blew a hose and just made the time to fix it. After charging and jumping the battery repeatedly, the car does not seem to want to hold a charge. Today, after a slow charge, it was acting like there was not a battery at all. I got it to jump off and finally pulled out my master relay to check it and the damn thing is making skipping noises again. Upon inspection, I realized there is a wire hanging. Is this the problem? It's surely not supposed to be like that, right? I don't really mess with electrical stuff too much, guys, help me out here.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think it's my master relay again...

Update: still overheating. No leaks and fan is functioning. Gonna think on that one. Popping coming from the under-hood fuse box I think when I turned it off. Fuses look fine, but one connection is soldered for some reason. Going to enlist someone to listen or turn it off and on while I do. So still dealing with both issues. In other words, back to square one. Also, I love this car too much. The time, energy, effort, and money is worth more than the Blue Book for sure. 😂
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I think it's my master relay again...

A few things....There has been some hacking going on on that harness for sure. Looks like that loose wire needs to be doubled up with the other one in the corner pin location. Also, you need to check your alternator. It has probably failed and not charging at low RPMs. If you have a bad alternator, buy a quality replacement. Don't buy from Autozone/Orielleys/Advance, etc. They are all junk. If you are still overheating and the fans are working, you need to have the thermostat replaced (or, possibly, you have air in the system that needs to be bled out).