Notices

How to put Integra Gauges in an 88-91 Civic

Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put Integra Gauges in an 88-91 Civic

Now I know there are plenty of write ups already on how to put these gauges in a civic but Ive had people ask me how I put the gauges in my car and how I made the gauges fit to look more "stock" then other people did. Also after searching through many of these write ups I still basically had to figure out the vss issues myself. A lot of the write ups provided different info from the next one. Make sure you read all of the proceeding steps before you start buying stuff.
First you want to get all the materials you will need to perform this gauge swap. If you are going to cut your dash harness to splice the Integra gauge plugs to the civic's existing wires you will need wire cutters, electrical tape, shrink wrap, wire loom, soldering gun, solder, and a heat gun or hair dryer. Also you will need some wire that matches the gauges of the vss wires. I have a complete subharness form a 91 sedan that I use when I need wire, since it varies in wire size and color. Do not use a smaller gauge wire than what Acura used from the factory.

Even if you are just going to repin the interga gauge plugs you will still need all of those materials stated for the vss wiring.

Next you need to figure out what year gauges you want. The 94-97 gauges have grey faced gauges and a smooth black surrounding the gauge faces. The 98-01 gauges have black gauge facing and a sparkly metallic paint like black background.(thats the way the 2000 GS-R gauges I have are, anyway) Also the wiring between 94-97, 98-99, and 00-01 is supposedly slightly different due to revisions by Acura. Make sure to get the plugs that plug into the gauges and as much pigtail as possible on each plug.
98-01 GS-R gauges actually 00-01 because 00-01 had a "key" light which was a car immobilizer light

gauges with plugs and pigtails

After that you will need to find an electronic vss that will work for your transmission. If you have a d series transmission I would suggest getting an electronic vss from a d series transmission. find one from the same gen car as your transmission. If youre transmission is still the cable d series then I would suggest using a 92-95 civic vss. Im not totally sure because my car has a b18a1 so I used a b series vss. If your transmission is a b series then obviously use a b series vss. Once again make sure to get the plug that plugs into the vss and as much pigtail as possible.

Now you have several options for the gauge wiring. You can either repin the integra gauges or cut and splice the civic wires in the dashboard harness. Repinning might be easier if you are going to leave the harness in the car. It also allows for less chance of future error that could cause a fire because youre not cutting any wires. I already had taken my dashboard out about 10 times while my car was being built so I just took out the dashboard then took out the harness and sat down at a table to wire the Teg plugs onto the harness. If you chose to splice the wires instead of repin simply solder the wires together, shrink wrap the connection and wrap that in electrical tape due to shrink wrap's tendency to get brittle and fall apart. also loom all wires especially the wires from the vss to the gauges and ecu.

This website link will show you how to repin if you decide to repin the Teg plugs and it will also show you the pinouts for whatever Integra gauges you choose. USE THIS LINK FOR PROPER PINOUTS FOR WHATEVER GAUGES YOU CHOOSE.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-97-98-01-integra-cluster-into-92-95-96-00-civic-wiring-diagrams-1053318/

While you are wiring the integra plugs onto your civics harness you will want to tie a wire into any black/yellow (black wire with a yellow line) wire in the civics gauge wiring. This will be the switched power source for your vss.
The wires on the vss will be power ground and signal. The black wire will be a ground which you can just ground at the thermostat housing on the engine or anywhere else in the engine bay. The black/yellow (or yellow/blue) wire you will run into the cabin and tie into the black/yellow wire that you should have tied into at the dashboard harness. The last wire will be orange (or yellow) and will be the signal wire. You have to run this wire into the cabin and tie it into the orange (always orange) wire in the Integra gauge plugs. also right where this wire enters the cabin of the car splice it and run that to your ecu. so the orange wire will be spliced into two wires, one running to the ecu and one to the orange wire on the integra plug. (note- make sure to wrap these wires in loom to prevent the wires from rubbing through and shorting out.)
At the ecu you will need to tie that part of the orange vss wire to the yellow/red wire on plug b of the ecu. If youre looking at your ecu in the car it will be the middle plug. some say the yellow/red wire that is in the gauge wires in the dahsboard harness is the same wire so you might be able to use that. I just tied it straight into the wire in the b plug at the ecu and it works. If you get a cel then you know you wired the vss wrong.

Lastly if youre wondering how to keep your stock mileage it is said that you can take the odometer part of your stock gauges out and wire them in to keep track of the mileage. You would wire the odometer part up then hide it by the ecu or somewhere and it would tally up the stock mileage.

The two bottom screws below the speedometer cable slot is what you would tie into. The left screw you would ground with a wire, the other crew you would wire to the signal wire you just wired previously. I have not tried this method of stock mileage because I just plan on swapping odometers from the other GS-R gauges once I get to 114,000 miles.

When you go to put the gauges in the dashboard "hood" you need to remove the brackets that held the old gauges in. I have only done this on a sedan so I dont know if the following method will work to put the gauges in.
I snapped off the "duckbill" from the top of the gauges then set th gauges in place in the "hood" then put the trim piece in place. Most people have reported that you actually need the duck bill so DO NOT SNAP THE DUCKBILL OFF IF YOU DONT HAVE TO. only if there is no other way of fitting the gauges in will you snap the duckbill off.

Cruise Control
If you are blessed enough to have a sedan with cruise control just keep the cruise light plugged in ad take the bulb which is attached by two wires and replace it with the cruise light in the teg gauges. If the bulbs wires will not reach the Teg cruise light socket then simply add wire onto the existing wires.

The wiring is different between 88-89 and 90-91 civics so here are a few sources for wiring for the gauges. The first website is what I used because there arent many write ups for the 88-89 civic. I dont think it is completely accurate but all the main lights on the gauges work for me as far as I can tell.
88-89 Civic wiring
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/here-pin-outs-88-89-civic-gsr-integra-cluster-swap-2700215/
http://ef-honda.com/ben/DCcluster.php

90-91 Civic wiring
http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da...vic-ex-494142/

Pinouts for all different years of Integra gauges
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053318

If you have any problems with the gauge swap you can always ask on this forum someone will most likely answer your question. If not you can compare an Integra and Civic shop manual for wiring pinouts. In my opinion I wouldnt use any of the writeups becuase if you have a different year of Integra gauges than who made the writeup something isnt gonna work. I would use the pinouts for the integra gauges by year https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053318
and compare them with pinouts from your year civic to make sure you are wiring everything accurately

Now see how much "classier" your civic looks with Integra gauges

Last edited by gnxpro24; 09-28-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to put Integra Gauges in an 88-91 Civic

great wright up and ima get started soon

thenx
Old 05-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this should be in the FAQ section! Great write u.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great info!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully someone can use this info
Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has anyone used this info to put teg gauges in their civic?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used it to put my cluster in but my only rear concern is how my oil light is not on when the car is in "on" mode but not running. I noticed yours isnt either tho. I also have a few light bulbs that are out but i plan on getting red leds for the cluster anyway.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed on the pic of the back side there is a missing plug. Do you know what it's for? I have the same cluster with 3 plugs and I'm missing the same one that's on your pic.

I have made a full plug n play SiR cluster harness before. And I was going to use this one for my Crx, but was unsure because ofthe missing plug.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cut my plugs from a 95 ls teg and there were only two plugs so im assuming the third would be for abs or the airbag sensors maybe??
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
I noticed on the pic of the back side there is a missing plug. Do you know what it's for? I have the same cluster with 3 plugs and I'm missing the same one that's on your pic.

I have made a full plug n play SiR cluster harness before. And I was going to use this one for my Crx, but was unsure because ofthe missing plug.
yes that is the plug in an automatic cluster that lights the bulbs to read"drive" "park" "neutral" etc
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good write up subbed and 5 star rating
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=accordin 2 me;45735421]I used it to put my cluster in but my only rear concern is how my oil light is not on when the car is in "on" mode but not running. I noticed yours isnt either tho. I also have a few light bulbs that are out but i plan on getting red leds for the cluster anyway.

my oil light works when the key is on the picture is when I had the gauges on an 88-89 harness now I rewired my entire car to 90-91 mulitpoint and cruise spec and all lights work
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=gnxpro24;45739087]
Originally Posted by accordin 2 me
I used it to put my cluster in but my only rear concern is how my oil light is not on when the car is in "on" mode but not running. I noticed yours isnt either tho. I also have a few light bulbs that are out but i plan on getting red leds for the cluster anyway.

my oil light works when the key is on the picture is when I had the gauges on an 88-89 harness now I rewired my entire car to 90-91 mulitpoint and cruise spec and all lights work
I dunno maybe my oil light will work.when my car is running again
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good writeup. I've had a GSR cluster in my CRX for many years now and recently picked up a GSR so it's kinda nice that I've got consistency between the two cars I drive
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent write-up. This will definitely help in the near future.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM

NICE write up!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice post.

Here is my contribution. This is my wiring for 91 CRX and 98 GSR cluster

Integra Cluster Wiring Pinout

91 CRX Pinout

92-95 civic VSS Wiring Plug pictured. (wiring color may change but position is the same for many years generations of honda/acura VSS units)

Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 PM

FYI the wire colours are different for Canadian models.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks everyone
Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raene
FYI the wire colours are different for Canadian models.
So is the spelling of "color"...

Good job "gnxpro24", but maybe you could try to Reproduce the links in your thread in case the outside links go down.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
So is the spelling of "color"...

Good job "gnxpro24", but maybe you could try to Reproduce the links in your thread in case the outside links go down.
Thanks. Great suggestion as well. What would be the best way of going about this?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice ive been wanting to swap out mine too...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its easy man. and it looks great

btw my oil light isn't coming on because its not hooked to the block.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Trial User

So I'm attempting to put a gsr cluster in my 90 civic and on the cluster there's 4 plugs and on the wiring harness there's only 2 blue and one yellow. Is the other plug not used?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to put Integra Gauges in an 88-91 Civic