Notices

how much boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much boost?

i have a 1990 crx (non si)
i have converted it to multi port injection, recently i have put a v-tec head on and a turbo setup set to 5psi.
also i have changed the fuel rail and put a aem high volume rail and an external fuel pressure regulator on the engine. and also a msd external fuel pump
there is 94 eclipse gst injectors also installed
what is the maximum psi i can run on the engine for kinda like a daily driver, ( that wont blow up on me) i want to have as much power as i can out of this engine but i dont want it to give out on me. if also possible the kind of horse power i would expect to get out of it.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much boost? (blackcrx16)

it all depends on the tune
Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say a safe 6-8psi
Old 07-30-2006, 12:19 AM

A FPR isn't going to take you very far. You did good replacing your fuel rail, injectors, and pump but I think your fuel lines might not be able to take the brunt of all that, I don't know, anyone have any input on that? Bursting fuel lines would be my worst nightmare.

Given your setup and assuming you do not have an intercooler I'd say your exactly where you can "safely" run without detonation.

I'd say you might be able to push that D(assuming) engine to maybe 180hp or 200hp, but not with what you have. You'll need to get a programmable ecu that allows you to change fuel ratios around and then you'll need to tune it, by trial and error with or without a dyno and professional.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much boost? (yellowcrx1991)

Yea you need some kind of fuel management FMU, AFC or Chipped ECU...I've never heard of fuel lines busting on a turbo car? If you aren't running an IC you shoul dbe if you want to make any decent power...

You want to know how many psi i you can run and you don't even tell us what motor..there is 2 non si but since you had to do MPFI conversion I'll assume its a DX and you didn't tell us what turbo you are running...psi isn't what you should be worrying about worry about what your power goal is....do some research on CFMs thats the importanat number...a health D should be good to around 200hp after there you are gonna chance busting some ringlands, shoot for $180 and have a fun DD
Old 07-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much boost? (Loserkidwac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loserkidwac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea you need some kind of fuel management FMU, AFC or Chipped ECU...I've never heard of fuel lines busting on a turbo car? If you aren't running an IC you shoul dbe if you want to make any decent power...

You want to know how many psi i you can run and you don't even tell us what motor..there is 2 non si but since you had to do MPFI conversion I'll assume its a DX and you didn't tell us what turbo you are running...psi isn't what you should be worrying about worry about what your power goal is....do some research on CFMs thats the importanat number...a health D should be good to around 200hp after there you are gonna chance busting some ringlands, shoot for $180 and have a fun DD </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok afc is some hack *** **** u dont want that,get your ecu chiped and tuned. with turboedit ull be fine.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much boost? (vteckillenzc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok afc is some hack *** **** u dont want that,get your ecu chiped and tuned. with turboedit ull be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything is better than nothing...but chipped ECU is the best choice as long as you get it tuned...if you aren't going to take the time or money to have it done right then you will pop the motor anyway
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how long u plan on driving it with the turbo on there?will it be daily driven?i mean comeone when doing boosted project you really dont want to be cutting cornors anywhere.cause then your just creating a weak link.and that aint always good.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

guys he has a mini mi... starts at 10.5:1 upwards to 11.5:1 CR i beleive.... the CR is high and weak D series rods. ide keep it udner 2psi honestly... and make sure you have a fuel management system, not just fuel supply. you need ot have it tuned. tuned... if your not tuned stay under 1.1psi

compression is to high to start. minime's dont last the longest in the first place, now boost as well? carefull : (

just my 2 cents
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yea dude, mini me's are high compression and is not good for turbo. Escpicially if you used a 3 laye head gasket. (y8)