Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   how to hook up a shift light.? (not a diy) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-hook-up-shift-light-not-diy-2157002/)

tyler100 11-21-2007 08:17 AM

how to hook up a shift light.? (not a diy)

I was wondering if anybody would know how to hook up a shift light to a stock tach?
I have searched and haven't found anything. I found one post but it diddnt really tell how to do it. I got the shift light off a junk ebay tach that i got and the tach was fried and i don't want a gaudy tach on my dash. so i was thinking i could just wire up the shift light off of it.

oh and its a 88 crx si if that helps any.

-TYLER

ComeOnKip 11-21-2007 08:45 AM

Re: how to hook up a shift light.? (tyler100)

find what i believe is the blue with a white tracer wire out of the back of the tach side of your cluster harness, T off of that, give it a switched power and ground ( so the thing doesn't have power all the time ) and you should be ready to rock and roll. IMO its THE most annoying mod you can do unless its one of the LED ones where you can dim it or turn it off. Bright lights in your face at night is no good.

tyler100 11-21-2007 08:47 AM

thanks, wont it only flash at redline?

ComeOnKip 11-21-2007 09:45 AM

it'll flash at whatever the rpm of the pill you have in it.

thevtecnician 11-21-2007 11:28 AM

Re: (ComeOnKip)

The tach wire on the back of the cluster is blue. There is also a black/yellow wire back there you could use for the power source. Its a 12v+ switched power source

allmotorteg02 11-25-2007 08:19 PM

tyler 100 thanks for askin the question i was researching also becauae i dont want one of those big dopey tachs in my view lol i want it ran through the stock tach but it dont make sense i think it will only work when u hit red line.

tacorunner87 12-23-2007 10:55 PM

Re: how to hook up a shift light.? (allmotorteg02)

Ok on my 88crx it looks to be blue w/ gray or green tracer and theres also a white w/ blue tracer can i stick an ohm meter or something on ther to test

or is it better to run it to the coil?

Modified by tacorunner87 at 12:10 AM 12/24/2007

TiMiD703 12-26-2007 03:40 AM

is there a way where you can adjust it to light up at a certian RPM?

LIMITLESS22 12-26-2007 09:08 AM

Re: (TiMiD703)

If you use an autometer shift light or something like it, the light is activated by a "pill" which you plug into the light. These "pills" are availabe in different rpm's. To change the activation of the light you just insert a different "pill"

Hanmin 12-26-2007 09:42 AM

some tach lights work through vibration, there should be an adjuster knob some where on the light.

IMALLSLO 12-26-2007 05:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tyler100 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering if anybody would know how to hook up a shift light to a stock tach?
I have searched and haven't found anything. I found one post but it diddnt really tell how to do it. I got the shift light off a junk ebay tach that i got and the tach was fried and i don't want a gaudy tach on my dash. so i was thinking i could just wire up the shift light off of it. -TYLER</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are running just the shift light off of a broken tach,you cant. The tach sends the signal to the light. No wiring is available. You should have two black wires right? Am I on the right path? This isnt a stand alone shift light with RPM pills? If it is then I must have misread the post.

hondamn1320 12-26-2007 06:33 PM

Re: how to hook up a shift light.? (IMALLSLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMALLSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you are running just the shift light off of a broken tach,you cant. The tach sends the signal to the light. No wiring is available. You should have two black wires right? Am I on the right path? This isnt a stand alone shift light with RPM pills? If it is then I must have misread the post.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you are right.

what you can do is buy a set of those pills and grab the one for the RPM you want the shift light to turn on. then cut one of the wires in half and connect each side of the wire to each side of the pills prong. and that should work. i used one of those autometer shift lights that take the pill and altered it to how i wanted it. the bulb is in the top of the cluster and shines down onto the tachometer, so there is no bright light in my face but i still know when to shift. :D