Help Thread! How much trouble am I in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Thread! How much trouble am I in?

Here's the deal...I crashed my CRX into the back of an F-150 about 4 months ago, and it's been sitting in my garage half fixed ever since. I replaced the radiator, hood, etc. but the biggest problem has yet to be solved. The sub-frame, or cross-member under the car has been cracked, and is almost ripped through all the way. After driving on this not realizing that I didnt fix everything, the camber became ultra negative and the tires were worn down to the wire within a couple days. I was thinking today, maybe I can weld it back together and not have to spend 400 dollars to buy a new one? I Know that I need new tires and an alignment for sure...so expenses arent cheap as it is.

I need your opinion on taking the sub-frame out of the car (its an 88 so its bolted on), pushing the sides together and welding the rip, and after that welding two iron sheets to each side to reinforce it. Ive been told that doing this will fix the problem and actually make it stronger than factory sub-frames, but Im still not sure.

Any help would be appreciated, anybody with problems like this in the past or just knowledge of this section of the car.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Thread! How much trouble am I in? (crxxxrc)

are u talking about the cross member with the contol arms or the one with thr radius rods on it they both unbolt from the car...i thinking if thr damage was that bad u might have tweeked the chassis of the car ,got to love a unibody car.i hope this info helps.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Help Thread! How much trouble am I in? (B SERIES US)

yeah, you can get an aftermarket front crossmember from a number of sources but wether it bolts up or not after the original one has basically been bent inward and probably pulled the 2 lower supports with it.. you'll have a problem

However if it fits and bolts up.. you're good to go. But that will be the deciding factor.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help Thread! How much trouble am I in? (crxxxrc)

thats not camber wear its toe wear