Notices

90 si EF randomly wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 si EF randomly wont start?

So let me tell you everything thats happening..
I have a '90 SI Civic with a ZC; DC Headers, Exhaust, AEM short-ram intake, integra ECU.

It will randomly not start, all the electrical systems will come on but the car just wont turn over.. If I bump-start it the car will be fine, I can turn it off right after it is bump-started and it will start right up.. But after sitting all night it wont start.. It has a small oil leak, maybe 1-2 drops a night.. I have no Catalytic converter and it has white smoke under acceraltion and when started (Idk what the smoke is) ... When I floor it the car bogs out and wont rev past 2000 RPM's unless I kill the engine and turn it back on while driving. Also I have to give the car gas during start up to keep it from stalling initially(5-10 seconds)

So to sum it up, The car wont start unless bump-started first then runs fine till the next day. It bogs out under heavy acceleration and wont come back to normal unless car is restarted. Car smokes white.

It isnt throwing any CEL's
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 si EF randomly wont start?

bump, I would like to know.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows the motor miles wise my old motor did the same **** but rhat was bcuz my head gasket rings and valves were shot when i would go places i wouldnt turn off the car lol
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest doing a compression check on it. Could just be a bad distributor, but the symtoms sound like the motor is toast.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the smoke white or "blue"
could be a fueling issue.. to much gas leaking injector.. something like this or could be a bad sensor as well
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK OK OK slow down!!!!
Is the starter not cranking at all?(you turn the key and nothing happens)
Or does it crank and not fire?

If it is not cranking when you turn the key then it can be one of two primary things:
1: bad started that only works in the right position.(if this is the case you can usually get it started by parking in in 1st gear, e-brake OFF and rock the car back and forth. This actually turns the motor. Sometimes this is all it takes to get the starter to go.

2: bad ignition switch (they wear out sometimes)

Now for the number ONE likely cause!!!!
If the car is cranking and not firing then it is almost guaranteed to be the ignition relay. 88-91 civics/crxs are very very very notorious for this.

I can tell you how to check it if you respond to if it is cranking or not
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor isn't toast

The smoke, I want to say has a blueish tint to it. (Oil)

It is not cranking over, I will turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump start to flow but no other sounds other than a slight electrical noise..

**I was looking at it today and there is a set of wires that are almost completely worn through so I am going to clip and rewire those.. They are coming off the distributor.**

Thank you for the reply's!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mite check ignition coil i had a weak one before and it made the car run like ****, was jus getn weak spark but still had one
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hexrx
Motor isn't toast

The smoke, I want to say has a blueish tint to it. (Oil)

It is not cranking over, I will turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump start to flow but no other sounds other than a slight electrical noise..

**I was looking at it today and there is a set of wires that are almost completely worn through so I am going to clip and rewire those.. They are coming off the distributor.**

Thank you for the reply's!
Like I stated earlier, the starter might be bad. Sometimes when they start to wear out they get stuck and won't crank. Next time your car does not start. put it in first gear with the ebrake off and rock it. If it's the starter this will get it to start. So much easier than push starting it.
I had a friend a few months back who had the same problem. He had to keep push starting it and I told him this trick. He didn't believe me so I drove all the way to his house, did it and wah-la "you're welcome" lol.
Of coarse in your case it could be a bad distributor or ignition switch aswell
Old 02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check out the ignition and starter, thank you guys.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so a small problem has come up.. I looked back at the ecu, and it is throwing a few codes... (7 blinks - TPS) (8 blinks - TDC) (14 blinks - IACV)

Could this cause the car to bog out(It cuts out and will only rev to 2000 rpms untill I cut the power then it is fine, even whilst driving.) when and only when I floor it?

Refering to the first post.. Alot of these seem quite accurate, TPS could be the reason I have to rev on cold start and it has weird idle... IACV could also be part of this, but could they be the reason it cuts out? As for the TDC... I have no clue what the hell that is for? : /

Last edited by hexrx; 02-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As always.. I dug deeper and found more issues... The valve cover gasket is blown, leaking oil into cylinder 3.

Car is running rich? Spark plugs are alil bit white n crusty.. Yet the muffler becomes soot covered within a day?

Last edited by hexrx; 02-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.