Notices

HELP igntion problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP igntion problem!

Well on my EF it has a jdm b16a obd0 and i was driving it one day and the clutch was going out on it, so i decided to put it down and since i was going through so much trouble why not do a little clean up in the bay, and put new oem gaskets (cam seals,dizzy ring, ect.) on her so she'll be a champ with no oil leaks.
Before she went down she was running really really good. But my problem is that when i put everything together the first time she started right up but was burning coolant. Teared her back down replace the one piece head gasket and put in a oem three layer. Started her up she fired right up, but was still burning coolant so i decided to tear her down once again. And take her to the machine shop and the guy there said the block was fine no cracks or leaks, and the head had a leak on the 4th chamber resurfaced it! all said and done put it all back together and tried to start her up she studdered, but fired up and than as soon as i turn the key down to II it shuts right off? i thought it might of been the dizzy so i bought a new dizzy and she still studdered and did the same thing! PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
what i did was
1-checked for sparks -YEAH SPARKS
2-FUEL PUMP - YEAH PRIMES
3-CHECKED GROUNDS-ALL GOOD GROUNDED
4-BATTERY-GOOD reads 12.v when it's not started and when started before it read like in the 14. on my radar
5-starter-all power on it is good
6-spark plugs are not fouled cuz it still sparks

i dont know what else to do guys please help me i'm thinking it has to do something with the igntion switch because the previous own somehow was kinda a douche and unscrew the two screws that held the wires going into the igntion switch at the back off! and when i put it back on and screwed it. It never started like your normal car can that be it? please help and please feel free to email me too
kouylis@yahoo.com

oh yeah one more thing did a comp test! all four cylinders read STRONG! above 120 range can't remember the number straight off my head!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP igntion problem!

alright i need help please!

check for sparks again it works
went to change the ignition w/ new keys and new igntion wire and it still studdered like it did with the old igntion!

i dont' know what to do the only difference i did was put on a b16a2 intake mani and took off the ugly b16a pgfm mani! can that be it? the other mani is broken any help?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by EKLIS
alright i need help please!

i dont' know what to do the only difference i did was put on a b16a2 intake mani and took off the ugly b16a pgfm mani! can that be it? the other mani is broken any help?
was the manifold broken when it was installed before??
sorry im not much of a B series tech guy but you didnt have to replace the ignition tumbler just the ignition switch that goes to the back of the tumbler. *unless u like carrying two keys one for door and one for igniton?*

"i thought it might of been the dizzy so i bought a new dizzy and she still studdered and did the same thing! PLEASE HELP ME OUT! "

studdering like a vacuum leak or gasket leak??? or low idle???
if it is a vacuum leak check with a can of carb clean around the manifold and other area's where u might of done work to.
i mean if u replace your tumbler and switch i cant see it in this area where your having your problems.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's always nice to rule the distributor out.

sounds worthwhile to fix that ignition switch also (not the tumbler/key, but the electrical portion like 5150 said)..... BUT usually when something goes wrong, it's not random like that. your problem likely has something to do with your repairs.

i would triple check all your grounds, and look for any blown fuses - under hood & dash - if you haven't done that already.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks i'll get back to you guys tomorrow i'm gonna replace my electircal portion of my ignition! get it all done and said for! after that i'm gonna pull off my intake mani and take off the iacv and see if anything is wrong!
and no nothing is wrong with the mani the only thing i did was put in a new nipple for the coolant thing by the side of it because someone took it out!

i'll update tomorrow thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aite guys i got the car to start and idle sounds good but i got another problem now!
it was me putting the wrong coolant line on the wrong nipple on the intake and throttle body!
Car starts but no RPM on cluster everything else works, and when i get on the gas pedal seems like its' gonna stall!

i'm gonna check my fuse in a bit!

Last edited by EKLIS; 01-17-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP anybody ? desperate for help
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM

BUMP anybody ? desperate for help
whats your problem now??
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i start the car it idles fine! But the beeping noise in the car won't go away, and the ecu led light won't go away on top of that my cluster is working except for my rpm!

Another thing is that when i get on the gas pedal give it a little air it seems like it's gonna SHUT DOWN it's doing the opposite like the rpm goes down instead of going up when u give it some air!
weird !
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

when i start the car it idles fine! But the beeping noise in the car won't go away, and the ecu led light won't go away on top of that my cluster is working except for my rpm!

Another thing is that when i get on the gas pedal give it a little air it seems like it's gonna SHUT DOWN it's doing the opposite like the rpm goes down instead of going up when u give it some air!
weird !
the beeping noise is it the chime when u leave ur key's in the ignition or when u keep your door open????

and after you redid your repair's, do your car rev more then 3000 rpm's???
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF_5150
the beeping noise is it the chime when u leave ur key's in the ignition or when u keep your door open????

and after you redid your repair's, do your car rev more then 3000 rpm's???
i can't even tell because my rpm gauge in my cluster doesn't read anything, and it doesn't sound like it's reving over 3000 rpm when i start it!

the beeping noise doesn't go away when i start the engine and got it running, the ecu light won't go away it's really frustrating! One problem after another!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM

swap ecu's
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DTA-Zombie
swap ecu's
i don't know anyone in town that has a ecu that i can borrow but i doubt it's my ecu
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well put your other back on and see if the tach works or check all your wiring you probably bumped the tach wire that comes from the dizzy, make sure to double check your timing how much did you get machined off...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^thanks ej junky for the advice, and the head wasn't bad at all it a very little that he machined off still got a lot of room to resurface.
But i put my old dizzy back in and see if it would work and it worked! my Tach cam back and it's working and when i get on the gas pedal it actually going up!

But the other problem is my beeping noise. It's not the door indicator or the key in ignition! it sounds like my ECU, and the LED light won't go away after the car starts! They both won't go away after car is started!

^^^never happned like that before anyone else know what to do?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump i'll double check very thing and see if it's gonna be a running car soon! If i have coolant in my exhaust before how long would it take to burn off that stuff?