Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Help! Door light/seatbelt alarm won't go off (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/help-door-light-seatbelt-alarm-wont-go-off-2661418/)

CRX Lover 10-11-2009 12:24 AM

Help! Door light/seatbelt alarm won't go off

I have seen a number of threads here about shutting off the seatbelt chime; none of them addressed my problem. I recently bought a restored 90 CRX DX and the door does not seem to be seated correctly. My body guy is out of town this week. While driving, the door ajar light came on, and the seatbelt chime will not stop beeping. It is making me crazy mad, as I have to drive over an hour to a job site on monday. Is there anyway I can make this stop beeping until my body guy can take the door apart? When it first started and I shut the car off, there was a clicking sound in the door where the seat belt goes into the panel. And, as this is a 1990, there are no airbags to deal with. I'm hoping someone can give me an answer, like pulling a fuse or disconnecting a wire. If I have to listen to this for a week I'll probably shoot myself!

BiG ChOr!Zo 10-11-2009 12:26 AM

Re: Help! Door light/seatbelt alarm won't go off

disconnect the green plug connected to the box located behind the stereo next to the firewall...the beeping will go away...!!!

CRX Lover 10-11-2009 12:29 AM

Okay, I'm not a mechanic, just a girl who can be handy with tools when needed. Do I have to pull the stereo? Because I believe the guy who restored the car told me he put a steel plate behind there to keep the heater control panel from breaking. Is this something I can get at under the hood?

BiG ChOr!Zo 10-11-2009 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by CRX Lover (Post 40252585)
Okay, I'm not a mechanic, just a girl who can be handy with tools when needed. Do I have to pull the stereo? Because I believe the guy who restored the car told me he put a steel plate behind there to keep the heater control panel from breaking. Is this something I can get at under the hood?

no just bend over on the passenger side inside the vehicle and stick your hand behind the stereo and lift up the carpet...there should be a black box sitting next to the firewall...pull up the black cover on the side and there will be two plugs connected to the box...pull out the green plug with wires and you are done;)

CRX Lover 10-11-2009 12:38 AM

Ahh, thank you!! That sounds pretty easy. As soon as the sun comes out I'll be doing this! I'll let you know how it works.

BiG ChOr!Zo 10-11-2009 12:41 AM

:hugs:

CRX Lover 10-11-2009 12:45 AM

Haha!! Thank you!! BTW, do you know what might be causing the door light and seatbelt chime to be on all the time? My body guy thought it might be that the door latch is not making a secure connection to the strike plate, but was curious about the clicking sound inside the door as well. He didn't have time to help me when the problem first happened and then left town for a few days. I would love to give him some helpful advice when he returns!

BiG ChOr!Zo 10-11-2009 12:52 AM

for the seat belt chime disconnect the green plug...for the door light it could be the little L shape clip located by where the door closes...just move it back and forth and see if it works back to normal...if not you might have to replace the L clip...!!!

CRX Lover 10-11-2009 12:59 AM

The L clip doesn't reset - I tried - I think the fact that the door has a problem sealing correctly might have something to do with it. If I shut the door normally it doesn't seal; I have to slam it to get it to shut and you can tell by the sound that it doesn't like being shut that hard, but at least it will stay shut and not open while I'm driving!!

AND I thought it was weird that the door open light AND the seatbelt light/chime were going off at the same time. I know the chime would go off if the door thought it was ajar, but why would the seatbelt light be flashing at the same time? Crazy!

I miss my recently totaled CRX HF. She never gave me these kinds of problems!!

CRX Lover 10-30-2009 07:33 PM

Well, here's how it all went. I could not find the green plug - there was no black box that opened behind the stereo. I found some instructions online about taking the seatbelt chime out completely, and that is what I ended up doing. It is located in the little pod in front of the rear view mirror, behind where the seat belt signs flash. I am happy to say the noise has abated, the door seems to have realized it's not open, and life is good!

BiG ChOr!Zo 10-30-2009 07:37 PM

must be different for the crx's because the 90-91 ef sedans have the box located behind the stereo with the green plug...!!!

CRX Lover 10-30-2009 07:48 PM

Yeah, I think it is. I had pictures of cables leading to the fuse; pictures of the box, etc. Took it to my brother, he thought the box was under the plate on the floor. But it only took him 5 minutes to dismantle the chime. Big brothers rock! (especially ones who can work on cars and teach girls about tools!!)

Jovi 11-02-2009 06:10 AM

my crx is doing the same thing! would you happen to have the website where it showed you how to take the seatbelt chime out?

CRX Lover 11-02-2009 07:13 AM

For some reason I can't find the site where I found it, but basically here's the drill:
There is a little pod in front of the rear view mirror. You'll see the seatbelt icons in the front of it. Carefully remove the back of that pod. Then take a screwdriver and unscrew the assembly - your mirror will come down. You will see a round black dome with a hole in it - that is the buzzer. You'll have to take it off of the circuit board completely to get it to stop, so be sure that's what you want to do. Then screw the mirror back up, and try to get the back of the pod back on. We broke the 2 little tabs on mine so have had to do a different fix to get it to stay up. Hope that helps.

Jovi 11-02-2009 07:06 PM

okay, that seems easy enough. I'll try that out in the next day or two. Thanks!

88DXCRX 11-02-2009 07:29 PM

The times I have seen this, it was because the stop/horn fuse
under the hood was blown and the warning goes off
because you have no stop lights..

Does the horn work? how about the brake lights?

P.S. By-passing the safety mechanisms is not always the best solution..

Lou B 05-22-2010 03:53 PM

For those who dislike the seatbelt alarm...and are self motivated enough to buckle up when necessary, there is a new product out that shuts off the seatbelt alarm without any tools or rewiring. There are times when you don't need the seat belts buckled, such as slow driving on private property, or parked wanting to listen to the radio. Get on the net and type in "seat belt alarm stop" Lou B

D16SiHatch 05-22-2010 08:34 PM

yea thats totally more cost effective then just unplugging something lol

mikecp 05-22-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo (Post 40252602)
no just bend over on the passenger side inside the vehicle and stick your hand behind the stereo and lift up the carpet...there should be a black box sitting next to the firewall...pull up the black cover on the side and there will be two plugs connected to the box...pull out the green plug with wires and you are done;)

Is it the same for 91 Hatchies?

D16SiHatch 05-23-2010 10:56 AM

it wasn't for mine. no such box was in that area. i did however determine that if you unplug the seatbelt light thingamuhjig near the rearview mirror it will stop the beeping.

freydaddy 05-23-2010 02:33 PM

i always thought you could unplug the connector under the seat hooked to the seat belt latch.

mikecp 05-23-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by freydaddy (Post 42557862)
i always thought you could unplug the connector under the seat hooked to the seat belt latch.

thats what i did but it seems to be messing with the speedometer light that turns on when you turn on the headlights. :crook:

00eddie00(95eg) 08-08-2010 08:26 PM

well on my 89 crx si the door light stays on and i think its somthing to do with my left door becuase i stared at the light while i shut the door kind hard and the light flickerd. im guessing its the l bracket thing or what could it be?

dirrtytxzboy 08-19-2010 11:10 AM

im an owner of a 90 honda crx hf and i had this same problem about 2 weeks ago. i took it to get inspected, leaving the inspectors "it" started. i pulled the rear view buzzer off. a week after my car wouldnt start due the lights draining my battery. i can seem to figure out how to kill this problem completely.

CRX Lover 09-08-2010 05:29 PM

Hey, dirtytxzboy, did you ever figure out the problem? About 2 months ago the whole clicking-in-the-door began again, and the "door open/seat belt" lights flash. The door clicks, the lights come on, then the door clicks and they go off, over and over. I've pretty much ignored it, but now the door has been clicking after I shut it off, and it seems to be draining the battery dry.

Has anyone had any experience taking the door panel off and finding the electronics for this? I think I need to disconnect the wiring or something - my bodyshop guy is scratching his head and can't help me on this one.