Notices

having affair with FIT ... am i wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having affair with FIT ... am i wrong?

I've had my EF for +18yrs...dumped over $30k into it... track it, show it, and love it.
I'm not a huge fan of switching civic/integra platforms from EF to EG only to EK or DC... pointless.
Don't worry, I'm never selling the EF..

BUT lately I've been thinking about retiring the EF and getting a +2015 Honda Fit for several reasons:
- structural integrity
- cleaner/newer chassie
- new engine options
- exterior .. has to be more areodynamic than my shoebox/brick EF hb
- improved wheelbase & track width

Few concerns:
- the higher weight of 2,600lbs (vs. my full interior, bswap boosted t & body kit at 2,400lbs)
- scarcity of future oem new/used parts availability since total sales is not as high as past gen Civics.
- limited aftermarket support in US except overseas ... lol

BUT i can really see myself building, tracking a new fit for the next +15 years... where as my EF maybe only another 5 years left in her.

THOUGHTS?

Would you GO EF guys see the newer Fits worthy enough to cheat on your EF?

Last edited by Charlie Moua; 07-28-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: having affair with FIT ... am i wrong?

yes the honda fit only fits me ^_^
its a 4 dr hatch but its the size of the ef's almost
so youd get used to driving it within about 10 minutes
easy
the front end is really nice looking and its a car that not alot of people have like the accord and civic
so its unique and swap able with all the k series stuff
you just have to find one in good shape and one thats not over priced
if you still have your wagon the fit is really just the newer modal of the ef wagon
like the crz is to the crx
Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My mum had an 06 with the 1.5 vtec motor and I thought it was a fantastic and fun car to drive. It was agile, shifter had good feel to it, steering had nice feedback... I found the revs would hang a bit sometimes between shifts which felt odd compared to typical old hondas, but I'd have no reservations making one into a track car.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My vote would be to pickup an early Fit and enjoy it. All the vtec.academy videos about the new turbo 1.5 are making we wonder if you could swap one of those into a fit? Too tall?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahambo02
My vote would be to pickup an early Fit and enjoy it.
This would be my vote based on my wife having one. It's basically the same deal as an EF just newer (wagovan if you want a better comparison).
Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i myself am indulging in a GD3 affair. at first I was not exactly sold on drive by wire. the cable type is obviously a bit more sensitive. The weight is a bit different and can not really compare to the horsepower weight ratio of the fourth generation civic hatchback but the vtec and gearing do make it a pleasure to drive and very solid over 100. i have had the fit since new 2008 still yet to have a problem with anything. just over 80k not even a scheduled tune up has come up. the GD3 fit is like a fourth generation civic in which all the parts are better built and still available including as many sets of floor mats you could ever want. i feel like its the last available vehicle from honda which retains the original spirit of the “civic” it also has the 4x100 lug pattern making all your vintage wheels pretty much ready to mount. the spirit of a honda of the past. be careful with the newer U S fit series 2015 models ushered in a little surprise to unsuspecting honda junkies a manufacture origin in Mexico. the only one in the series out now for the U S market that still has a japanese vin is the EX with CVT. I think some LX with CVT too. the manual 6spd version has what seems to be mixed manufacturing which finishes off in Mexico and does not have japanese vin. I have tried to get someone from american honda to answer if it is still even possible to get a new fit with manual transmission with a japanese manufacture origin. apparently no one seems to be able to answer this. the 2018 fit is about to be in the U S dealers soon enough we can see the vin’s. I think its gonna be the same stuff though the EX with CVT made in japan. manual EX probably from Mexico. The new Sport for 2018 is the last hope . fingers crossed in has a japanese vin. 2006-2014 the GD and GE chassis both have exclusive japanese manufacturing origin. A really nice 2008 GD3 fit sport goes for about 5000ish right now. these have a japanese vin. i feel like my 2008 with 80k just broke in L15A seems to be a nice little motor too. be careful with the 2015-2018 quite possibly no japanese vin. The 2018 mugen FIT from japan is the one we all wish would make it here. http://www.mugen-power.com/automobil...FIT_201706.pdf

Charlie I have a valve cover in need of some love. you still doing these?

Last edited by sh1ntaox; 08-02-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah bud. I still do powder coating. just message me on FB.

Thanks for the feed back.
I'm going to test drive a +2015 fit soon... financially might make more sense to get a 2018
Old 08-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just took a peek on a dealer website to see if any 2018 fit arrived on the lot as of yet. looks like they have received some and from what it looks like all of the models now have a VIN starting with a 3. hmm. i mean for a good portion of the fourth generation civics they are all canadian VIN or honda america VIN so i guess it is just if you are loving the construction style. from what i had felt while in a fit with a VIN starting with a 3 was not very similar to what i felt while in a fit with a VIN starting with a J. same can be said for the fourth generation civic construction there are obvious differences in the quality and care that has been put into the assembly in a made in japan Honda. it took me years of use of both versions to really see the difference. to me its really quite depressing i had high hopes for the 2018 fit to be offered with a 100% made in japan sticker. sigh. this is only preliminary investigating, hopefully I’m totally wrong.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have started my search for some sort of FIT at insurance auction; ie minor damage/hail/etc
I am looking for a 5spd manual only, also want one from Japan ( I will not buy one made in MX) and the only 3 colors I am interested in in order are White, Silver, RED
also will try to keep it under 100k miles and all stock. prefer a rear hit.

Got to think ahead for when parts can't be found for the EF
Old 08-09-2017, 01:15 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honda Fit has a coefficient of drag of 0.35
ef civic is .28 to 0.32 depending on the model
so no it is not more aerodynamic
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it isn't cheating though. that's like saying having another kid is like abandoning your first. I have 6 civics and a GM G body. I just this year sold my Odyssey, 1970 beetle, Mk4 VW TDI, and 2 saturns (all were modified). Of the Civics, 1 of the 4th gens is a 5 speed donor for my auto 4th gen and the 7th gen is my daily and is bone stock; the other 3 are 6th gens. It just depends on what you can afford and have time for. Yes, I could have a 80K luxury car, but I prefer to own a variety of tastefully modded cars instead.

there is nothing wrong with building another car; the fit is a nice car. I'd own one. I've also been considering replacing my daily with a CRV, 8th gen Civic, or Fit. I started getting into multiple cars as a function of needing winter cars, then it became 'oh, I need a summer daily', then i stopped trying to justify it to myself... just said eff it, I want what I want, and that's all there is to it.