Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   H22 crx (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/h22-crx-2917337/)

JdmCrx209 03-30-2011 09:16 PM

H22 crx

i have a few question in mind...im on a budget build...im going to pick up a complete obd1 h22a1 for my crx...my question is can i use everything on that engine and drop it right in? or can someone link me to a h22a1 crx build thread? and i was wondering has anyone used the ebay h22 mounts? and how well does that work out? much info is appreciated thanks!! and btw this is going to be my first swap ever!

JdmCrx209 03-30-2011 10:28 PM

Re: H22 crx

Bump before bed...

dephtone 03-31-2011 04:17 AM

This is where I would do my research from.

http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/ESPEFDAH22.html

They have all the parts you need and they all work. All your questions about the swap can be answered there more than likely.

Personally I would think the ebay mounts won't be your best option, as ebay knockoff stuff usually tends to fit like crap. I am more of a do it right the first time rather than having to spend money on the duplicate items, tends to be cheaper in the long run as you aren't buying 3 different mount kits because the first 2 don't fit correctly.

Good luck with your first swap, nothing like diving right in head first lol.

jrbump 03-31-2011 06:04 AM

^ that's the mount kit I have (esp).

Couldn't be happier.

JdmCrx209 03-31-2011 10:15 AM

yea i decided to go with the ESP mounts....the only thing i have so far is the Complete H22A1 and obd0 to obd1 jumper harness...the motor isn't going to be in my car for another couple months due to money issues...P13 Chipped ecu like 250$...ESP mounts like another 500$...and im guessing it's gonna cost another 300-500 for the rest of the parts like...axles and shift linkage?

dephtone 03-31-2011 10:20 AM

Are you running the h22 tranny or h2b adapter plate? I believe that transmission has the 2 cables coming from the shifter.

JdmCrx209 03-31-2011 10:26 AM

im going yo run the stock h22 tranny due to money issues right now...maybe in the long run ill go H2B

chambersef8 03-31-2011 04:48 PM

Check out Bisi's H2D kit, you use your existing D series tranny and axles.

KINGVEM^^ED6 03-31-2011 06:07 PM

first swap your going to do a h22...wow you got balls kid...do you have a homie whos gonna help? if not id search search search...like stated dont buy cheap shit you will regret it in the end...gl op have fun and let us know how it goes

JdmCrx209 03-31-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by chambersef8 (Post 44983531)
Check out Bisi's H2D kit, you use your existing D series tranny and axles.

Thanks! That's ah smart idea and it's gonna save me slot of hassles with the axels!! And it's only 1100$ with mounts!! I'm looking forward to that kit soon!

JdmCrx209 03-31-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6 (Post 44984002)
first swap your going to do a h22...wow you got balls kid...do you have a homie whos gonna help? if not id search search search...like stated dont buy cheap shit you will regret it in the end...gl op have fun and let us know how it goes

I have couple homies that has done swaps before but nothing I'n the H series...yea that's right I'm not gonna go the cheap route I'm just gonna save up n get that H2D kit...the only reason why I'm doping a H swap is cuz im getting the whole complete swap with papers n pink slip for 600$..running!! Low miles!!...i won't be back on here for ah while untill i get that kit...and is the wiring hard to mess with?

KINGVEM^^ED6 03-31-2011 06:38 PM

you can have someone wire it if its not your cup of tea my homie CLIPSED does wiring hes the best if you want his contact info pm me :thumbup:

JdmCrx209 03-31-2011 06:42 PM

Yes i wouldnt mind..how much you think he'll charge? And is he around the central valley?

KINGVEM^^ED6 03-31-2011 06:46 PM

hes right here in socal pm me for more info

CPT Del sol 03-31-2011 10:37 PM

haha he said he is on a budget and then wants to go h22 on a crx!!

DUDE THATS LIKE SITTING ON THE TV AND WATCHING THE COUCH.. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SINCE LOL

If thats your idea of a budget then I want to know if they are hiring where you work

hatchet_honda 04-01-2011 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JdmCrx209 (Post 44977690)
i have a few question in mind...im on a budget build...im going to pick up a complete obd1 h22a1 for my crx...my question is can i use everything on that engine and drop it right in? or can someone link me to a h22a1 crx build thread? and i was wondering has anyone used the ebay h22 mounts? and how well does that work out? much info is appreciated thanks!! and btw this is going to be my first swap ever!

budget build aaand your first swap? and you choose the h22? its not gonna drop in easily. this motors heavier so youll need stiffer springs up front (to do it the right way) shifter cables from an accord or prelude. cutting holes for those cables...making room for your alternator or buying the relocation hasport bracket..

alot of cash is involved in these parts. i sold my h series cause it was making me broke and i work for coca cola.

hush22 04-01-2011 11:27 AM

He did say hes getting the motor for 600 and then if he does h2d which he stated was 1100. Thats still cheaper then an JDM H or any b-series. And if hes goin h2d then the swap is like doing a B swap. I think He be fine

However the altenator is goin to kick your ass!

Surfjunkie44 04-01-2011 11:38 AM

I spent quite some time researching the H22A into a CRX. It is a lot of work, a lot of parts, and a decent amount of fabrication. I warn you in advance, it is not a budget swap... there is no such thing as a properly done budget swap. Remember the old saying, "we do three kinds of jobs here, you can select two - good, fast, and cheap"... If longevity of your vehicle is important - as it should be to anyone without multiple race sponsors - do it right and buy quality parts. The headache, not to mention cost, of correcting previous bad decisions justifies initially purchasing slightly pricier parts. Best of luck with the swap.

hush22 04-01-2011 12:15 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Ive spend much time swaping H22s into crxs. He could possible accomplish this at 3kish if he goes H2D. and he might not even need the alternator mod. The D trans could pull it away far enough from the driver frame wall as that I have yet to install a H2D.

But heres some pictures to give yo a good idea on possible mods. This is an H2B. Shave and tuck not required.

Attachment 454870

Attachment 454871

Attachment 454872

Attachment 454873

Attachment 454874

Attachment 454875

Attachment 454876

Attachment 454877

H22 with H22 trans does require a little more work as far as Im concerned, but go for it. Just be perpared to have you car down for a while.

Attachment 454878

You could use this part on both swaps to help you clear the IM to Brake booster

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...photos/014.jpg

We relocated and installed a 96-00 civic IAT into the intake tube

JdmCrx209 04-01-2011 02:47 PM

doesn't ESP sells the alternator bracket for under 100$? and since im getting a complete H22 for 600$ and then going with the bisimo H2D...i could sell some parts off the h22 like the tranny? and all the other stuff im not going to use? this is what BISIMOTO stated about the kit "factory style axles, mounts, shift linkages, and gearbox sensors can economically remain intact. Strength of the individual gears is also a big plus. Unlike their B-series bretheren, D-based gears are "stubby", and take well to abuse." and it's going to save me alot of extra money..

Thanks alot for the info and help guys!! much appreciated!

teamredline9k 04-02-2011 01:52 PM

it will save you alot of money if you have access to a decent welder and build your own mounts and alt bracket isnt that hard to make i saved alot of money just from building my own mounts and i get the satistfaction of saying i swapped it in instead of buying a kit. just get a little creative and have people that can weld if you cant. thats the only way a budget h22 crx can be done in my opinion

JdmCrx209 04-02-2011 07:33 PM

I have access to my uncles mechanic shop, but i don't think I'll be up for it...seems to complicated...and I've took welding classes for 2 years but I think im still not that good at it.. Well c tho

hush22 04-03-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by JdmCrx209 (Post 44990233)
doesn't ESP sells the alternator bracket for under 100$? and since im getting a complete H22 for 600$ and then going with the bisimo H2D...i could sell some parts off the h22 like the tranny? and all the other stuff im not going to use? this is what BISIMOTO stated about the kit "factory style axles, mounts, shift linkages, and gearbox sensors can economically remain intact. Strength of the individual gears is also a big plus. Unlike their B-series bretheren, D-based gears are "stubby", and take well to abuse." and it's going to save me alot of extra money..

Thanks alot for the info and help guys!! much appreciated!

I haven't met anyone using the evolution kit yet, so the amount of clearance for the alternator in an EF on the driver side is unknown.

In the pictures above the CRX I swapped was using a QSD. Balance shafts had to be removed.

On ESP's website there is no mention of balance shaft removal for an EF chassis or if their bracket was designed for the balance shaft lower timing cog removed or not.

On our swap we decided to remove the cog to sink the crank pulley in as that no bracket out at the time would fit the alternator without having to cut the driver side frame wall or head light bucket. We also wanted the alternated mounted low for potenial turbo applications and in this case an RMF style header. Stock mounted H or D alternators four pin connector faced directly at and almost touched this header.

We wanted a bolt in design. The bracket we designed accommodated for that and also is tensioned by a Hyme joint.

http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/ESPHFALT.html

JdmCrx209 04-09-2011 01:42 PM

Thanks alot for the info guys...but i've decide to sell the h22 and picked up a b18a1 for now...maybe i'll swap the h22 in the rex in a year or less when tax season comes again...the only reason why i chaged swap plans was due to money issues...and the b18a1 seems to be a cheap swap and it'll drop right in...i'll be gladly to post updates as the progress goes...and thanks and for the useful info guys much appreciated

darkeye 03-10-2016 11:07 AM

what mount kit is that with the skunk2 manifold did you have to cut the firewall?