Notices

FAQ: Mugen CRX Pro Kit II Authentication Tips. Tell The Real Deal From Fakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FAQ: Mugen CRX Pro Kit II Authentication Tips. Tell The Real Deal From Fakes (SIred91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Let me be the first to say that we are all waiting on pins and needles for this to happen, I mean...you are our God in the EF forum...

But why, Lord, why, have you left us for sooo long....we have wandered aimlessly like the sheep we are, without your guidance to what is wholesome and good for our cars.

We have sheltered in the valley of the shadow of death, and lo, it has not been good. Why dost thee so choose to grace us with thine presence now?
We have suffered hardships and struggles beyond comprehension from the newb invasion of late. For behold....we have been overrun by inexperienced noobs....we cannot hold off the noob invasion on our own.

Please commit, Lord Bart, to stand firm in thy beleifs of EF. To hold fast to the truth that is thine own. To battle any non beleiver amongst the ranks of the rest of us, the unholy, the demon seed, the corrupt of car worldom that are known as:

THE EF'ERS OF THE WORLD!!

UNITE MY BRETHEREN! AND DON'T LOOK BACK, FOR THE FUTURE, AND ALL MANKIND.............IS OURS!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I am touched. BTW I am always watching, I just get tired of responding to the BS that is commonplace on here.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (reynardmauricio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reynardmauricio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it also depends on who puts it on... here's a side shot of my car with the ww sides...

and my vis front...

it's really hard to find a real mugen one when no one wants to ship to canada anymore </TD></TR></TABLE>

one of the sexiest crxs ive ever seen i could give to ***** if your kit is real. whoever did the work on your car is damn good and I give them props. usually i dont like body kits on crxs but i really like yours. i baught my car with a fully molded body kit and took everything off and put it to stock.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (layedoutat0psi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by layedoutat0psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

one of the sexiest crxs ive ever seen i could give to ***** if your kit is real. whoever did the work on your car is damn good and I give them props. usually i dont like body kits on crxs but i really like yours. i baught my car with a fully molded body kit and took everything off and put it to stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is one of my favorites. It's amazing how well those regular old cheap wheels, and WW kit, and VIS bumper look stunning with a good paint job. I might have to pick up a set of those wheels. They should look good on a champ white Mugened out CRX.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we got a real authentic mugen kit for my dads crx, just looking for a real front...90-91 cant wait!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4thGEN Kyle)

Yeah I finally got my real front bumper. I now have a real Pro.2 kit. It all fits soooooooo good! All I need now is paint! For anyone that is wondering. It took about 3 months to get it here to the US from Japan. It came into LA, and the next day I flew to Cali, bought another CRX, and put the bumper in it, and drove back to Ohio. Thats how serious I am about Mugen! I had $750 in the front bumper, and I had $400 in the rest of the kit. So I now have a real kit for $1150, not counting airfares, gas, and what not, and a whole lot of dedication. Now I need to do it all over again, and get another kit for my new CRX! Just kidding, I never want to do this again. I am sure I will have more money in it. It is just getting too hard to find these parts, and I practically stole everything except my front bumper. I got it from ricedrex here on H-T. I guess he wanted it gone bad.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: Mugen CRX Pro Kit II Authentication Tips. Tell The Real Deal From Fakes

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. But since alot of you here have tons of Pro II experience, I figured Id ask. I have the complete kit, with the soft wing. But I am missing a few parts. Im sure some of you have the soft wing, without the original brackets. Anyone fabricate a replica of those ? I have some blurry original manuals, but figured maybe someone has already gone down this path.

Btw, if anyone know where I can find the mugen logo for the wing, that would be great too. I found my sideskirt mugen logos tucked under the cars carpet when I was taking the kit off, huge luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: Mugen CRX Pro Kit II Authentication Tips. Tell The Real Deal From Fakes

my w2ings west kit didnt look like that one lol looked dead on the mugen kit and was licensed
Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

west wing used to look like the mugen kit to me. thank you for this infomation, now its obvious to me they arent even close.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what would one think the real deal mugen front bumper can go for because after going threw this thread i lucked out because i purchased a front cilp with a real deal mugen front bumper that is mint. now instead of going threw the headache of looking for the whole kit i plan on selling it. seen the front bumper before on ebay for for at least 1500
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry bringing this thread back from the dead. But does any one know what a complete authentic Pro II kit with the foam wing goes for nowadays ? I may sell mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by enabi
Sorry bringing this thread back from the dead. But does any one know what a complete authentic Pro II kit with the foam wing goes for nowadays ? I may sell mine.
300-450..ive seen em sell for anywhere between those prices depending condition and what it comes with.

Why arent you using it?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol if you find me an authentic Mugen kit for 300-400 I'll buy it, and give you $100 finders bonus. I've seen just the foam wing go for 300. I'm not using it because I haven't found the right crx for it.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxforum
Since people have always been misinformed about this and unable to spot authentic Mugen Pro Kit II Ill make this post in here and create a thread explaining to all so that there is no more confusion about the subject and make it clear to all hopefully.

Here we go.

The authentic Mugen Pro Kit II, both the 88-89 and 90-91 designs were made out of fiberglass only. The differences between the two are minimal. Essentially one of the only major changes to the design was that the front bumper was modified to fit the bumper lights because the 90-91 CRX had wrap around style while the 88-89 had rectangle lights. The Wings West RS Kit and other similar kits to that use 90-91 USDM bumper lights in the front bumper and if you look closely are not even close to Mugen Pro Kit II at all.

Here is what that looks like.

The only other change to the front bumper is the size of the vents that go under the bumper lights. In the 88-89 version you can see that they are like half of the size of the 90-91 Style. It is clearly visible in this picture.

The only other differences is how it fits around the headlights and such. I dont need to explain that because you can clearly see it in the images posted above.

The rear bumpers are identical between the 88-89 syle and the 90-91 style. The only difference was that on the 90-91 style they offered optional reflectors that went on the side of the rear bumper and that was it. It was only offered directly from Mugen and doesnt appear in their catelogues since it was added at a later date after they were printed. There is a write up about this and other little known CRX FAQs, but I cant find it at the moment. Search for it and you will be able to see other examples of what Im posting below.

Below is a picture that should explain everything about the authentic Mugen Pro Kit II rear bumper. It shows the 88-89 bumper, the 90-91 bumper, the optional reflectors, the inside and mounting brackets of the bumper from Mugen and also shows Wings West RS or other fake equivalents. You will be able to see the difference obviously when they are put side to side like below. Just compare the bumpers and see.

The doorcaps are the easiest to tell if they are authentic or not. The Wings West RS kit and other fakes are not as long, dont have nice sharp edges and there is a gap between the fender and the door which is very promenant. Unlike on the Mugen Pro Kit II kit which there is only a miniscule gap.

If anyone would like further details regarding the wing or side skirts Ill be more than happy to oblige. I just hate seeing people passing something off for what it is not. It makes people like myself who have the authentic parts pissed off because we know what we have and are tired of people thinking its fake due to misinformation.

CRX Forum

P.S. expletive off Lahey. Always looking at stupid sexy Julian LOL.

Hello folks
Would be possible to re upload the photos from here , ive bought a genuine Mugen kit apart from front bumper , and i want to be able to prove it when the haters start hating !!
Cheers BRIAN
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check my backup drive for my mugen pro 2 pics. In the mean time you can upload your so the folks here can chime in on its authenticity.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi enabi
thanks for the help , these are the only photos i have access to at the moment , the front bumper in these photos i think is a ww , but i traded it for a direct copy from an original Mugen one ,a wrap around indicators type made years back by a CRX-UK member Billb , these replicas are well known and sought after in the UK and here in Ireland for there quality ,my car is in the body shop till this weekend , ill get some more photos of everything then .
Mugen Kit - Album on Imgur

in body shop
https://imgur.com/a/JpXn4
Mugen Update 3 - Album on Imgur
More Mugen - Album on Imgur
Mugennew - Album on Imgur

Nearly there , you can see the real progress here
mugen - Album on Imgur
Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your build is making me all nostalgic. I never got a chance to complete my CRX. Full Mugen Pro 2, with soft wing, glass top, Mugen breaks, suspension. Had it all for almost 10 years. Car rotted waiting for its turn. After my complete EK9 build was stolen I gave up, sold everything.

Btw, your parts look legit. Everything looks to be in place. I'm still looking for my archive.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have a Mugen spoiler replica by Seibon and the original rear mesh , the car has a decent enough spec , Off the top of my head
B18c-r engine
S80 Gearbox
Ground Control Coilovers , koni yellow shocks , Eibach springs
Bigger discs all round ( originally drums on the back ) from a EP3 Sir Civic
Work Equip 03s alloys
Beautiful two tone brown leather interior !!
Battery in boot
Whale *****
... im sure theres more , cant remember Smile
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its done , and im thrilled to say the least .

img]https://i.imgur.com/Z1lSTLQ.jpg[/img

Name:  mptf4Hr.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  OEXuA1p.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  163.8 KB

Last edited by beecee; 06-20-2016 at 07:41 AM.