Notices

FAQ D series Spark plugs & wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAQ D series Spark plugs & wires

Who else has questions on what spark plugs and wires to buy. I checked the faq sticky looked under ignition nothin there. For all of us shopping for plug wires or plugs for whatever reason and have some questions about all the different part numbers that are out there. All we really care about is which are the best right. I have a obd0 sohc ef sedan I have a small miss fire I’m using Bosch wires and ngk plugs the ones labeled on the underside of the hood the bpcpr6e. My motor is NA 100% stock rebuilt and Mpfi converted. A shop owners told me that I should try using even better plugs that the ones I’m using. I’m going to replace wires as well bc I don’t know how old they are or how to check them. Maybe that can be added to faq I would think how to check plug wires is of more practical use than that huge Mpfi piece they just added lol #killthempfiswap. Some questions I have are ef eg ek plugs and wires the same? Is there a set I can use that will be compatible with a future B swap? Out of all the part numbers ngk has which of them would you believe to be the “best” plugs and wires for the D
Old 12-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FAQ D series Spark plugs & wires

I always try to run NGK wires and plugs. Make sure your cap and rotor and good too. OE recommended part numbers should be perfectly fine for an engine that's close to stock or lightly modified (I/H/E kind of stuff). EK wires and EG Vtec wires are different, EG non vtec wires should be the same part number. I don't believe any of the DOHC wire sets are the same (you might be able to use SOHC wires, but would be ghetto). I run NGK coppers for my "close to stock" engines, if you run high comp I've had the best luck with iridiums, and boosted guys like to run colder plugs - it's been a while since I check on what the current plug preference is for boost - used to be coppers but like 2 steps colder.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol I 110% assure you the misfire is not from plugs/wires if newer lol check compression more than likely in valve adjustment
Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What part number wires are y’all using. The shop said my comp is good and the head is rebuilt. I adjusted valves before the first start up. I don’t hear them ticking. It didn’t do good on a leak down test but he said it probably will be better as is breaks in
Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also $500 says you have 0 proof of "full rebuild" and if post picture of the engine its going to obviously be not rebuilt lol
Honda-Tech Member

Check your timing
Honda-Tech Member

My timing is on the money and my dizzy is brand new
Old 12-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate
also $500 says you have 0 proof of "full rebuild" and if post picture of the engine its going to obviously be not rebuilt lol
who needs the proof lol this guys just jealous lmao
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, valve adjustment, compression, injectors, injector connectors (had them come loose before if you lose the metal clip), old cap and rotor, wiring connections since you have the MPFI swap, bad resistor box. Always start with the stuff that doesn't cost money then work your way back - ha ha. Good troubleshooting will always always save you money. Too many people just start throwing parts at a car without doing the proper troubleshooting.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol cause 90% of you seat sniffers say "fully rebuilt" and that literally means it got a headgasket ersumshit and a few seals replaced.... after reading some of your other threads im finished replying on this one and again , also are you replying to yourself on your own forum about the timing ? lolol
Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol motors "fully rebuilt" but has ancient plugs/wires/cap/rotor ? unlikely ... and again if they are like under 100k miles on them and not grounding out its doubtful the plugs or wires are making it happen, also pull the plugs and see what they look like
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might think about another valve adjustment now that everything has kind of "broke" in. You technically should hear them click a little until the engine warms up. But if it was rebuilt and you have some miles on it, I'd do another adjustment now that everything has been heated and cooled a few times.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate
lol cause 90% of you seat sniffers say "fully rebuilt" and that literally means it got a headgasket ersumshit and a few seals replaced.... after reading some of your other threads im finished replying on this one and again , also are you replying to yourself on your own forum about the timing ? lolol
hate hate hate hate hate lol
Old 12-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to do the valves again. The shop owner told me that the resistor box’s “never” go bad. I’ll probably buy wires before I do a valve job. What part number should I get lol

spark plug wires and plugs is supposed to be the focus of this thread not my miss fire. Thanks tho everyone trying with that lol
Old 12-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol im not hating im just being 110% realistic asf and like I said until you have some kind of proof its going to not be leaning in your favor... and its not like many people are "full rebuilding" dohc d15/d16 non vtecs they are literally a dime a dozen even with low miles and far cheaper than a actual full rebuild.... also resistor boxes DO go bad and it changes the impedance of the box which affects the injectors... easiest thing to eliminate that problem is eliminate the resistor box and just change to obd1 injectors and plugs and then the box isnt needed
Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol proof needed here sorry I ain’t gonna play captain save a hoe
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NGK Spark plug part number should be 5632
NGK Wires should be 9988
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The 5632 is also known as BCPR6E-11, you might need that at some parts shops. I've used quite a few of them over the years. Your shop is just trying to make more money off you, I hope this isn't the same one that rebuilt your engine. Plug wires can be checked for resistance with a multimeter, Google can tell you all about it.

Recheck your distributor. From where did you source it? Not all are equal.

Did your calibrate your TPS when doing the MPFI swap? This probably wouldn't cause a misfire, but if that's off then it sure would exacerbate one. Google can tell you all about that too.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stampern22
NGK Spark plug part number should be 5632
NGK Wires should be 9988
for an obd0 Mpfi sohc motor. I’m going to go with those thanks. I’ve been seeing those numbers a lot in my searches. That helps me! but what about the next guy who’s going to ask about OBD1 and 2. What wires and plugs would y’all use for those motors. Considering too climate temperatures. I live in California but what about the fans back east. i hope y’all chime in with some OBD1 and 2 info even though I don’t need it but someone else might. For example I didn’t even know that some plugs for d series may be different lengths so maybe the wire won’t reach don’t onto it properly. I this thread alone I leaned there’s is VTEC and non VTEC plugs.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There are VTEC and non VTEC plugs? That's not entirely accurate, not sure where you saw that. If you swap an engine, you use the plugs for that engine. There's never been an FAQ for this because people probably just go to https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part-finder
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member