Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Erratic Charge Warning Light Behavior (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/erratic-charge-warning-light-behavior-3330050/)

sumdewd 11-06-2018 01:25 PM

Erratic Charge Warning Light Behavior

Edit: Erratic CHARGING behavior. I got ahead of myself until I remembered the damn thing wasn't charging while the light was on. The light is a secondary symptom.

Let me start this by saying I know I will likely need to replace my goddamn alternator again (Autozone rebuild), but has anyone else experienced this? My charge warning light stays on for the first cold (65-75f ambient) start of the day until I turn the A/C switch or blower fan off. I've tried swiping through blower 1-4 real quick, but the light won't go off til the A/C is turned off, OR the blower motor goes off entirely. I'll try to get a video tomorrow morning if it does it. The car also does not charge when this condition occurs, leading me to believe the alternator's voltage regulator is bad. It is only 3 weeks old as of tomorrow. It will also start charging the SECOND I turn the A/C off when the light goes out. I can even turn the A/C right back on and it'll continue to charge with the warning light off.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...a995095671.png

I understand the charge warning light gets its ground from the voltage regulator if voltage is too high or low, but the car literally will not charge if you start it with the blower in 1-4, AND the A/C switch is on. Looking at the diagram, I could have a short to ground in the highlighted area, or I could have a failing voltage regulator or other alternator piece. Any suggestions? I just cleaned every single ground on the car and replaced the tranny ground with a 4 gauge wire direct to the frame. The battery is grounded direct to the frame as well, so that tranny wire is essentially 2 pieces now. The charge warning light also consistently comes on with the ignition prior to starting, which didn't happen when the other alternator failed.

sumdewd 11-07-2018 01:42 PM

Re: Erratic Charge Warning Light Behavior

Well, there's the video I talked about. Super awkward

muellersfan 11-07-2018 02:01 PM

Can I assume that you have tightened the alternator mount bolts and the belt?

Replacing an AutoZone alternator costs $0. Do it, and then go from there.

sumdewd 11-07-2018 02:15 PM

Yeah, they got tightened. I even cleaned the mounting surfaces of both the bracket and the alternator.

I'll be doing a timing kit and some oil seals sometime over the winter, so I'll probably pull it then to swap out. Too lazy to do it since it's just an annoyance right now. This is my 4th Autozone alternator in 8 years. I made them test it on their machine before I left, but I've had bad ones test good before.

muellersfan 11-07-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sumdewd (Post 51775578)
This is my 4th Autozone alternator in 8 years. I made them test it on their machine before I left, but I've had bad ones test good before.

Even if the alternator proves to be fine, it's just more productive to do diagnostic tests with a known good alternator installed. I always just demand a new alternator from AutoZone regardless of their test results. My typical phrase is: "Honor your warranty by giving me a replacement alternator because I refuse to reinstall this old broken alternator in my car."

arries289 11-07-2018 10:08 PM

Autozone/Advance/ Etc alternators are complete junk. Get a much better 170A unit from Alterstart on eBay. You will pay more, but the quality is much better. The problem with the unit you have is a cheap voltage regulator. If you take your alternator back to Autozone, they will credit it back to you (so you will just be out your time and effort). I went through 3 alternators in less than 1000 miles before I learned this lesson.

muellersfan 11-08-2018 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by arries289 (Post 51775877)
Get a much better 170A unit from Alterstart on eBay. You will pay more, but the quality is much better.

A lifetime warranty at local auto parts stores is hard to beat.

sumdewd 11-08-2018 11:12 AM

I'm definitely outside of the refund period since I purchased it in 2009. I'm averaging a free alternator every two years, with a total of 80-90k miles. If I wasn't going to buy a new hatch next year and swap this to a B20 I would upgrade. It's also pretty handy being able to swap it on the same day, since this is my daily driver.

Ironically haven't had any issues with the Autozone alternators I've put on a G25 and our 2002 Civic. Luck of the draw, I guess.

muellersfan 11-08-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sumdewd (Post 51776412)
I'm definitely outside of the refund period since I purchased it in 2009.

Nope. Lifetime warranty.

sumdewd 11-08-2018 12:08 PM

Warranty, but not a store refund. I don't even have the receipt anymore. They just look it up by name and swap it out now.

muellersfan 11-08-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by sumdewd (Post 51776456)
Warranty, but not a store refund. I don't even have the receipt anymore. They just look it up by name and swap it out now.

Yup

sumdewd 03-12-2019 05:25 PM

Would like to update this thread since it was a super obscure and random issue. While doing my timing belt, I found my bottom alternator mounting bolt almost fully backed out. I assume I never fully tightened it down for some reason. The nut was gone, but the mounting bolt was still halfway in somehow. I have not had issues with this charge light in months since I've properly mounted the alternator.

Import Tuna 03-20-2019 10:03 AM

Someone's going to shoot at me for saying this but STAY AWAY FROM VATO ZONE ROTATING ELECTRICAL!!!

At over 40 years old I'm probably ranking old timer amongst a lot of you guys and I was toying with ED Civics and RX'S before the first TFAF came out. I've held a number of jobs from Garage manager to Service writer to parts sales and store management. I also have a savant-like ability to notice patterns of repetition. This is not my first sermon on this subject. I don't hate VATO ZONE. I hate their starters and alternators. Garbage on the shelf. Pay a little extra and get an O'Reilly or Advance part for cryin' out loud. Heck, buy the 1 year warranty version. It's STILL BETTER than Vato Zone's junk.

I present this information without warranty or guarantee. I also know that there are some of you guys who like to be tied up and beaten and love the feeling of wasting time and effort while being humiliated. Not talking to those guys. Personally, I just want to do the job once. Stay out of the orange store.

stin1 03-20-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Import Tuna (Post 51892273)
Someone's going to shoot at me for saying this but STAY AWAY FROM VATO ZONE ROTATING ELECTRICAL!!!

At over 40 years old I'm probably ranking old timer amongst a lot of you guys and I was toying with ED Civics and RX'S before the first TFAF came out. I've held a number of jobs from Garage manager to Service writer to parts sales and store management. I also have a savant-like ability to notice patterns of repetition. This is not my first sermon on this subject. I don't hate VATO ZONE. I hate their starters and alternators. Garbage on the shelf. Pay a little extra and get an O'Reilly or Advance part for cryin' out loud. Heck, buy the 1 year warranty version. It's STILL BETTER than Vato Zone's junk.

I present this information without warranty or guarantee. I also know that there are some of you guys who like to be tied up and beaten and love the feeling of wasting time and effort while being humiliated. Not talking to those guys. Personally, I just want to do the job once. Stay out of the orange store.

I had the lifetime warranty on a set of axles purchased in the late 90s . Warranty was great until about 2010 . At that point I tried to have them replaced. They only had one reman axle left and the other side they had to exchange for a New Chinese axle. About 100 miles later the axle separated and left me stranded. I still have the axles with warranty but I won't use them. Don't want to be left stranded again

Import Tuna 03-20-2019 11:20 AM

Stin1 I sent you a DM/PM etc. It's off topic so I went direct.

sumdewd 03-20-2019 02:54 PM

Ironically, now that it's warming up the issue came back entirely as previously described. I'll update this thread if I ever get around to swapping it back out.

Import Tuna 03-20-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by sumdewd (Post 51892488)
if I ever get around to swapping it back out.

please PLEASE use an Ultima brand Alternator. You'll be glad you did. Also, look up how to test your ELD (electric load detector) and double check your wire is tight at the alternator post. Check the grounds. Check the battery posts. You shouldn't be able to twist/wiggle them off at all. Below is a picture of a typical EF/ED ELD. My finger is pointing to it.

Grounds. Should be from the battery to the block and to the body of the car. Several places. Alternator post, 10mm nut. Dont strip it out!battery cable clamps.. Connections connections connections!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...ada5c0cef0.jpg
This is your ELD. Its made into the underhood fuse box.

arries289 03-22-2019 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Import Tuna (Post 51892273)

That is what I was telling them in an above post. I'm over 50, lol! I have had issues with Autozone and Advance. I was told that all the box stores use the same general quality of rebuilders. Unless you like exchanging alternators, stay away from the box stores. Also, OP, get a cig adapter that monitors voltage. You will be able to keep an eye on it.