Notices

Engine won't start! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't start! Help!!!

I was driving home from the gym last night and my engine crapped out. I was going like 70 mph and all of a sudden I lost all power. I gave it gas and NOTHING!

Initially I was having some idle problems when the engine was warm. It fluctuated between 300-1000rpms. I didn't do anything to try and fix it. It only did it when I was at a stop, so whenever I came to a stop light I just kept my foot on the gas to keep the idle up and I didn't have any problems with it for like two weeks. Then just last night on the freeway it crapped out. I tried starting it and it fires and all but just won't start. The gas pump is still good. I can hear the whine when I turn the key into the on position. So it can't be that.

So do any of you think that my EACV or IACV (whatever you call it that controls the idle air) finally completely failed? Could having that part completely fail not get my car to start because it's not getting enough air into the engine?

If any of you have any suggestions it would be wonderful. Please any of you!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine won't start! Help!!! (Nu_At_It_CRX)

its gotta be something else because when you say you push on the pedal and start it and nothin happens then its getting air but check spark and fuel.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM

If it is getting spark and you know there is fuel in the tank. Then it could be a couple of things.

What is happening when you try to start it? Is it at least sputtering or something?

fs
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Engine won't start! Help!!! (filthy_shovel)

same thing happened to me yeasterday it was my distributer cap and my rotor and now it seems to run fine try to check those 2 things
Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine won't start! Help!!! (crx90rcr)

pm'd you. if you need any other help just pm me.....
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine won't start! Help!!! (tigerfreak_99)

Just go for the basics.

Does it get -SPARK- and -FUEL-. Those are the basic things to get engine running.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Engine won't start! Help!!! (filthy_shovel)

no sputter. just firing that's all.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:23 AM

what happened to your distributor and your rotor. did something come loose?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:28 PM

the contact points were coroded and the rotor seemed like there wasnt as much metel sticking out as the one i had in the garage so i threw on that one now it works
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. I opened up my distribuitor cap tonight and the rotor attached to the shaft was completely unscrewed, when I opened the cap the screw holding on the rotor practically fell out. After I put it back on it started right up with no problem. But when I went to drive it, the same thing happend to me again like it did last night. Going fine for a couple of minutes then the engine shuts off for no apparent reason. I tried to start it again right after and all it did was fire and that was it. It wouldnt start at all. I was pretty pissed about this because I had to push the damn thing all the way home. When I got it home I figured it wouldnt hurt to try to start it again. And it started right up again. I have no idea of what it could be. Any suggestions?

Oh and btw I just purchased a new EACV from ebay it's off of a 1990 civic dx. Think it'll fit a 1988 CRX? It looks a little different. The hoses going into it is slightly turned differently.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM

hey check the metal contact part on ur ditributer rotor and the contact points on ur cap clean them if there caroded and if the rotors metal seems thin then get a new rotor i had an extra one leying arond and thats what it was today was the first day in like a week i had that great feeling u get after u kill a 2.0 jetta by like 5 cars just for the fun of it
Old 04-01-2005, 02:48 PM

Ha ha ha 2.0 Jetta? That's funny! I got that feeling last night too, finally!!! I checked the distributor cap and rotor. The rotor seemed ok but the contact points on the distributor was pretty messed up. I'm suprised I was able to drive it for this long. The person that I got this car from just threw it all together at the last minute because he had to get rid of it ASAP. I should still do a thorough check of the whole car when I get some time. What I mean by I'm suprised that it went this long is that when I took apart the distributor cap the a screw fell out. The "SCREW" that was suppose to holding the rotor to the shaft. You can say that I pretty much got "SCREWED." LOL... I didn't know that it was undone so when I went to start it, I guess the shaft was just spinning and the rotor wasn't. And the at one point it sounded really bad which I assumed that the rotor was just bouncing around inside of the cap. So I replaced both and it's running fine for now. Amazing how that one little part affects whether it goes or not. But thanks for all your help!!!