Notices

engine harness and interior harness: crx and ef hatch interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 engine harness and interior harness: crx and ef hatch interchangeable?

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knows if the crx and civic hatch use the same harness.

i'm trying to replace the engine harness and the interior harness (on firewall) on my 90 hatchback.

i know that dpfi and mpfi are not interchangeable, but i need to know if the crx harness will work on the ef hatch

thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: engine harness and interior harness: crx and ef hatch interchangeable?

im trying to do the same thing i need a new one all my **** is ****ed were are u gettin it from
Old 01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine harness and interior harness: crx and ef hatch interchangeable?

Yes it will. I had a CRX si harness in my 4 door DX. The rear harnesses are all the same in every model desides the door sensors in the 4 doors
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i need to find the answer to my question so i know where to get it from.

if i can use the crx one then i found a few people parting out their cars.
haven't found someone parting out a hatch yet.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i'm not sure what you mean by the rear harness
i am looking for the underdash harness the one one the firewall
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are three harnesses in the car engine, main, and rear. Your main harness thats under the dash and runs to the front lights is interchangeable. This is how they go.
CRX si,hf Civic SI,EX all work together. CRX dx, civic DX,LX work together. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool that is what i thought, but i found some people saying different.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope ur good. Ive done it.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a problem with the crx using an electric climate control and the hatch using mechanical climate control?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vegas hoe
is there a problem with the crx using an electric climate control and the hatch using mechanical climate control?
That I'm not sure about, sorry.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that IS the difference; i wanted to put a hb main harness into my crx but they weren't the same; and also the two connectors between the main and the rear harness were not the same;
Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Catch
that IS the difference; i wanted to put a hb main harness into my crx but they weren't the same; and also the two connectors between the main and the rear harness were not the same;
awesome, thanks for the confirmation.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in crx 88 harness is different from 89 harness and 90-91 harness are the same for same trim. you cant just swap out a one piece they all tie in differently. i have ran into this numerous times. save your self the trouble get one from your car. dpfi engine harness are different as well for all years.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

insted of making a new thread ill just piggy back off this one... i picked up an unmolested 91 teg engine/main harness... i know i will have to do mpfi and blah blah blah... idc about that, im swapping motor out anyways... my question is, i heard that a DA interior (dash area) will work/fit in my ED. Now, is this true? because i know i have to use a DA gauge cluster inorder for the main harness to work.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never swap in a harness ever. just modify what you have. its alot easier in the long run.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im trying to swap a dpfi into my 90 crx and the engine harness dont match thto themain harness. and diagrams on how to swap or sumthing?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plz tell me ur not really INSTALLING a DPFI engine?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AndThenYouSay
maybe its his DD and wants better gas mileage
...and he did say he wants to go dpfi
just cause you cant go mpfi doesnt mean dpfi is all that bad
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Catch
this is true. had the same issue. what a pain after putting it in and realizing the plug to the rear lights and etc was different.

for the DPFI conversion, don't do it . its not worth your gas saving methods. your better off with mpfi system. just get an HF tranny for the freeway cruise. they got the longest D-series gears even longer than t b-series LS tranny and thats one of the reasons the Crx HF had the best gas mileage.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by freon480crx90
i never swap in a harness ever. just modify what you have. its alot easier in the long run.
well in my situation it might not be worth trying to save the harness that is in my hatch.
the previous owner hacked the **** out of it. looks like it had a few car alarms on it, cut plugs off and re attached them with butt connectors. none of the alarm wires were soldered on. he used the quick clip splice things.

i'm having a really strange stalling problem. it's very intermittent so i can't trace the problem. i'm 100% sure it's an issue with wires. so when i do my engine swap i'm going to replace the engine harness and interior harness.

something, somewhere, is making the engine stall out. much easier to just replace stuff that looks like ****.
i've tested everything, there is nothing wrong with the car. just dies sometimes.

when it dies it feels like a car that has a dead/dying alternator. alternator is fine.
i'm over the electrical gremlin so i'm swapping everything out.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to change the harness you have to change the whole harness from front to back all 3 pieces. i know for a fact that all 3 pieces are NOT interchangeable on a crx they have wires going in on different sides. you can only change all 3 together. and you have to stay in same year. cluster plugs on 90-91 are different thatn 89 and 88 even the tail light harnesses are different. me personally having tried the harness swap before i will never do it again and im a 10 year tech. if it were my car id go over and re solder all the connections maybe use a nother harness for the plugs n stuff but not switch it complete unless you are %100 percent sure it came out of your year and trim level and same country. ie not a canadian n ur is japan.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use a crx/sedan main harness and engine harness from the same model as your hatchback it will work.

If you want to use a dpfi harness then you will need all four harnesses.

-main
-dash
-engine
-rear harness

The crx rear harness will be too short for your hatch, so you'll have to use one for a hatch. Sedan harness will work too, but will too long unless you can live with that.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AndThenYouSay
yea i am swapping in a dpfi. i jus lost my job and trying to keep my saving account with money my buddy sold me a complete swap for 120 n i figured they got great mpg. this is only demp till i get a job n can get a b18
Originally Posted by JDMefHATCH7
maybe its his DD and wants better gas mileage
...and he did say he wants to go dpfi
just cause you cant go mpfi doesnt mean dpfi is all that bad
thanks for lookin out
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so does anyone have segestions???? on the dpfi wire up harness
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by babiboidb1
yea i am swapping in a dpfi. i jus lost my job and trying to keep my saving account with money my buddy sold me a complete swap for 120 n i figured they got great mpg. this is only demp till i get a job n can get a b18

thanks for lookin out
haha n00bs...

and as far as the harness i recently took out the whole chassis harness off my 1991 crx HF parts car cause i needed some wired for my ZC swap on my original dpfi 1990 ef DX and bro that **** was pretty scary...
considering the fact that both cars werent so different from each other(both 1990) and harness cable lengths arent so different (crx and ef) i did notice some differences as far as wires and connectors...wiring is a bxtch bro specially trying to swap the chassis harness(the engine one in my opinion is easier to make changes on and modify) as the chassis harness is harder since it needs to be the EXACT harness for that specific chassis..its a critical situation and if something goes wrong youll have all sorts of problems the bottom line is
BEST THING YOU CAN DO is work with what you have like people have said
KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL harnesses(engine and SPECIALLY CHASSIS HARNESS!!!!!!)
if wires need to be added or extra connections.. work on your stock wiring
because if you change harnesses(different chassis models and/or trims) you will most probably need to change your whole bumper to bumper harnesses to match your new wiring harness that was changed...or they will not work properly
KEEP in mind that just in case you decide to change the entire wiring in your chassis it will require to remove your dash and carpet which means seats and several interior trim panels from the front turn signal connectors to the back up light in the trunk AND maybe having to deal with different harness looming lengths and/or different or EXTRA connectors you chassis might have or be missing

if for one reason or another you original harnesses(or at least the ones that came with the car are either too fxked up or corroded or arent the original ones for that vehicle)
your best bet trying to find the one that ORIGINALLY belongs in your car
is to OBVIOUSLY LOOK FOR THE SAME YEAR SAME MARKET SAME TRIM DONOR/PARTS CAR
example you own a 1990 crx Si..
obviously look for another 1990 crx Si and take harnesses from that one
DO NOT use for example
1989 crx Si wiring
1990 civic hb wiring
88-91 sedan wiring as they will have differences...
heres some pics so you can know what your getting into if you decide to fxck with you chassis original wiring

**YUMMY WIRING
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: engine harness and interior harness: crx and ef hatch interchangeable?