Notices

EF B20 Vtec Refresh and Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF B20 Vtec Refresh and Upgrade

Hey All,

So starting to put some ideas together for my new street/track toy. Mainly looking for handling not so much straight line speed but want to make sure the engine stays healthy and reliable.

You will see in my signature the current bolts etc the car is running and from the picture below you can see what I have to work with.

Stage 1 Plan: Get rid of the junk
The car has some chipped ECU that I want to replace ASAP and get a Hondata and retune. Before hitting the dyno as you can see from the picture, the radiator is a piece of **** and the headers are beat to hell on the bottom.

Plan to buy:
Radiator replaced with half sized skunk2 88-91 Civic/Crx
New hoses, not sure what to get yet any help appreciated (what fits exactly, b16, b18, b20,)?
Fan: Most likely something like a blox 10"
Coolant Reservoir overflow (no idea what to get yet?)
1320 Toda style header (worried about clearance?)
K-Tuned Muffler
Custom 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust
Innovative Traction Bar (Probably not a necessity but rather than cutting cross member to fit headers, think I prefer this way)
Hondata s300 and new tune (currently has some chipped ECU and have no idea what tune it is running currently)
Walbro 255 and new filter

Already done/on the way:
NGK V-Power Spark Plug (BKR6E)
NGK Plug Wires (HE 64)
Clutch Cable
HPS SRI Short Ram Air Intake + K&N Filter
K&N Oil Filter
Royal Purple 5W-30

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EF B20 Vtec Refresh and Upgrade

thanks 4 the help
Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude....what exactly are you asking of the community?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just after some advice. Some people here have problem used some of these parts and have an opinion if it is worth the money or they prefer something else etc.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoses: Hoses for B16, you'll more than likely have to trim them slightly to fit.
Overflow Tank: Get an OEM Honda
Header: The Toda rep fits great, tucks up nicely, and makes great power. I made 226whp/150wtq with one.
Traction Bar: Get the Innovative. Well worth the investment for the clearance. Solid piece.
Hondata S300: I've had mine since the first Gen came out, so years and years. Also a solid ECU mod.

Convert to Hydro: Get the Hush Performance kit.

oh, I'd also get larger injectors. 440's.

Other than that, looks like a pretty solid list of parts. Should be lots of fun.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the HPS Short Ram just came in and I put the NGK spark plugs and wires in last week. New pic below. Nice bit of bling but really can't wait to get these headlights with air duct when they finally make them for the USDM models.

Next is Radiator hoses, header and traction bar. And Wheels

Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where do you get those bad boys?! lol
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MikeD21
Where do you get those bad boys?! lol
Are you referring to the headlight/air duct?

Pretty sure it's just a few guys 3D printing these. Can't remember exactly where somewhere in UK. They only make them for JDM spec currently but have seen USDM is coming soon.

https://www.facebook.com/momoevolDesign/
https://www.instagram.com/momo_evoldesign/?hl=en

Last edited by LuckyStrike90; 02-16-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fix shit
Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"So starting to put some ideas together for my new street/track toy."
"Radiator replaced with half sized skunk2 88-91 Civic/Crx"
Do not go with a half sized radiator if your planning on using it on the track.

I don't agree with converting to a hydro trans. If it's not an LS trans and there are no problems with what you got, don't mess with it (hydro's are actually slightly heavier than cable). Well except for changing the fluid. Speaking of changing fluid, upgrade your brake fluid. Dot 3 will not handle a day at the track

Check your rear trailing arm bushings. If they're toast get them replaced before you head to the track. It will make your rear suspension much more stable and predictable.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creator
"So starting to put some ideas together for my new street/track toy."
"Radiator replaced with half sized skunk2 88-91 Civic/Crx"
Do not go with a half sized radiator if your planning on using it on the track.

I don't agree with converting to a hydro trans. If it's not an LS trans and there are no problems with what you got, don't mess with it (hydro's are actually slightly heavier than cable). Well except for changing the fluid. Speaking of changing fluid, upgrade your brake fluid. Dot 3 will not handle a day at the track

Check your rear trailing arm bushings. If they're toast get them replaced before you head to the track. It will make your rear suspension much more stable and predictable.
I would prefer full size rad myself, just not sure what header fit? My stock header is f'd already and would prefer something a little larger than OEM anyway.

Thanks for the tip on the trailing arm bushings. I haven't got to suspension yet but will keep it in mind.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Supposedly the PLM Toda rep has good clearance. I know for a fact that the skunk2 alpha v2 has good clearance as well. Skunk2 has a full size radiator but i'm not sure how the header fitment is with it.
I've used vrs exhaust for mandrel bent piping kits and kteller has the same stuff.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would prefer a full size but if header clearance is going to be an issue, I really don't think a dual core half sized will be bad on the track?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin Cam
Supposedly the PLM Toda rep has good clearance. I know for a fact that the skunk2 alpha v2 has good clearance as well. Skunk2 has a full size radiator but i'm not sure how the header fitment is with it.
I've used vrs exhaust for mandrel bent piping kits and kteller has the same stuff.
This guy knows he owns one of the cleanest EFs and quick too.

Originally Posted by LuckyStrike90
I would prefer a full size but if header clearance is going to be an issue, I really don't think a dual core half sized will be bad on the track?
I have a half size skunk 2 radiator with skunk 2 hoses and mishimoto fan shroud. I had to trim the hoses a little to fit but I love the setup and its clean installed on my ek sedan with jdm b18c. The only thing is my fan takes forever to kick on but its quiet when it does.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Touching My Member

PLM Toda Rep and Full size Dual core radiator will clear.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly don't think you'll have much of a problem w/ clearence. The fan that would be in the way is for the A/C, hope your not on planning on keeping that. I did have to trim a tiny bit off of the shroud on the regular fan. Outside of that I've never had a problem with all of the headers I have run, Strup, ebay, DC sports, and skunk2 alpha. I say run a full size for insurance reasons. I honestly snuck by with a single row full size for a long time, until I put a turndown on the exhaust. Trust me, it's extra insurance. You might not need it now, but as you get faster and try to squeak every last bit of horsepower out of your setup you will.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, so owned the car for 6 months now, **** time flys. The first 6 Months have all been about Maintenance and Drive-ability.

Completed So Far
New Clutch Cable
New Type R Accelerator Cable & Bracket
New Alternator
New Gauge Cluster Euro VTI
New NGK Spark Plugs and Wires
New Oil and filter
New HPS Short Ram Intake
New Battery
Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge now work, speedo now works
Degrease engine bay needs more
Rebuilt Starter
Cable VSS
Removed, cleaned up, soldered a **** load of wiring
New Sensor connectors
Locking Hood Pins

Not Yet Installed
AEM Wideband X Series (waiting for new header)
Project Mu Lug Nuts (waiting on wheels)
MOMO Evolve Design Headlight Air Duct (shipping)
Steering wheel (shipping)
Quick release and hub (waiting on steering wheel)

Next Purchases - I think
Honda MTF
94 - 01 Axles (My CV boots are both ripped and would just prefer to replace whole axle with new)
Wheels - Rota Slips Gunmetal 15x7 +40
Skunk2 header & Custom Exhaust
New skunk2 intake gasket
Hondata

Delays in parts and wiring issues have mostly set me back and because this being my first so called "build", I have had to get new tools as well which are not always cheap. I must say though the car overall feels a lot better inputs wise. When I first got the car the clutch cable was so stretched it felt like it was a twin puck clutch. After replacing the clutch cable feels slightly stiffer than stock, which I like. Some recent pics, it may not look like much has changed but certainly the reliability and drive-ability has increased a lot.

Before

And After

Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was so sick of seeing my shitty steering wheel but not sure what other one to get. Thought I would test a few shitty Chinese ones in the meantime just to clean up the inside a bit.

This one looked much better on the ebay pics and was really cheap, it took like 4 months to get here and I really don't like it. Too small and too ugly. Also these dish type wheels bring the wheel much closer to you and I think too close.

Next time will stick to a non dish style.

Anyway I wanted to try a few different styles too see what I liked so even though $70 NOT well spent, at least I know what I DON"T like now.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so been a while but had some fuel system issues.

Replaced my fuel pump with a Walbro 255 but it was faulty and after car warmed up the fuel pump would stop working randomly. Didn't realize at the time but this was prob a fake Walbro. Such a shame is hard to work out which is real and which is fake so will prob upgrade to a Deatschwerks at a later stage.
My actual problem was clogged injectors so after backyarding a injector cleaning rig, I went back to my old fuel pump and everything is all good again.

Since the car is back to being reliable again decided it was time to install the headers.

Is open header at the moment but have a Muffler ready to go on and have organized a local shop to fill in the gaps with 2.5 inch. (Hopefully this week)

I also managed to get my Air Duct/Light installed, doesn't really fit the style of the car atm but I haven't really touched any body/aesthetics yet.

And also finally dropped the hammer on some new wheels, tire's hopefully arrive this week.

Sltipstream 15x7 +40
Tires coming are BF Goodridge Sport Comp 2s 195/55/r15

Old 07-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Track Advocate

The different headlights look off. I made a 3" CAI from 2 ebay short ram intakes that worked very well. I also was using the Toda rep header than made good power as well and fit nice and snug. When I was turbo I was able to use a DA Integra dual core radiator with 2 fans on the track and never had any overheating issues

Also, some things I feel like I greatly benefited from:
Circuit Hero shift extender - didn't think I'd like it but it made changing gears so much better, and the shift know just felt like it wa in a better position

Tunerview - A pretty cheap investment where I could tie in a bunch of sensors to the display I mounted to my center vent. Datalogging and had a bluetooth feature where I could mount my phone and use that as a display. Well worth the $160.

I didn't have a wideband at that time so the afr is off. Never got around to installing an inline temp sensor for accurate iat's.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with you on the headlights. I think when I get to body work I will add more black with a lip, carbon hood and wing and hope that ties everything in with the lights. At the moment just stock with the light/air duct looks kinda goofy.

he carbon hoods are around $800 so won't be getting one of those anytime soon so for the moment function over form.

I also want to go hondata v3 soon with bluetooth and put some kind of IPAD or tablet that can be gauges, tunes, gps etc.

Will take a look at the shift extender, i really don't mind the shift feel in mine atm but have also though about getting it a bit higher.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the tires mounted and took for a spin around the mountains.

Sorry for quality of pics my camera is potato.

Unfortunately didn't get time to complete the exhaust so still running just headers atm. Way too loud but will get that sorted in the next few days.