Notices

ef with b18a1 suspension help

Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ef with b18a1 suspension help

i need some help, just bought a 91 civic hb with b18a1 swap. when driving and i hit a dip or bump it sounds like the tire or something is bashing the fender it is very harsh. it has the stock civic struts and springs with DA steering knuckles. what can be done to fix this? with struts and new springs, i notice a majority come with a drop of 1 1/2" or so. if it is bottoming out now, i am thinking it will do it even worse with the lowered spring, unless i have coilovers. kinda on a budget. been looking for hours for answers. cant take it anymore. thanks for your time.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ef with b18a1 suspension help

From what ive read the DA steering knuckles are taller than the stock ef ones so you may not have the same clearances intened between the UCA and the wheel well, i personally woulden't use the DA knuckles but you could try stiffer struts and or springs or put another bump stop on the piston so you limit the travel of the strut even more, its a little screwy but i might work for a cheap fix, btw this is all just me thinking not from personal experience so take it for what it is ideas not gaurenteed solutions
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM

on my buddies crx, he has just the front suspension off a da and has no issues what so ever, he even has sprint springs on it. i know on my da, i changed the uca's and i rub, making this bad popping noise when i am not adjusted for full camber. and i am running the skunk2 ones. my suggestion would be find out where its hitting first, usually its really easy, then modify around it.

as far as my full disc swap on my ef, no issues at all.... but i replaced alot of stuff when i did this
Old 04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its possible the upper control arms the previous owner used were off of a da, ive had this problem with integra knuckles and a camber kit on stock uca's, what i ended up doing was bash the inner fender liner to clear, no more noise.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 91 civic with a Ls swap and the car is lowered on coil overs, and I have a problem with the crank pulley hitting the bar comming off the stock cross member, it could be that
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ballin_tha_ef
I have a 91 civic with a Ls swap and the car is lowered on coil overs, and I have a problem with the crank pulley hitting the bar comming off the stock cross member, it could be that
if thats the problem or just for the guy above check this out

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesv...a/rad/rad.html

also a buddy of mine took his stock crank pulley and put it on a lathe and took off the AC and PS parts of it so it was just the alternator, gave him a lot more clearance and he had no problem having a B16a in a 91 hatch dropped almost to the ground on coilovers
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
New User

thanks for all the input everybody, i took the tires off and looked at everything it looks like the pulley may have hit before couple rust spots and the pulley is a little dinged. also there is a fresh spot above uca on driverside, it is on the front side of the uca, almost right in front of the ball joint. the uca is kinda clean there. that is honestly what it feels like when driving it, it is very harsh makes me cringe sometimes.
the car came with the da knuckles that almost has to be the prob. what is the easiest was to correct stiffer struts and springs? i really appreciate all the input, thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
New User

i am thinkin tokico blues with stock springs, it is just my dd nothin real crazy. just want to do the minimum to stop the uca thwacking fender well. i have read it is kinda bouncy w/ blues/stock springs but i really dont care unless it is real ridiculous. just had surgery not workin so cant go wild money wise. found struts for 220 on ebay. are all blues valved the same or is it the cheaper the softer? thanks for the help.