Notices

The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside!

Old 03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (Jonathan_ED3)

You did this on an OEM 9.5" setup, right? I know the HX crx has even smaller brakes with a special knuckle.

I am wondering if brake balance will be thrown off with the addition of these monster calipers. What brake master cylinder size is recomended for ITR calipers w/o ABS?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (manson)

Nice setup! Nothing like reusing other honda parts!!! Another great option is to buy braded brake lines, and put on some nice pads...youll be amazed at the difference!!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (Superhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Superhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice setup! Nothing like reusing other honda parts!!! Another great option is to buy braded brake lines, and put on some nice pads...youll be amazed at the difference!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah, now just need to find the parts need to put this on my crx
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (GSRCRXsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRCRXsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> only other thing im worried about is how much wieght this will add
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also worried about that, you should weigh that setup old and new (if its not all together yet). But nice instructional btw
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (Jonathan_ED3)

And since the NSX caliper is more or less a bolt on for the ITR, then this should also work for this setup. 2 Piston ITR calipers, and 10.2" rotors should be the **** for an autocross SM EF.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you trying to diss on me? I don't get it.

I've searched high and low...and I've never seen this setup posted.

Please show me exactly where this setup was posted in the past! I want to see it!

It very well may be...I just grabbed the first caliper I came to in my room. But as i'm sure you know, it makes no difference (for the test fitment procedures)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

man im too lazy to search for something i've seen and read. wasn't trying to diss you just bringing you down from the high throne you were sitting on. i thought of this setup, about shaving **** off about 2 months ago before you posted this. i rather just have 15" wheels and ex knuckles. straight bolt on and no modifications. but i rather sit my *** on the futon with a cracked open brew and watch speed reruns and missed races on Tivo and not worry about my puny brakes that work prefectly fine for the time being.

i do like your write up and to be honest i was one of the ghetto thinkers about using washers as my wheel spacer when i thought about this lol
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (Jaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And since the NSX caliper is more or less a bolt on for the ITR, then this should also work for this setup. 2 Piston ITR calipers, and 10.2" rotors should be the **** for an autocross SM EF. </TD></TR></TABLE>

STS2 or SM2 if CRX.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (PaImportTuner)

it would defiantly be SM2 because of the brake changes...i like this setup, i think Jon did a great job on the write up, plus instead of trying to find different knuckles you can use yours...

as far as brake balance is concerned, i wouldnt see it as a problem considering people with the EX/DA/DC knuckles upgrade to ITR/NSX/Legend calipers and 11.1" rotors and see no problems...

for Brake master cylinder im sure the 15/16 from the EX/Prelude/accord lxi would work sufficiently...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (crxgator)

also people wanting to run stock 14's, you can run del sols without any shaving or spacers...the ones that look like the teg fat fives...the 90-91 i heard you have the most trouble with and you need a spacer...

but of course you can run any integra 14 inch rim without any modifications...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (EallmotorF)

Hey, EallmotorF - you said you bought the loaded calipers from NAPA, How much were they a peice?

Great info BTW

Chris
Old 03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (chilpyl)

john i know it doesnt matter for test fitment but it will matter for actual fitment when you want to hook brake lines up and all. let us know what brake lines are necessarry.

and gator, the problem with 14's might not be simply the offset. this is using a bigger caliper then the ex upgrade, and might actually rub the inside of the rim, not just the spokes. that is what im worried about.

and then the MC, isnt the MC for these brakes 1"? ill be upgrading to a 15/16, wondering if it will be a problem...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (GSRCRXsi)

goo ****! you said some legends have these calipers, what years? all of them?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRCRXsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">john i know it doesnt matter for test fitment but it will matter for actual fitment when you want to hook brake lines up and all. let us know what brake lines are necessarry.

and gator, the problem with 14's might not be simply the offset. this is using a bigger caliper then the ex upgrade, and might actually rub the inside of the rim, not just the spokes. that is what im worried about.

and then the MC, isnt the MC for these brakes 1"? ill be upgrading to a 15/16, wondering if it will be a problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

im aware of this, for HX rims, you have to shave the caliper bracket, but for the 90-91 crx rim, i heard you just need a spacer, im not sure how true it is since i didnt bother with mine and just threw on del sol rims...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (crxgator)

yea, but again youre shaving the outside of the caliper bracket to fit the rim. i hope youre not confusing that with the shaving of the bracket on the insde which is necessary to fit the caliper on the rotor correctly. 2 different shavings if your not confusing them then good, but shaving it on the inside will still be necessary.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (PaImportTuner)

i FINALLY found the pic i was looking for. this is what i will be doing

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Greet find!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (LankorDie)

Quick question:

Does every little bit of the ITR pad sit on the 10.2" rotors surface? This sounds like a great mod as long as the pads don't hang off the edge of the rotor or anything...
Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
for Brake master cylinder im sure the 15/16 from the EX/Prelude/accord lxi would work sufficiently... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good work jonathan!

For master cylinder discussion see https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1161720
HTH
chris
Old 03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Jonathan for another brake option!

Modified by cursED at 3:31 PM 3/9/2005
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside!

Dude you F*ckin rock. Awesome setup. I think I just found my next mod
Old 03-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (94eg!)

for good info.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside! (rioninja)

to shave the 2.5-3mm of the bracket, what is the best way to do this???
how have you guys done it???
machine shop??
Old 03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, having a machine shop do it would be the best way (most accurate)

The brake lines fit just fine on my car...shouldn't be a problem there for any of you guys.

The picture posted of the shaved caliper bracket is exactly what needs to be done!

And yes, if you want to use NSX calipers....you *should* be able to. As far as I know, they mount exactly the same as the ITR calipers. A test fitment would be the best way, though.

94eg! ....yes, the entire pad surface area contacts the rotor! And yes, this is on the standard DX/LX/Hatchback/CRX knuckles. Brake balance shouldn't be thrown off....I would just use the 15/16" EX M/C that everybody else is running.

How much weight does it add? Well, the Rotor, Pads, Caliper w/bracket weighs ~21lbs each side. If one of you wants to weigh the stock setup, be my guest. I don't have a stock setup that's free (off of a vehicle) for me to weigh right now.

You've got to remember, though...with increased fade resistance is going to come increased weight. And at the very most, this will be ~1-2lbs heavier than the standard EX/Integra upgrade since this caliper is just a tad bigger than the 17CL14VN caliper.

julio_b0ostamante...the legend calipers you want are from the 92+ Legend. The ~94/95 GS (I believe) have the NSX style calipers...but the others use the 17CL15VN.

PaImportTuner...I was not and am not on any high throne. I'm posting factual data and presenting an alternative to the normal way of upgrading brakes. If you 'beat' me to this setup...more power to you. But did you test it out? Did you verify that it would work? Sounds to me like all you had was a theory; we've all got those.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

so you used stock crx brake lines? only thing i wanna know is if it will clear 14" rims. i guess ill have to find out myself, i think im gonna buy cursED's calipers and bracket and try it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The easiest brake upgrade you NEVER knew about. Details inside!