Notices

dx mpfi swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx mpfi swap issues

I finished my mpfi swap this morning and am having a few issues, I searched but am not finding anything for my problem. The car started fine and runs with some hesitation, which I believe may need adjustment on timing, but I have a CEL but when I look at the ecu, I have no codes being thrown. On top of that, my fan is now running with the ignition on which it wasn’t before. I’m still looking for answers online but I cannot figure how I managed to screw up my radiator fan wiring. Any tips?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: dx mpfi swap issues

well lets start with the basics
first
what kind of ef do you have?
second
is it auto or 4-5 speed?
third
did you mess with the fan wiring?
fourth
do you have a stock engine or something else?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:09 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickabeans
I finished my mpfi swap this morning and am having a few issues, I searched but am not finding anything for my problem. The car started fine and runs with some hesitation, which I believe may need adjustment on timing, but I have a CEL but when I look at the ecu, I have no codes being thrown. On top of that, my fan is now running with the ignition on which it wasn’t before. I’m still looking for answers online but I cannot figure how I managed to screw up my radiator fan wiring. Any tips?

thanks in advance.
As Marcos said, we need more info:
  1. What is the year, trim level, and transmission of the chassis you did the swap on?
  2. Was the chassis wiring harness untouched prior to the swap?
  3. Was the engine wiring harness untouched prior to the swap?
  4. Did you build your own harness or use a purchased conversion harness?
  5. Are you staying OBD0 or did you convert to OBD1, OBD2a, or OBD2b? What ECU are you using?
  6. What engine is in the car now?
  7. What car/engine did the MPFI swap come from?
  8. Which fan is running - radiator or AC?
  9. Do you have another MPFI ECU you can swap in to verify you don't have a bad ECU?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a 90 dx d15b2 hatchback
it appears that the wiring engine and chassis was all intact before I touched it.
i did build my own harness using a few guides that I cross referenced each other to verify I did not miss anything staying obd0
It is the radiator fan running, I have no ac. Nor do I have another ecu to see if it is the ecu giving me issues. Same motor, just the mpfi conversion, I am getting ready for a motor swap down the road.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nickabeans
It is a 90 dx d15b2 hatchback
it appears that the wiring engine and chassis was all intact before I touched it.
i did build my own harness using a few guides that I cross referenced each other to verify I did not miss anything staying obd0
It is the radiator fan running, I have no ac. Nor do I have another ecu to see if it is the ecu giving me issues. Same motor, just the mpfi conversion, I am getting ready for a motor swap down the road.

Thanks
All my DPFI to MPFI knowledge is on a 90 DX Sedan, so keep that in mind. Pin B4 on the PM5 (DPFI) and PM6 (MPFI) OBD0 ECU's goes to the radiator fan switch via a YEL/GRN wire. I'd start looking there for your issue.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I found another ecu to try out, and the fan issue is no longer problem one. it is throwing a code 9 which appears to be cyp sensor. I am using an eBay distributor however I measured the connectors f and g as per the manual and it showed correct ohms saying that it is good. I have double checked that the wiring it self and they are good going to c1 and c2. I’m at a loss again. Maybe I got a second bad ecu. Any other tips or things I may be missing.

thanks again for any help.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Some folks have had luck with the eBay distributors, but I had 2 bad ones in a row. Mine were from Rock Auto and not eBay, but same thing I think. I ended up spending the $ and getting a Duralast Gold for AutoZone with a lifetime warranty, and it has been good so far (4 months).

Did you run shielded wire for the CYP? The CYP signal is susceptible to noise from other electrical sources and could be causing the CEL. This is why the OEM Si harness has the CYP wires shielded. If you do run a paired shielded wire, make sure you only ground one end of the shielding for each unbroken section of shielded wire. I used a 6-pin connector in the engine compartment for my CYP wires, Injector 3 & 4 wires, and reverse lights (since mine was also an auto originally). Because there are two discrete runs with a connector in the center, I had to ground both runs. For the CYP wiring on the chassis harness side of the connector, I tied the shielding into A2 on the ECU. For the CYP wiring on the engine harness side of the connector, I tied into the BLK/RED on the passenger 14-pin connector, which goes to the G101 ground.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help. I replaced the wire with shielded wire, but it turns out the second ecu was bad also. But it has all been sorted and no more cel.

Thanks again
nick
Old 04-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m too lazy to look again at the write ups I used to do my mpfi swap but I remember pretty good that the cyp wires go to a1 and a2 on the si a6 Ecu so that’s what I did and it didnt start and I went chasing ghosts with a multimeter swapping three ecus for a couple months before taking it to a shop and paid $250. They told me the injectors were not grounded. I think the cyp wires to a1 and a2 in old write ups should be corrected.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys need help, I have a 88 ef hatch with a gsr swap and it wont rev high once it reaches 3k rpm to 4k rpm it bogs down....I've had this car for 5yrs it had d16 with a mpfi conversion ran fine then swap a b16a jdm and ran fine then i blow the block so got another block and rebuilded the obd0 b16a and then the problem started when i would give it gas it would bog down and not rev past 3k rpm I have changed the fuel pump, filter, tps was calibrated, iacv, ecu, dizzy, cap, spark plugs n cables....checked compresssion good , injectors good, so then i gave up on the b16a and swapped it out and put in a obd1 gsr engine and coverted to obd1 and have the same issue i check dizzy cables are ok they are connected where they belong i have a cel that is for the 02 sensor.........i dont have cyp sheild ground since the d16 ...... how do i ground it? the only thing i kept was same engine harness.... helpppppp plz and thank you..
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hawk_SI06
Hi guys need help, I have a 88 ef hatch with a gsr swap and it wont rev high once it reaches 3k rpm to 4k rpm it bogs down....I've had this car for 5yrs it had d16 with a mpfi conversion ran fine then swap a b16a jdm and ran fine then i blow the block so got another block and rebuilded the obd0 b16a and then the problem started when i would give it gas it would bog down and not rev past 3k rpm I have changed the fuel pump, filter, tps was calibrated, iacv, ecu, dizzy, cap, spark plugs n cables....checked compresssion good , injectors good, so then i gave up on the b16a and swapped it out and put in a obd1 gsr engine and coverted to obd1 and have the same issue i check dizzy cables are ok they are connected where they belong i have a cel that is for the 02 sensor.........i dont have cyp sheild ground since the d16 ...... how do i ground it? the only thing i kept was same engine harness.... helpppppp plz and thank you..
dude read my build thread Marcos new work car 90 sedan
the answer to your problem is on page 4 and 5