Notices

Rough idle + fuel nozzle shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle + fuel nozzle shut off

Tl;dr: Is there a component of the Evap system that would both a rough idle and continual shut off of the gas pump whike refueling at the gas station?

Yesterday, my 91 civic lx struggled to take fuel at the gas station--the pump would shut off every couple of seconds as if the tank were full, though it was very nearly empty. I chalked it up to a goofy pump and went about my day.

Later, I noticed the car had begun to idle very roughly. In park, in neutral, in drive but stopped: rough, low rpm, idle in all cases.

At the end of the night, I tried to pump some more gas (different pump, different gas station), and the same thing happened as that morning. The pump kept shutting off.

So suspecting this must be a problem with my car, and I do some research. Naturally, this leads me to the Evap canister, and all it's related valves and hoses, and I discover the possible, even likely, link between my refueling issue and my rough idle.

A blockage in the vent hose between the fuel tank and the evap canister will cause the refueling problem.

If the purge valve is stuck open, it will cause the rough idle because it's essentially a vacuum leak.

Or at least these are my understandings.

My question: Is there a component of this system that could cause both problems simultaneously?