Notices

DPFI to MPFI difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPFI to MPFI difficulty?

I've finally gotten to the point where I have finished fixing all leaks on my car, new suspension, belts, pulleys, compressor, etc.. The next step that I want to take is making some more power for my 1990 Honda Civic HB DX. I was planning to go from DPFI, then OBD 1, then swap a D16z6 head onto my d15b1 block and maybe get different cams/pistons on there.

I've read tons of threads and videos on doing the DPFI to MPFI swap and it seems like it'd be more difficult than swapping/resurfacing a head or going to OBD 1. I dont think that I'm too experienced with wiring; I can solder and connect wires + test voltage, but Ive never depinned something or messed around with the ECU/harness, except a radio harness.

How long would this swap take for a beginner like myself? Any hiccups that Ill experience along the way?

Last edited by fminusmic; 06-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: DPFI to MPFI difficulty?

If you are going to go to OBD1, you have to do the DPFI to MPFI swap anyway. I've seen people hack together a MPFI swap with twisted together wires run through the door jambs...not the way I'd recommend doing it, though. I spent a couple of weeks doing research, a few weekday evenings probing and verifying the current status of the wiring in my car, and then a full Saturday to do the swap. If you're looking for a boost in power that you're going to really notice, the MPFI swap isn't it. BUT...my car does run much better after the swap.

So, to answer your questions:

How long do I think it would take for a beginner? Somewhere between 4 hours and 40 hours, depending on how meticulous you are going to be about wiring, your comfort level, and how much preparation / verification you plan to do. Outside of reading manuals, wiring diagrams, and the internet, I probably spent about 20 hours on mine, but I fully unwrapped my engine harness and re-loomed it with all the added wires.

What hiccups? For me, depinning the ECU's "B" connector took a little while to figure out without damaging the pins. I ended up cutting a B plug off an EF in the junkyard and playing with that until I figured it out. You should plan to use shielded wire for the CKP and TDC sensors. Plan to spend more time and $ than you think - all the old writeups make it sound like you can get parts cheap - those writeups were probably done over a decade ago, so parts are harder to find. Plan to replace what is replaceable while you have it apart - hoses, seals, etc. I just did my MPFI swap about a year ago and think I spent about $550.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always buy a pre-made harness. No fuss no muss. Just need to de-pin a few pins at the ecu plugs and that's it. That's what I did. Made things so much easier!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m just finishing mine hopefully today. My honest answer is don’t bother just buy a complete swap
Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to learn how to depin:

Cut off ecu plugs from u-pick autowreckers or a parts car and go for it. Don't learn on pins you need to rely on.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very easy to overthink this conversion.
Just a few things are going on.

The intake manifold gets changed out.
2 more injectors are being added and if you use low impedance injectors you will e adding in an injector resistor box.
The distributor has a sensor to tell the ECU when to fire the 2 new injectors so you do a little wiring to accommodate for this.
The TPS rotates the opposite direction on DPFI and MPFI so those wires get flipped.
The pinout on the ECU is a little different so you need to do a little adjusting here so the wires go to the correct banks.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dax - Yeah I believe you on how all the write ups are a bit old. I have about 3 junkyards around my city, but EFs are rare to find. They'll turn up at the Junkyard maybe once every 3-6 months. Even then, you'd have to get there early in the morning on that day to get parts.

Rallypoint - I would but the cheapest I found on eBay is about $200+. I could understand maybe like a hundred bucks, but idk

89ED - Honestly, if I get stuck, I might just end up buying that premade harness. But, I'll probably give it my best try, nothing has stopped me yet in fixing my car

2point2 - I will keep that in my notes. There's like 2 EFs in my junkyard and I'll take those harnesses.

4drEF - I'm planning to get a D16Z6 intake manifold, D16Z6 fuel injectors that come with it, EF Si distributor, P28 ECU. I read on different guides that if I get OBD0 injectors, I need that resistor box, but if I get OBD1 injectors (from the D16Z6), I don't need the resistor box. Is that right? Same thing for the distributor but with OBD1 ECU, different threads say OBD1 ECU should have a OBD 1 dizzy, but if I get the EF SI dizzy, it's obd0 ECU

Thanks everyone for the replies and comments.

Last edited by fminusmic; 06-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fminusmic
4drEF - I'm planning to get a D16Z6 intake manifold, D16Z6 fuel injectors that come with it, EF Si distributor, P28 ECU. I read on different guides that if I get OBD0 injectors, I need that resistor box, but if I get OBD1 injectors (from the D16Z6), I don't need the resistor box. Is that right? Same thing for the distributor but with OBD1 ECU, different threads say OBD1 ECU should have a OBD 1 dizzy, but if I get the EF SI dizzy, it's obd0 ECU
Correct.
You can use the high impedance injector from the Z6 with NO resistor box. Or you can use the low impedance injector (from EF) WITH the injector resistor box.

Correct again.
ECU and distributor do not mix between OBD0 and OBD1.
(A couple things to keep in mind if you decide to go OBD1 - OBD1 and OBD2 are interchangeable.
Distributors from D16Z6, D15B -SOHC VTEC, and D15Z1 have a unique bolt pattern).

Old 06-30-2018, 03:42 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Yeah I pulled my IM, injectors, TB, and the part of the wiring harness for the injectors from a D16Z6 in the junk yard. For the distributor got to AutoZone and buy the Duralast Gold TD02U/TD18U (it has a lifetime warranty). Buy a PM6 ECU on eBay or the classifieds here (I got 2 for like $10 each just 6 months back).
Old 07-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might spend all that time and money. Then get low compression a few months later. If you don’t have it already and have to do it all over again. I understand engine internals in engines with dual point systems are 30 years old. Fun fact. It should be stickied that anyone interested in chasing down 30 year old computer parts from the junk yard. Would be better presueded to go obd1 and enjoy.

Last edited by 89ED; 07-04-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are alot of great videos on youtube about how to do the conversion i would highly recommend looking op YoungStatic or Garage Built Hondas videos about the mpfi conversion as both of their videos are really detailed
Old 07-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, planning to complete this swap pretty soon. Got a real good deal on a head and complete z6 intake manifold. Only missing the dizzy and the ECU now.