Notices

door alignment/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door alignment/adjustment

my driverside door is fine when its closed. It seals good and doesnt leak or stick out, the problem is when i open the door i can feel it drop like an 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch and when i pull it shut i hear and feel it move up that same distance so latch.

So i opened my door all the way and lift it up from the bottom corner and there is some play in it definatley. (not much, but enough to annoy me)

Is there a way to "lift" my door a smidge?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (turbo sol)

Good question mine is doing the exact same thing. Anoys the crap outta me.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (EFing8)

mine does that sometimes, its pissing me off though because is starting to scrath the paint in the door jambs
Old 01-30-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (iwhichisme)

Grr. mind does this too, doesn't anybody know what to do about this??
Old 01-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (PhatHardy)

ok i'm pretty sure there is 2 screws at the top of the door that you can adjust it by. when taking a door off a crx i noticed this. you take the pin out of the door and it will swing open really wide and you can get in there and adjust it like that.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:32 AM

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (Trinity)

OK Seems like im the only one who has done this thats posted so far...What I did was took bumper and fenders off so I could access the Door Jamb bolts...after the fenders are off..get a jack and jack it up and put wood or 2x4 between jack and door to keep from scratching..use i believe 10mm wrench and door can be adjusted also..you will have to adjust the rear latch on the jambs...I had to use a impact driver to break it loose...but ad just that up down in or out to make it fit flush and not catch when you open or close your door. BTW it helps having another person help you with this job...
Old 01-31-2003, 01:09 AM

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (FullMetalJacket)

dude, could you say that one more time because i didn't understand much of what you were trying to say, LIke did you jack the car up also? umm... how do you know when you adjusted it enough? Why do you have to adjust the latch? and are you talking about the little thing that is attached to the car frame or the little thing inside the door? Thanks for the post
Old 01-31-2003, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i will try to help...

to adjust the door, you need to pull the pin in the door opener like trinity said. once you pull this pin, you can get access to the door hinge bolts pretty easily. be careful opening the door, though, as it will swing wide open and could mess up the fender possibly.

anyway, to adjust the door, loosen the (4) hinge bolts (2 bolts per hinge). once you do that, the door is free to move. using a jackstand and wood, i aligned the door so it was straight. tighten the (4) hinge bolts and you should be all set.

hth.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (breaka_1_9)

i will try that this weekend when i change my upper control arm. thanks breaka _1_9
Old 01-31-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (turbo sol)

Ah, yes thanks break_1_9, really appreciate the clarification can't wait to get my doors straightened out, It was the one of the main things that made me dislike haveing an old car! You just got to love the feel of a door closing perfectly
Old 01-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are probably gonna need hinges soon. I bought all new hinges when my old ones were worn.
Its a huge pain in the *** to mess with the hinges, as I'm sure you'll find out. It helps a lot to take off the fenders and have a friend to help you.
New hinges from honda were $65CDN($40 US) a door from honda.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment (model x)

QUOTE]You guys are probably gonna need hinges soon. I bought all new hinges when my old ones were worn.
Its a huge pain in the *** to mess with the hinges, as I'm sure you'll find out. It helps a lot to take off the fenders and have a friend to help you.
New hinges from honda were $65CDN($40 US) a door from honda.[/QUOTE]

well, crap if our doors are doing this does this mean we need new hinges? Or how do we tell if we need new hinges or not?[
Old 02-01-2003, 10:01 PM

when ur door opens and it droops down it back then yes its the hinges that are worn..but if its not bad then you could get away with just adjusting the the doors..and heres how i dit mine once again...
1.take off the bumper..both fenders

2. Get a jack and 2x4..open the door put..jack up the jack to the door (2x4 between the jack and the door to protect the paint on the doors)

3.Loosen the hinge bolts and jack up the jack or lower it to adjust the height desired

4.Unscrew the 2 phillips screws on the rear hinge thats located on the door jamb adjust it so that the door closes.

i reccomend doin it this way because with taking the fenders off you dont have to worry about the door opening to much and f*^king up your fenders
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: door alignment/adjustment

Did anyone actually do this and notice it worked?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

I tried this with the fenders in place a few months ago. That is pulling the pin and swinging the door wide. There is NO way to get a tool to the necessary bolts.

If you want to adjust the door angle, you will need to...
- remove the bumper
- remove the fender
- open the door slightly and support it with a jack & wood block
- loosen the hinge bolts that connect the hinges to the chassis
- raise the jack slightly to adjust the angle of the door
- tighten the bolts and check the door closure
- adjust door latch if it's still forcing the doors final closure in the wrong direction
- repeat if necessary

I have yet to try this myself, but it's on my list of things to do. Funny thing is I notice my door was sagging like that from the factory. The original pin strips were installed with the door slightly low at the rear.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awsome! my car's wrecked, so there's no bumper and fender needs to come off anyway
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turbo sol
my driverside door is fine when its closed. It seals good and doesnt leak or stick out, the problem is when i open the door i can feel it drop like an 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch and when i pull it shut i hear and feel it move up that same distance so latch.

So i opened my door all the way and lift it up from the bottom corner and there is some play in it definatley. (not much, but enough to annoy me)

Is there a way to "lift" my door a smidge?
Happened to me in winter. Inserted a thin Plastic putty knife in gap between door and fender. VERY GENTLY move door towards closed position. SMALL pressure moves fender a couple mm's. Fixed mine.