Notices

dohc zc hesitating/ rough idle

Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 dohc zc hesitating/ rough idle

hey guys, i have a dohc zc swapped 91 ef hatch.
I got the car with some problems but its slowly getting better.
When i first had the car it idled a little high and hesitated a lot, it would even stall at idle or with the throttle. It would also drain the battery but then when you let it sit and try to turn it on again it would start right up like if it was fully charged. I thought it was bad battery ground and timing because terminals were crap and the distributor was completely turned to one side. I adjusted it but then saw it was still running rough. I did some research and looked at the throttle body and saw it was a ghetto mess with the vacuum lines. (ones that needed to be connected were plugged by a hose with a screw at the end and ones that needed plugs were open) so i put in new vacuum lines after looking up the proper diagram. I also re grounded the battery ground along with new cables and terminals, replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil, cleaned out the throttle body, flushed the coolant and put in new thermostat just to give it a tune up. Especially since i saw the oil was black as f***. But anyways the car since the new vacuum lines has not stalled during idle or with the throttle so thats some progress.

Now my problem is the car idles rough and hesitates with the throttle. When i open the throttle it drops rpms and then picks up so it boggs / hesitates. Then idle will drop low like it wants to stall. I found out that the seal on injector 1 leaks so that might be the problem since i heard leaky seals can cause hesitations and missfires because air is getting in the mix. I just bought a full set of injector seals to replace them all. Im also going to replace the fuel filter (its being really stubborn so might be kinda old and another reason for hesitation happening). Oh and the distributor came with new cap but i havent checked to see if the coil is bad... I'll check once i replace my injector seals. My question is what else should i look for that can be causing my zc to hesitate/ bogg and idle rough? could it be a vacuum line i didnt replace?