Notices

dohc zc distributor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dohc zc distributor wiring

i have looked at all diagrams i can find,

should they colored wires be connected to same color wires on distributor, there are two peach two white a white with stripe connnect all those to the same color or not?

i am getting code 9, it doesnt seem to be running right, the temp gauge and fuel gauge also recently just shut off out of no where

i am able to start it, but i can not really give it any gas
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: dohc zc distributor wiring

Those should help you. There should be 2 peach (one with stripe, one without) and 3 white (one with stripe, two without). The 'fat' white wire goes by itself, off to the side. It is hard to tell that it is any thicker sometimes.

Code 9 is cylinder position censor (iirc). That's usually a wiring error. As for the cluster losing signal, could be a grounding error or something wrong on the back side of the cluster. Check the thermostat ground first, that's usually a culprit.

As for the rest of your running issue, how is the timing? Are the cams set correctly? Fuel filter clean? Injectors all humming? Spark plugs getting spark? Plugs fowled?

Could be anything. You basically just have to fix your known issues, do a tune up, and troubleshoot.

Last edited by Freemananana; 07-07-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it was running perfect before it was pulled i think i messed distributor wires up, ill make sure all colors are matched.

ill try put engine at tdc and start see whats happening, keep ya updated
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

code 9 has nothing to do with the distributor - code 9 is for the CYLinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - it would be extremely rare for the sensor itself to be bad - most likely cause is incorrect exhaust camshaft timing - could also be a wiring problem, i.e. having the two wires switched - if it was running o.k. before and camshaft timing hasn't been altered, it is probably in the wiring
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlicrx
code 9 has nothing to do with the distributor - code 9 is for the CYLinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - it would be extremely rare for the sensor itself to be bad - most likely cause is incorrect exhaust camshaft timing - could also be a wiring problem, i.e. having the two wires switched - if it was running o.k. before and camshaft timing hasn't been altered, it is probably in the wiring
I may have been thinking of CEL 8? TDC? I just had a CEL 8 or 9 on my car and it was the distributor I was trying to run.

Regardless of my error, which I will fix, those diagrams/photos should help.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so to my understanding i match the color wires from distributor to colored wires on harness.? i will try to start it tomarrow and see what she does.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

code 9 has nothing to do with the distributor - code 9 is for the CYLinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - , it is probably in the wiring
can you take and post pictures of how your cylinder sensor is wired, mine seems to be hacked together
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what model was your car originally? DPFI or MPFI?

on cars originally DPFI, to install the OBD0 DOHC ZC, no wiring changes are required at the distributor - the DPFI engine harness will plug right into the DOHC ZC distributor - part of the wiring changes necessary to convert from DPFI to MPFI is the addition of the two wires for the cylinder sensor - one wire runs from ECU pin C1 and connects to the blue with green stripe wire on the cylinder sensor and one wire runs from ECU pin C2 and connects to the blue with yellow stripe wire on the cylinder sensor

on cars originally MPFI, to install the OBD0 DOHC ZC, you need to remove the round 7-wire distributor connector from the engine harness and install a rectangular 5-wire connector in its place - this connector can be obtained from any 88-91 DPFI equipped Civic/CRX or any 88-89 Integra - match the wires color for color on the harness connector with the ZC distributor connector - the two left over wires should be blue/green and blue/yellow - add a short piece of wire to each and extend them to the cylinder sensor and connect them to the matching color wires on the sensor

Last edited by jlicrx; 07-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what model was your car originally? DPFI or MPFI?

on cars originally DPFI, to install the OBD0 DOHC ZC, no wiring changes are required at the distributor - the DPFI engine harness will plug right into the DOHC ZC distributor - part of the wiring changes necessary to convert from DPFI to MPFI is the addition of the two wires for the cylinder sensor - one wire runs from ECU pin C1 and connects to the blue with green stripe wire on the cylinder sensor and one wire runs from ECU pin C2 and connects to the blue with yellow stripe wire on the cylinder sensor

on cars originally MPFI, to install the OBD0 DOHC ZC, you need to remove the round 7-wire distributor connector from the engine harness and install a rectangular 5-wire connector in its place - this connector can be obtained from any 88-91 DPFI equipped Civic/CRX or any 88-89 Integra - match the wires color for color on the harness connector with the ZC distributor connector - the two left over wires should be blue/green and blue/yellow - add a short piece of wire to each and extend them to the cylinder sensor and connect them to the matching color wires on the sensor
i agree with everything stated here. and if you need to replace the dizzy you need to buy a 88-89 Acure Integra Dizzy. this is the only dizzy you can use for that engine 86-87 are full vacuum style and will not work. make sure if you pull one from a picknpull to check the valve cover only the 88-89 teggy has a Black Cover 86-87 has a Brown Valve Cover. Engine Code D16A1.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have round plug and dizzy has cut wires i just want this thing to run right,
could timing be off? the car starts sounds like hard running cannot give it any gas it starts tweaking out wont rev up high or much at all
Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly (it has been many years) I had the "code 9" problem with my OBDO ZC. I switched the 2 wires on the end of the camshaft and it was fixed.

Originally Posted by 89brokendownEF
i have round plug and dizzy has cut wires i just want this thing to run right,
could timing be off? the car starts sounds like hard running cannot give it any gas it starts tweaking out wont rev up high or much at all
That sounds like a wiring issue in the ignition system, but could be mechanical timing. Since the engine was running fine before you swapped it, and you didn't mess with the timing belt (I'm assuming), then mechanical timing probably not your issue.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely a wire problem...
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also check your sparks to see if you got any pinched spark plugs that need regapping.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i did my first leak down test i put 2 much oil and as a result of the first start up after testing compression smashed the gap and i got really ruff idle because no spark.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok say i had the distributor wired wrong into the harness, could this have messed up timing,
i got wires hooked up right still seems funny like i cannot give it any gas or rev it up

i thinks fuel gauge and temp gauge went off because i hooked up dizzy wires wrong.? any more thoughts about my situation would be highly appreciated
Old 07-18-2014, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it was wired wrong?
Fix the wires.
Check your fuses. Probably blew something for the dash.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any codes showing on the ECU? usually, when it won't rev up, you will have a code 4 which is also related to the distributor wiring or a bad distributor
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or a solid CEL which is for the ECU.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey if you crossed wires or something this will not effect timing as the actuel timing of the engine is mechanical ie Belt/pulley's dizzy. the only thing it will effect is the electrical part wich is the dizzy you may have cooked your dizzy. you may need a new one. also to note there are no fuses between the dizzy and the ecu. so you may also have cooked your ecu and or injectors. i know a easy way to check the injectors. hold a long screw driver to each one the metal part to the injector adn the plastic handle to ear as the car is running(idle) you should hear some clicking. this is good should be constant non stop clicking. for the dizzy and ecu swap out with ones known to be good this will determan if either is bad. then back and forth until you figure wich is bad.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xprometheusx
hey if you crossed wires or something this will not effect timing as the actuel timing of the engine is mechanical ie Belt/pulley's dizzy.
False.
There are 2 types of timing. There is mechanical timing and electronic timing (ignition timing). Both need to be in synch for the car to run right, and both interplay with each other. Usually if your mechanical timing is good, then either your ignition timing is good or you can correct any deficiency in the ignition timing by adjusting the position of the distributor. However, if the wires are wrong, then they will not send the correct signals at the correct intervals. This is because they will not be able to determine where the mechanical timing is (or should be) and thus the engine cannot function with proper ignition timing. The ignition events will be out of synch with the mechanical events = timing is off.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well your right in the fact that there is 2 types of the timing. i think his consern was more towards the mechanical timing. like i said electical timing wont **** up mechanical timing or set it off. he will have to fix the electrical timing issue once done all will work fine.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:30 PM
Trial User

Hi mate,can you please help me in D16zc wiring? Just swapping 0bd0 D16zc from JDM crx to my dual carb jdm ef. I got all parts including wiring harness, ecu, distributor ect from donor car but how to do wiring?? Originaly i had 2 plug ecu (pm4) but now i am will be using pm7. Please help.
thanks