Notices

Distributor Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Distributor Question

Ok, I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about my car... bear with me...

So of course I was playing around with it more today. I was going to convert back to OBD0 and run it that way for now. After rewiring the old dizzy in... soldering everything... I found that somehow I now have a broken rotor in it. No more leaving stuff at the shop I guess.
Anyway so a friend of mine who hasn't been a part of this project (one of the few, I assure you) was there all day changing a clutch. While he was waiting for something, he helped me out, and made me verify the cam timing was dead on. Then we tried starting the car with the dizzy advanced, like I had done before, and it of course it started up. The timing was off by the light, but it wasn't bogging as much, and wouldn't die when I quickly tapped the throttle.
Now, I'm using the Y7 dizzy on the Y8 head, could that be a problem? I know the mounting points are the same, but are the sensors all in the same place? Since it will run with the cam timing on, and the dizzy pushed back beyond it's mounts, it would seem to be the logical thing to check. I used the Y7 dizzy because I've been told they are fine for this, or rather, I've read it in guides. Of course, nobody seems to verify it, and looking at parts online they are different, and of course the EX ( Y8 ) one costs more. Could anyone tell me if they are the same? Does my reasoning here make sense?