Notices

D16z6 no start 88 crx si harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16z6 no start 88 crx si harness

Car wouldn't start one day after a torrential rain. Tested for spark and it has spark, replaced main relay because it noticed it wasn't clicking with key turn so I replaced it and still no clicks. I tested the main relay connector and I get 11.75v on the yellow w/ white stripe wire constant with no key. 10.6v on the yellow back stripe with key auxiliary. And 7.2v with key in on position not cranking. Does this mean there is a short somewhere inbetween the relay and ecu? I checked my ecu and it looked fine inside but did not do any electrical tests. Have replaced all fuses under dash and all the smaller fuses in the hood fuse box. This all started when it rained very very hard one night while car was parked outside and the passenger footwell where my wiring harness, fusebox, and ecu are located got pretty wet the carpet was damp a week afterwards when I finally pulled up the seat and carpet. Any help would be super appreciated my experience with electrical is pretty limited but I'm confident with good directions. I've searched to the best of my ability but everything I find relating to my issue doesn't have clear directions of they're conflicting with no solutions.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D16z6 no start 88 crx si harness

Originally Posted by YoYoNigs
Car wouldn't start one day after a torrential rain. Tested for spark and it has spark, replaced main relay because it noticed it wasn't clicking with key turn so I replaced it and still no clicks. I tested the main relay connector and I get 11.75v on the yellow w/ white stripe wire constant with no key. 10.6v on the yellow back stripe with key auxiliary. And 7.2v with key in on position not cranking. Does this mean there is a short somewhere inbetween the relay and ecu? I checked my ecu and it looked fine inside but did not do any electrical tests. Have replaced all fuses under dash and all the smaller fuses in the hood fuse box. This all started when it rained very very hard one night while car was parked outside and the passenger footwell where my wiring harness, fusebox, and ecu are located got pretty wet the carpet was damp a week afterwards when I finally pulled up the seat and carpet. Any help would be super appreciated my experience with electrical is pretty limited but I'm confident with good directions. I've searched to the best of my ability but everything I find relating to my issue doesn't have clear directions of they're conflicting with no solutions.

Water and electrical components are not good bed buddies. Personally I would remove the ecu and treat it like a cell phone put it in rice for 24 hrs so all moisture is absorbed. Then reinstall and absloutly check continuity. I'm by no means an expert . Just my observation. Hope it helps
Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does your car have carpet?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Efmysedan
Does your car have carpet?
OP is more of a tile kind-a-guy.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Open your ecu and see if it smells burnt

with no carpet there is more moisture present in the car after a rain. As water under and around it evaporates with no carpet it’s more likely to seep into the car. It could make condensation inside the ecu and fry a circuit.

After a rainy season my ecu went bad I opened it and it looked like condensation to me and it had no carpet. Coincidence maybe and just a theory

AND IT DID HAVE SPARK!!!!