Notices

D16Z6 Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 Fuel Issue?

Hey HT! Had a quick question. I have an 88 CRX with a mini-me swap in it (D16z6 head on an a6 block). Thing runs all well and good, except have been having a little issue lately. While the engine is running, it will start to bog a little, and loses performance. It almost seems like its not getting enough fuel, or something. I have one of those ebay AFPRs on it, just to keep an eye on the pressure, and it has been giving weird signs. I had it set to about 40 PSI previously (stock PSI for z6), but it has recently been showing a pressure of about 50-55 when the engine is idling. The main problem is after it has been running a while, and turn it off, then try to start again, their isn't almost any pressure (according to the guage). Wait 5 mins or so, and the thing gets pressure again, and runs fine. Fuel pump goin out? Or just need to reset the AFPR? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6 Fuel Issue?

Try cleaning the fuel injectors with a bottle of injector cleaner or run a can of sea foam through the car and clean the engine out . Its worth a shot . But if it doesnt work then its probably the fuel pump .
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks! Will do, and let ya know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the issue isn't as straightforward as I first thought. I took the rex to fill up on gas the other day, and after filling up, it wouldn't start at all (the pump wouldn't even prime). Was about to replace the pump, as I thought it died, but read something about the main relay being an issue on occasion. Unplugged it, and checked voltages (none of which seemed the correct value, but I may be wrong there). Plugged it back in though, and it started right up. Since then haven't had a problem starting, but it still bogs on occasion. The CEL will come on, showing a code 1 (air-fuel problem), and even though you open up the throttle, it seems like the pump isn't delivering enough pressure to keep up. It takes a second then catches up, and works well the higher the RPM, but 2.5k - 4k it bogs a bit. Any ideas? Bad pump? Bad TPS? Bad ECU? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take out main fuel pump relay (behind change holder), re-solder points. I was having a similar issue, vibrations over time seems to crack the solder. But it can act like it "somewhat" works.

It's a free fix, so do it; if it persists, check fuel system; ensure you are getting fuel pressure to the rail. If not, I would check fuel pump as last resort. It could also be the fuel pressure regulator, just systematically troubleshoot it.

I doubt it's a bad ECU but I've seen issues with bad connections, wiring issues; but start with the simple things first.

But seriously check the main relay first, and go from there.

Matt
Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Main relay - Solder the points or get a new/different one
2. FPR - put on the stock one, eBay one is probably failing.
3. Fuel Pressure guage - jegs has a on the filter guage for our cars at less than $30
4. Fuel pump - if you want to replace this I suggest Walbro. Either the stock or 190lp.
5. Injectors - Could need a cleaning, test for resistances to be within spec
6. Fuel filter - replace this, no one ever does and they go bad/fail/age.

A CEL 1 usually refers to a bad Oxygen Sensor. The O2 sensor will start to fail and throw bad readings and the ECU get's upset. It's like an old married couple, sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's hell. Better to isolate the issue and get rid of it. (bye bye gram gram)

I'd start with the cheapest thing and work from there. FPR, Main relay, fuel filter, FP guage, injectors, pump. If the first 3 don't fix your issue, replace the O2 because the CEL 1 could be the issue all together.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
A CEL 1 usually refers to a bad Oxygen Sensor. The O2 sensor will start to fail and throw bad readings and the ECU get's upset. It's like an old married couple, sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's hell. Better to isolate the issue and get rid of it. (bye bye gram gram)

I'd start with the cheapest thing and work from there. FPR, Main relay, fuel filter, FP guage, injectors, pump. If the first 3 don't fix your issue, replace the O2 because the CEL 1 could be the issue all together.
Definitely check the O2 sensor, good advice I've had an issue in the past which sounds similar and was resolved by replacing this and it's easy to replace and not too pricey (< $100)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses! After talking with some other guys to, they mentioned it was probably the sensor. Gonna get that switched out asap, and see what happens. Will let you know if anything happens!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So checked into this topic a little more. Pulled the oxy sensor and cleaned it, and the cell hasn't been happening. Also put in a new fpr, so all good there.. Still getting weird revs up to 3k at idle, and it still dies sometimes. Wondering if an ecu flash would fix it?