Notices

D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (vteckillenzc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u must have a fucked up motor i got a a8 but from a rover and it makes 130 to the wheels.the rover is rated at 137 to the flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Note that the only posted info is that A) its the newer Rovor motor rated higher from the factory, and B) that it made 130hp to the wheels.

What if someone said "my d15b2 is much better, made 145whp", but neglected to note it was running low boost? Regardless, 130whp from a stock ZC with just boltons is tough to get, even with a good EMS. All I can think of is that the operator or machine wasn't using the correct settings for correction. IMO dynos are great for showing differences between setups and cars - if they're all done on the same dyno.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (gold EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mill the head, instant power, cost 30 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive seen a guy at our old napa machine shop (where i used to work) with a single cam si milled the head 0.140 (one hundred and fourty thousandths). he had to remove the valves because he cut soo much off the head that it would have shaved the valves. this is all he did. he made 130 whp with intake headder exhaust. car ran 14.2. most amazing thing ive ever seen. only lasted 2 months...
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (gold EF)

bet that was a tuning nightmare
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (NACvicSi)

One of my mates, who owned an Si CRX a few years ago with LSD gbox etc. Ran a compression of 11.x:1 at one stage - was going through a set of plugs a week!!!

Hes got the CRX fever again - wants one again Hes like a Mad Scientist!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (SINISTR)

hey man can u post up a dyno sheet?and what a8 do u have?and as for the bs call &lt;^&gt; noone asked you!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

ok well i have read the uk rover manual and it siad it made 137 hp?i dont know im just tell u what i seen in the rover gti 416 manual.what i dont under stand this motor says it was made in 94 but its obd0 whats up with that?as for c/r i should have close to 9:1 cause im not using a cat.i need to find a dnyo to get some runs.anyone know how much it is?

i mean damn man u only made 102 hp u should of keep the single cam.i think they sold u a shitty zc?cause they aint no way u can make that low of power with a dual cam motor.ok explain to me how can u loss almost 27 hp? no way thats all though drivetrain loss.what ecu are u using?u do relize all zc are the same,(im talking bout DOHC ZC)the only diff between them is that some use a cat some dont which will mess with the c/r.not enough to see hp diff like that.the rover zc and the jdm zc are the same in every way.the only diff in my rover A/8 and a jdm zc is that i got a rover fined cover not jdm valve cover.jdm is stapmed with zc,my motor has D16a8. the a/8 is made to run with no cat the jdm zc has a cat.here is the page frim the rover zc manual.

http://thezcr.com/assets/images/zcbook/2a-1.jpg

Modified by vteckillenzc at 11:16 AM 12/6/2005

Modified by vteckillenzc at 11:18 AM 12/6/2005
Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it was "rumored" to be the same. Comp, intake, exhaust, and ecu design could be different as well as the cams.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok well i have read the uk rover manual and it siad it made 137 hp?i dont know im just tell u what i seen in the rover gti 416 manual.what i dont under stand this motor says it was made in 94 but its obd0 whats up with that?as for c/r i should have close to 9:1 cause im not using a cat.i need to find a dnyo to get some runs.anyone know how much it is?

i mean damn man u only made 102 hp u should of keep the single cam.i think they sold u a shitty zc?cause they aint no way u can make that low of power with a dual cam motor.ok explain to me how can u loss almost 27 hp? no way thats all though drive train loss.what ecu are u using?u do relize all zc are the same,(im talking bout DOHC ZC)the only diff between them is that some use a cat some dont which will mess with the c/r.not enough to see hp diff like that.the rover zc and the jdm zc are the same in every way.the only diff in my rover A/8 and a jdm zc is that i got a rover fined cover not jdm valve cover.jdm is stapmed with zc,my motor has D16a8. the a/8 is made to run with no cat the jdm zc has a cat.here is the page frim the rover zc manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quoted before changed again. BS on you all the way. Average Honda drive train loss with a manual is 15-17%. You stated that the D16A8 had 137bhp (which I doubt highly), then said you made 130whp...BS That's like a freaking 5-6% drive train loss Either your motor is modded or you are a straight lie.

And a cat won't change your compression ratio, your backpressure, but not compression ratio.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

There is the spec sheet he posted for the lazy people. Where does it say 137bhp? Your own sheet says 130!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i mean damn man u only made 102 hp u should of keep the single cam.i think they sold u a shitty zc?cause they aint no way u can make that low of power with a dual cam motor.ok explain to me how can u loss almost 27 hp? no way thats all though drivetrain loss.what ecu are u using?u do relize all zc are the same,(im talking bout DOHC ZC)the only diff between them is that some use a cat some dont which will mess with the c/r.not enough to see hp diff like that.the rover zc and the jdm zc are the same in every way.the only diff in my rover A/8 and a jdm zc is that i got a rover fined cover not jdm valve cover.jdm is stapmed with zc,my motor has D16a8. the a/8 is made to run with no cat the jdm zc has a cat.here is the page frim the rover zc manual.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couple of things...

here is the dynosheet you requested

Before you jump to conclusions - you need to understand Im in AUSTRALIA, and Australian Spec'd CRXs came with a DOHC ZC 1.6L rated at 126HP. The car never came with a sohc ZC as you seem to think, so I wasn't ripped off- Australia never got SOHC motors called ZCs.
Also - Each Dyno has different calibrations. Its up to the Dyno operator to calibrate the dyno correctly to suit the car...
Drive trainloss can be anywhere between 15-20% from what I have been told, this varies between cars, ambient air temp, wheel/tyre setups and ofcourse calibration. if you have a FAN blowing into the intake during a dynorun - you're going to get a higher HP than when you don't run a fan...

besides= All the other ZCs on the day made under 100HP.
Given JDM ZCs make 130HP (not the rover motors) - 20% loss comes up with 104HP@wheels. Take into consideration all of the other factors and you're either above that or below that.

And as for the BS comment - NACvicSi just answered WHY your 137HP motor couldn't make130HP@wheels... unless you have CAMS, intake,Exhaust and maybe an ECU.

All in all ... im happy with the engine HP as it gives me a base figure before I modify the engine more.

No Stress!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a Rover D16A8 motor that made 137HP with a 9.5:1 compression ratio compared to the ZCs 9.6:1 ratio... don't worry - I didnt know that till yesterday either haha and couldn't believe it. I recon it was a limited number of cars made with that.

Guys - this wasn't posted up to start arguments or flaming - pls understand that different countries DID get different motors for different cars and not all US stats are thesame. I have a D16A8 as well as my friends CRX which is a 1988 CRX - so even the stat sheet above isn't correct 100% saying post 92 DOHC... ..

Old 12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well now im didnt say i i have competly stock motor.im just saying 102hp from dual cam zc ?(i highly doubt that)unless he post a dyno sheet or something.hum and yea it can change c/r lil bit usign a cat or not.but not enough to notice.and yea it does effect backpressure.

C.R. 9.5:1 for the Japanese model&lt;&lt;with cat

C.R. 9.6:1 for the European model&lt;&lt;without cat

Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SINISTR)

like i said i got 93 rover zc obd-0 but i want to find a dyno now to see how much hp i really have.can u post a pic of your motor so i can see what kinda a/8 it is?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well now im didnt say i i have competly stock motor.im just saying 102hp from dual cam zc ?(i highly doubt that)unless he post a dyno sheet or something.hum and yea it can change c/r lil bit usign a cat or not.but not enough to notice.and yea it does effect backpressure.

C.R. 9.6:1 for the European model&lt;&lt;without cat

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but the CAT has NOTHING to do with compression. period.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (Aaron EF9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aaron EF9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry but im an idiot. But what does it mean to mill the head?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha wow dude
Old 12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS (nicks_jdmstyle_ef9)

maybe you should not be in this game aaron if you dont know whats going on.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

tru but wehter or not u have a cat will change the c/r just lil bit.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

tru but it does just a tad if u got a cat or not.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh so now you change your story and say yeah it's modded and makes 130whp. I still call BS, when you post a dyno sheet with pictures of your motor maybe I will semi believe you.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the 137 hp rover engines I have heard that is a total lie and never seen real proof, so I still don't believe it.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well now im didnt say i i have competly stock motor.im just saying 102hp from dual cam zc ?(i highly doubt that)unless he post a dyno sheet or something.hum and yea it can change c/r lil bit usign a cat or not.but not enough to notice.and yea it does effect backpressure.

C.R. 9.6:1 for the European model&lt;&lt;without cat</TD></TR></TABLE>

it doesn't matter

just when you said... "u must have a fucked up motor i got a a8 but from a rover and it makes 130 to the wheels.the rover is rated at 137 to the flywheel." sounded like your 'STOCK' 137HP D16A8 made 130@wheels - next time say you have mods right away LOL ... avoid alot of confusion.

My Dyno Sheet is just above... a photo of my graph.

Post a pic of my motor? it looks like a JDM Blacktop ZC - just has D16A8 Stamped on the number plate on the block.

Btw: here is a little vid of my car on the dyno:

http://savefile.com/files/6025654
http://savefile.com/files/2581098
Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the 137 hp rover engines I have heard that is a total lie and never seen real proof, so I still don't believe it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/Mod....html

couple have 135HP... i was shocked to be honest haha..
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok first off i never said it wasnt or was!2 i said i dont have dyno sheet.3 i was just saying i dont see how he made them low of numbers with dual cam zc.

anyways nice video.i hope u see better numbers then that good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckillenzc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tru but wehter or not u have a cat will change the c/r just lil bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats funny, when i do a compression check, the exuaust valve has to be closed...maybe you have one of those "specail" engines that we here on ht dont know anything about
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol really. I gutted my cat and my compression stayed at 175 accross the board

Quick Reply: D16A8 made 102HP@WHEELS