Notices

D16A6 to D16Z6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A6 to D16Z6 questions

I"m trying to install an SiR Z6 top end on my D16A6 88 crx si. I have the vtec solenoid and i noticed two electrical connections which plug into the wiring harness. Do i need to replace my ecu and get a new wiring harness for the top end to prove useful? or can i just install it without changing the wiring harness? if i do that will the vtec still work? does a vtec controller eliminate the need for me to change the wiring harness and allow the vtec to kkick in? ?? help!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16A6 to D16Z6 questions (puertoricanboy90)

Use the Z6 ecu. U keep ur old wiring harness but u will have to mod it, so u will need a Z6 engine harness. if u search u'll find a ton of info. also if u want to save ur self some wiring buy this http://www.boomslang.us/obd0to1.htm or http://rywire.com/store/8891-c...1308c
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm...SiR? That would be a B16A engine

The sohc vtec head would require you to do an ondI conversion meaning you need a conversion harness, an obdI vtec ecu, 4 wire heated o2 sensor, new exhaust manifold and dizzy if it doesn't already have one.
You will need a new head gasket of course, i'm not sure if all the parts and trouble are worth doing for such a small gain.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Deetz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm...SiR? That would be a B16A engine

The sohc vtec head would require you to do an ondI conversion meaning you need a conversion harness, an obdI vtec ecu, 4 wire heated o2 sensor, new exhaust manifold and dizzy if it doesn't already have one.
You will need a new head gasket of course, i'm not sure if all the parts and trouble are worth doing for such a small gain.</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://crx.honda-perf.org/arti....html
Read this too. http://crx.honda-perf.org/arti....html

Modified by Radim at 11:09 PM 8/5/2008
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not sure if all the parts and trouble are worth doing for such a small gain.</TD></TR></TABLE>

word. swapped a Z6 in my car and it was alot more fun,but it i ended up pulling it out and Im working on a different motor setup. if u can get everything for next to nothing than it might be worth it...then boost the **** out of it in the future.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Default Re: (Radim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Radim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
http://crx.honda-perf.org/arti....html
Read this too. http://crx.honda-perf.org/arti....html

Modified by Radim at 11:09 PM 8/5/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Taken from the 2nd link you posted....

"My results:
I ended getting 106hp and 101 ft/lbs. to the wheels on a dyno"

Wow, thats astounding.....no, i don't think so, not for the time, money effort.

Since i've owned 25 Honda/Acura cars and done countless swaps, my favorite and most rewarding upgrade was a 2000 model CRV B20Z engine with Integra tranny and axels. Whole swap $1400. With Toda flywheel, intake and exhaust the car put down 138hp and 132 ft lbs torque to the wheels. Fun as hell

Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm contradicting what you said, about converting to OBD1. 106hp 101lbs and vtec is well worth the 100-250$ over your 1,500.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Default Re: (Radim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Radim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm contradicting what you said, about converting to OBD1. 106hp 101lbs and vtec is well worth the 100-250$ over your 1,500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

obd1 conversion cost:

- P28 ecu $100
- ecu conversion harness $100-120
- 4 wire o2 sensor, new $180 (worth doing)
- used downpipe $40
- Distributor- used $50
- head gasket $75

So, you going to spend like $500 to gain 10-12hp? why? Plus, its not all numbers....the sohc D16 is gutless as hell below 5500rpm, gutless!

I'm not saying an engine swap has to be done, but, based on my experience, i would recommend spending an extra $1000 and get an engine that makes big power right off off idle all the way to redline, performance is amazing, as well as regular street driving, hell, i don't even have to gear down to speed up...just add gas!

For any person looking to up performance and spend hundreds of dollars to gain 10hp, i'll tell you right now, you won't be satisfied! Do it right the 1st time and get something that will make some power throughout an entire rpm range.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Z6 with a King Motorsports stage IV head job, crower stage 2 cam, crower springs and titanuim retainers, DC header, HKS Sport Exhaust, King Big bore throttle body, and hondata s200 put down 138WHP and 115WTQ on their dyno.....

I would say Z6's have some potential and im boosting her next hope for some better numbers
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Default Re: (Vinceg99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vinceg99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My Z6 with a King Motorsports stage IV head job, crower stage 2 cam, crower springs and titanuim retainers, DC header, HKS Sport Exhaust, King Big bore throttle body, and hondata s200 put down 138WHP and 115WTQ on their dyno.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good numbers for sure, but that would have cost a few bucks, and still won't give low end. I like having the power at will right now were i can literally step on the gas at any speed in 1st gear or multiple times and start smoking the tires...not even touching the clutch....it's the kind of power i'm trying to get other to realize can be had so easily.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan on doing a B series swap in my 90 crx si, but for the time being, I figured this would be a good place to get my hands wet, as I am a little short on the B series knowledge and finances. My CRX was hit back in April so now I decided not to keep it stock and clean, and play around with it a lil bit. I like the idea of the z6 swap because it is a good learner for me, as I still consider myself very new to the car industry...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good numbers for sure, but that would have cost a few bucks, and still won't give low end. I like having the power at will right now were i can literally step on the gas at any speed in 1st gear or multiple times and start smoking the tires...not even touching the clutch....it's the kind of power i'm trying to get other to realize can be had so easily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah a bit more than a swap...lol

But yeah I know what you're saying about low end and better TQ numbers help that.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (DEPintheCurve)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Taken from the 2nd link you posted....

"My results:
I ended getting 106hp and 101 ft/lbs. to the wheels on a dyno"

Wow, thats astounding.....no, i don't think so, not for the time, money effort.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you notice in the second link that the person who made that tutorial was also using a A/F guage on a narrowband, and talks about using an RPM switch for VTEC? I think it is safe to say that his build was not optimal.

We have come a long way since those days.. I am going to do a z6 headswap some time in the next year, "The Right Way ®" and i will be sure to post a dyno sheet and a writeup for my build. I plan to make atleast 130hp to the wheels, if not more after tuning with a wideband, with otherwise all stock honda parts.

Is it any surprise the guy made 106 hp when he was probably using a stock pm6?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sanimalp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanimalp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to do a z6 headswap some time in the next year, "The Right Way ®" and i will be sure to post a dyno sheet and a writeup for my build. I plan to make atleast 130hp to the wheels, if not more after tuning with a wideband, with otherwise all stock honda parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just being curious as to what you are all planning on doing with the head to put down atleast 130hp to the wheel? My Z6 had SUBSTANTIAL head work done to it and tuned with Hondata and it made 138hp to the wheels so was wondering what route you were planning on going?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Vinceg99)

Compression and revs are going to be the factors that get me where i want to be.. The head is going to be milled an undetermined amount and I will use a y8 2 layer head gasket on an a6 block. The valvetrain will have dual valve springs and titanium retainers and a different cam profile eventually. Even with just the head gasket and a6 bottom end, i will be at 10.2 ish compression, before head milling, which for those taking notes is a full point higher than a stock z6.

I am also going to tune the car to run in a higher rev range than stock, so i am hoping to eventually rev to 9k or higher, which is where the upgraded valve train comes in to play. Unfortunately, the valvetrain upgrade is back burnered at the moment, so my initial attempt will be to get as close to the 130hp mark as possible with the stock valve train. After that point an extra 1000 revs will come in to play to get me over the 130 hp hump with the upgraded valve train. I am hoping to get to 8-8.5k with the stock parts and plenty of my own time working on tuning timing and fuel, but we will see.

I forgot to mention that i picked up the head in a junkyard for $75, and my budget so far is around $600 for ALL new honda parts (timing belt, water pump, stuff that would otherwise be routine maintenence) and random crap you need for a junkyard head..and before a head rebuild and machining, which will be about $300. The $600 number also includes the price of a used p28 ($100), and a new obd0 - obd1 conversion from rywire ($190), but I am going to convert a p06 to a p28 myself, and I already have the plugs to build a conversion harness myself as well, so I think that $600 number becomes more like $300 because of that. It really boils down to how much you can do yourself though as far as cost/horsepower comparison for a b swap. as a final culmination of my post, i will get some 1/4 mile times between my friend with a stock ls swapped crx si (which i did the swap on )and my mini-me setup. I should be able to walk him already, given the 4.9 Final drive I already have, but thats my ace in the hole..

then the 2 year plan is to sleeve the extra d block i have and use the z6 head on it for some serious hp.. but thats all hopes and dreams at this point.
anyway.. ill be making a thread about the whole process, probably some time soon, so you and everybody else can keep tabs

i guess this post makes me one of the "SOHC for life" guys, and you can check my sig for the various project cars i have going on ATM..

Modified by sanimalp at 12:16 PM 8/7/2008