Notices

D16A Cylinder Head_ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A Cylinder Head_ HELP!!!

ey Everyone,

Need mad help, so I just took my cylinder head to get resurfaced and pressured tested for cracks.

It came back fine with no Cracks: mrgreen: , was warped a bit and was resurfaced as need.

Now! I didnīt know that the cylinder head needed to be pulled apart to be resurfaced (this was stated by the shop who resurfaced my Head) I donīt know how true this is but so be it they resurfaced the head and assembled it back.

However, they didnīt tighten it they just gave me my cylinder head assembled but didnīt tighten it any of the bolts. I figured they did this because the bolts that hold the cylinder head together most likely have to be torqued.

Weīll now my question is how do I go about torqueing those bolts and what is the torque sequence and whatīs the Ft. lbs. they need to torque to?

Also do I have to set any thing like the cam in the TDC position?

How do I go about getting the bolts on the cylinder head tighten, I looked all over but canīt seem to find anything possibly Iīm not searching enough since I donīt know the specific name for those bolts.

Also do I have to set any thing like the cam in the TDC posittion?

How do I go about getting the bolts on the cylinder head tighten, I looked all over but canīt seem to find anything possibly Iīm not searching enough since I donīt know the specific name for those bolts.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: D16A Cylinder Head_ HELP!!!

i have the answers to your questions tec
but first let me ask you a few

and thats who took the motor apart?
was it you was it a friend
who ever took it apart should have the answers to your questions
so why are you asking them here?

and heres your answers
all bolts that use a 12mm socket are to be tightened to 16lbs
and all bolts that use a 10 mm socket are to be tightened to 9lbs
and your 14mm head bolts (the ones that bolt the head to the block) are to be tightened to 49 lbs if your useing stock head bolts

good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask ^_-
Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to get a manual before you proceed
The bolts for the head and rocker assembly all are torqued in steps and in sequence.
Like this for example, and by steps I mean you torque them(with a torque wrench) to 24 ft. lbs. first, then to 49. The manual will say what is needed.

Not hard, just take our time and you'll be fine.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't he be replacing the head bolts? Honestly never put together a D series, but working on building my 5th B series and factory head bolts are one time use on all B series.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Creator
Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't he be replacing the head bolts? Honestly never put together a D series, but working on building my 5th B series and factory head bolts are one time use on all B series.
While it may be considered by some to be 'good practice', the manual does not specifically recommend you replace the cylinder head bolts each time you remove them on the D-series engines (or Accord / F-series engines either). I don't have a manual for the B-series engines.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Marcos, thanks for the info.

Now to answer your questions.

I myself took the head off, therefore thatīs why Iīm asking on here to get some information.

I know the sequence of that the head bolts need to be tighten but what I needed to know is the torque steps/ sequence for the camshaft holder/rocker assembly bolts. Would you happen to know it for the d16a?

A diagram provided by acmoc below your reply would be great or can I follow that same sequence for my d16a cylinder head as it appears that that sequence is for a D15B7 cylinder head. Is there any difference?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

acmoc thanks for the feedback ,Iīve been trying to find the manual down here in my city but havenīt been able to find it at any local AutoZone or any other parts store and will most likely have to order it online.

Any help on where I can find the manual online and would ship to Internationally would be great.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected. Thank you sir. I would follow the manual as well.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

this is what you need

Last edited by jlicrx; 03-15-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jlicrx Thanks, Highly appricated.

What manual is this from?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the head gasket on my car before, didn't replace the head bolts. I think you're good for one time re-use.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

acmoc, this is the 2nd time my head gasket blew as last time it wasnīt resurfaced and prior to that the head was rebuilt.

Would this still be ok, to use the same head bolts or shall I buy new ones?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one thing ive been doing for years is reuseing all bolts and nuts
but with head bolts, its a little different
normally a motor gets messed with 3 or 4 times before it ends up in the junkyard
so yes you can reuse your head bolts about 4-5 times
my little trick that ive been doing for years
is simple and thats just adding a little more torgue each time you reuse your stock headbolts
and when i say a little i mean just 1 lb more so instead of 49 lb do 50lb but if its your 3rd time messing with the bolts then do 52lbs get it? oh and make sure that your dabbing the treads on the bolts with motor oil before you start to tighten them down

so did you make any progress yet ?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by TECKSTEREX
Any help on where I can find the manual online and would ship to Internationally would be great.
Not sure if www.helminc.com does international shipping, but they are the best place to get a manual from (if they still print them for older Hondas).

Originally Posted by TECKSTEREX
acmoc, this is the 2nd time my head gasket blew as last time it wasnīt resurfaced and prior to that the head was rebuilt.

Would this still be ok, to use the same head bolts or shall I buy new ones?
Because the manual doesn't give a limit on the number of times you can re-use head bolts, you will probably be OK, but unless you have a hard time getting parts (since it sounds like you are not in the USA), you may not want to risk re-using the old bolts. I am going through the same thing on my Accord right now - blew the head gasket, resurfaced the head but not the block, put it back together with a new head gasket, and it popped again. This time I am finishing up a complete engine overhaul and I decided that while I am spending all this $, it is worth another $150 for some ARP head studs. If those are too expensive, Rock Auto has a set of Mahle head bolts for about $50 I think. I'd just hate to think after spending lots of $ rebuilding the rest of the engine that I skimped on something relatively small and risk an issue down the road. Ultimately it is your call, based on the level of risk you are comfortable with.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

when you get the cam back in and the bolts tightened, the head back on and the timing belt on, you will need to adjust the valves
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marcos Barrios
one thing ive been doing for years is reuseing all bolts and nuts
but with head bolts, its a little different
normally a motor gets messed with 3 or 4 times before it ends up in the junkyard
so yes you can reuse your head bolts about 4-5 times
my little trick that ive been doing for years
is simple and thats just adding a little more torgue each time you reuse your stock headbolts
and when i say a little i mean just 1 lb more so instead of 49 lb do 50lb but if its your 3rd time messing with the bolts then do 52lbs get it? oh and make sure that your dabbing the treads on the bolts with motor oil before you start to tighten them down

so did you make any progress yet ?

thanks for the information Marcos but Iīll barely began to put everthing back today once Iīm off work since I been too busy to start and needed to know everthing before proceeding, willl keep every one posted the head is in.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Not sure if www.helminc.com does international shipping, but they are the best place to get a manual from (if they still print them for older Hondas).

Because the manual doesn't give a limit on the number of times you can re-use head bolts, you will probably be OK, but unless you have a hard time getting parts (since it sounds like you are not in the USA), you may not want to risk re-using the old bolts. I am going through the same thing on my Accord right now - blew the head gasket, resurfaced the head but not the block, put it back together with a new head gasket, and it popped again. This time I am finishing up a complete engine overhaul and I decided that while I am spending all this $, it is worth another $150 for some ARP head studs. If those are too expensive, Rock Auto has a set of Mahle head bolts for about $50 I think. I'd just hate to think after spending lots of $ rebuilding the rest of the engine that I skimped on something relatively small and risk an issue down the road. Ultimately it is your call, based on the level of risk you are comfortable with.

Thanks DaX, Iīll look for the manual on Ebay most likey then and regarding the bolts Iī will try to look for them here in my city if not I will have to use the old head bolts.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlicrx
when you get the cam back in and the bolts tightened, the head back on and the timing belt on, you will need to adjust the valves
Thank you once agian jlicrx for these diagrams and your support there much help! I just want to leave work now to proceed with this!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRX is back and running! :D
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haay !! ^_^
glad you got it fixed man
its a great feeling when you know its running because of you
Old 03-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marcos Barrios
haay !! ^_^
glad you got it fixed man
its a great feeling when you know its running because of you

Indeed Marcos, best feeling ever !

Thanks for the help and also everyone else who guided me through this!