Notices

D15B VTEC Turbo in 1991 CRX HF

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B VTEC Turbo in 1991 CRX HF

Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy and I've been a member on Honda-Tech since I was 15 years old. I've owned a couple EF hatchbacks, and I have owned my '91 CRX HF a few years now. I finally decided I want to put in a motor with a little more power. So after searching for a few months I finally came across an engine, transmission, and turbo setup on Craigslist for a good price. The seller claimed the car ran 12's and pushed 250hp. Unfortunately I don't have very much information on the build so I will be tearing it down to see what is what. This is also my first turbocharger I will own so I am pretty excited to see how this will turn out. This thread will likely be slow but I am hoping to get the car ready for the road by July. Any feedback, advice, constructive criticism encouraged.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B VTEC Turbo in 1991 CRX HF

So, my phone isn't letting me upload pictures for whatever reason. I will start uploading pictures tonight from my home computer.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B VTEC Turbo in 1991 CRX HF

Finally, here are some pictures of the CRX. There's a picture from shortly after purchase up to recently. I haven't taken as many pictures as I would have liked but this is my first build. You can see when I purchased the car, the car I purchased the motor out of, my old motor in and out, the new motor out, and the bay so far. I would like your opinions on what steps I should take with each of the engines out of the car.

My goals for the car are to keep it daily driver oriented. I was told from the previous owner that he had it setup to run 12 seconds at roughly 250 hp and 12 psi. I don't know how true this information is unfortunately. Basically, I want to get it back as close to original as I can (with the addition of the turbocharger) to the best of my ability. I want it to be a fully reliable, fun, daily drivable vehicle to get back and forth to work.

My plans are to replace all fluids with OEM, hoses, stainless fuel lines, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, water pump, timing belt, cv shaft seals, all ball joints with new OEM, replace shift linkage bushings, remove A/C system completely, new rotors and pads, wheel bearings, ARP head studs, oil pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge. Some items I am not sure if I will need, or want, are new motor mounts, braided steel brake lines, front cross member bushings, and ARP wheel studs.

So some questions :
What else would be simple to replace while the motor is out?
Do I need to run an oil cooler with this new setup?
Should I buy new motor mounts, if so what would you recommend?
Crossmember bushings - would you recommend replacing these?
Will I need to run a 255 LPH Walbro fuel pump, or better reccomendations?
My fuel gauge isn't working either, would this be related to that or something else?
Attached Images