Notices

Crxguy's 1990 CRX frame-up restoration thread. (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crxguy's 1990 CRX frame-up restoration thread. (56k warning)

Nice hf , I just picked one up with 115.000 on the odometer. It also has hail damage and no rust. .The interior is not in very good shape though. I am going to pull the intake to clean out the egr ports.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd recommend you hit up Honda of America and see if they may be interested in purchasing it.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

holy crap back from the dead, dayum!

The white HF is awesome, and more fuel efficient than most hybrid cars today. But dang, if someone hits that car out on the road, you're almost certainly done for.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to show up to the party late, but if anyone is still here, I thought I would say hi.

I recently bought the red 1990 CRX in this restoration thread. It's currently sitting at a little over 30,000 miles.

If anyone is interested in potentially buying it, let me know. It's pretty much in perfect shape. I believe I must have purchased it from the person who bought it from crxguy.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to post in here to let you know that I looked though this whole thread. Naked.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidgfcxc
Hate to show up to the party late, but if anyone is still here, I thought I would say hi.

I recently bought the red 1990 CRX in this restoration thread. It's currently sitting at a little over 30,000 miles.

If anyone is interested in potentially buying it, let me know. It's pretty much in perfect shape. I believe I must have purchased it from the person who bought it from crxguy.
Are you trying to sell it in Fargo ND on CL for 10k?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by whited
I broke my AC hoses from moving them too much. I've done a lot of in and out BS over my build. I do something, put everything back together, then take everything back apart to do the next thing. Those hoses you have are clean, but I'll probably just try to take them off my crap CRX for my build. I'd probably remove the AC, but I already have that custom underdrive crank pulley with the AC on it.
I threw it up on Grand Forks Facebook Marketplace for $10k. I really wasn't sure what price it should be worth, and my friend told me to list it at $10k to see if I could get on a Jalopnik article like this one haha.

https://jalopnik.com/for-9-800-this-...ride-461823630

I was considering throwing it on BaT auction to see what could be had for it. I would expect somewhere from $6500-$8000 for it, as there were hardly any miles put on it by the next owner, and it's pretty much in the same shape as when crxguy406 restored it.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I threw it up on Grand Forks Facebook Marketplace for $10k. I really wasn't sure what price it should be worth, and my friend told me to list it at $10k to see if I could get on a Jalopnik article like this one haha.

https://jalopnik.com/for-9-800-this-...ride-461823630

I was considering throwing it on BaT auction to see what could be had for it. I would expect somewhere from $6500-$8000 for it, as there were hardly any miles put on it by the next owner, and it's pretty much in the same shape as when crxguy406 restored it.
I wish you luck! He did a great job restoring it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
I wish you luck! He did a great job restoring it.
He really did. I wish he looked at this thread to see the comments. I would love to see the car go back to his possession.

If any of you on this thread have a way to contact him, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello! I just figured it is a nice idea to continue this thread while I own the car. The odometer just hit 37,000 miles this week. It's been driving awesome.

I ended up having a weird problem with the car that the tail lights and interior lights suddenly stopped working. I got pulled over driving my girlfriend back from the Warren, Minnesota after going to the drive-in theater with the University of North Dakota Car Club. I ended up just not driving the car at night for several weeks while I searched for what the issue was. The fuse for the tail lights, interior lights, and license lights would blow instantly whenever I put one in. Eventually I just got so frustrated I replaced the entire interior wiring harness, since I couldn't find the short.

The lizard skin all seems to be holding up great. I also cleaned up some seeds that seemed to get underneath the interior

panels. Must have been a spill from the woman that owned it between me and crxguy406, haha

The short up being that the one of the wires leading to the right license plate light. It was caught between the bumper and the frame of the car, and had worn down to the wire! I wrapped up the part in some electrical tape, adjusted the wire so it wasn't stuck anymore, and now everything works perfectly!

I also got the tires balanced after some shaking on the highway. Oil change will be coming some time in the next couple weeks.

I ended up selling my RSX that had been my baby up until I got the CRX. I ended up finding out that the CRX is just so much more fun to drive.

Here are a few pictures of this and that, featuring my 315,000 mile Tacoma
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the crx!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Continuing daily driving the car while the weather is nice. I made it out to two autocrosses in Minneapolis and had a blast! The best part is the 5-hour drive to the cities cost me $20 in gas each way.

I bought some Kosei K1 wheels with some Falken Azeni tires on them for cheap in Minneapolis and have been using them for the autocrosses and daily driving. The sticky tires definitely make the cornering in the car fun. That said, I'm sti keeping the Si wheels for road trips and in case the car ever gets sold. (doubtful)

I'm going to end up needing to sell my Tacoma to pay for tuition, so I guess if anybody is looking for a nice 03' V6 4x4 Tacoma with a manual tranny, lmk.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, build sir!

I will be sure to revert back to your build thread whenever I need some motivation to finish my project.

Great work!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jcoope24
Awesome, build sir!

I will be sure to revert back to your build thread whenever I need some motivation to finish my project.

Great work!
Amazing job on this build! Great to see someone with the patience, skills and dedication to make something like this a reality.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a bit since any updates. Put the car away for storage in the winter, and its been there since. I wish I could move away from North Dakota haha.

I ended up buying a parts-CRX with a LS-VTEC in it. Skunk2 cams, Skunk2 coilovers, and a few other goodies. The seller mentioned something about the engine possibly having Eagle rods and some kind of aftermarket pistons, but I'm not totally sure I believe it. There was an Eagle sticker under the hood though, which makes me wonder...

All that said, I dont plan on swapping the red CRX. Currently, with 1990 CRX's hitting the 30 year mark and no longer being legal in "Street" autocross classes, I think I am going to prep the car for STS. This will include coilovers (considering both KW V3 coilovers and a traditional Koni-Yellow with Ground-Control sleeve setup) and maybe a couple other things. I plan on keeping the stock suspension in the garage, in case the day comes that I want it back.

Another thing I chose to do was make the interior a little bit less red. While I don't mind a some mild red accents in the car, the current interior is a little bit too much for me. I ended up pulling the dashboard today, and am planning to change the red sweeping board on it black, along with the vents and instrument panels, to match the rest of the interior. Probably going to do the door panels and headliner later as well. The seats and carpet will be staying red though. Not 100% sure if I am going to repaint the current parts, or use the panels from the parts-CRX.

Just gotta say, removing that dash was DIFFICULT. Took way more work than I expected haha.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always felt the same way about that interior Great upgrades.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Currently, with 1990 CRX's hitting the 30 year mark and no longer being legal in "Street" autocross classes"
-what do you mean, waht about a totally stock 91 CRX Si, is there a class for it?

"Just gotta say, removing that dash was DIFFICULT. Took way more work than I expected haha."

Well what you did was not that bad. try getting to this?

Old 02-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... The interior is still ripped apart, and I'm having second thoughts on what I want to do. Original plan was to use the Si parts car interior, paint it all black, then have all black doors and dash. Now I'm thinking, maybe I should do an OEM black-grey look? I think I'm gonna sleep on it a couple nights before I decide. We still have like 2 years before winter is over.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bheinen74
"Currently, with 1990 CRX's hitting the 30 year mark and no longer being legal in "Street" autocross classes"
-what do you mean, waht about a totally stock 91 CRX Si, is there a class for it?

"Just gotta say, removing that dash was DIFFICULT. Took way more work than I expected haha."

Well what you did was not that bad. try getting to this?

Looks like I mis-read the rulebook. 1990 and older CRX's are no longer eligible to compete in Street H classes at Nationals. I'm nowhere near good enough of a driver to go to Nationals, so it won't make a difference. Guess I might be keeping it stock for now then
Old 02-22-2020, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took the dashboard from the Si parts car and painted it black. The plan is to paint the Si door cards black as well, and keep the red dash and door cards in storage in case I ever want them back.

The painting technique I used was clean off the dash, spray a layer Duplicolor Plastic Adhesion Promotor followed by 3 layers of Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Gloss Black spray paint.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

keep the updates flowing, this whole thread from start to now is amazing. i agree too with the red being a bit much
Old 02-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like I mis-read the rulebook. 1990 and older CRX's are no longer eligible to compete in Street H classes at Nationals. I'm nowhere near good enough of a driver to go to Nationals, so it won't make a difference. Guess I might be keeping it stock for now then
I'm enjoying watching some progress on this build again. Your comment above is interesting too, any idea why the car can't compete in that class? I'm no pro driver either, but the SCCA has some funny rules.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nitroracer17
I'm enjoying watching some progress on this build again. Your comment above is interesting too, any idea why the car can't compete in that class? I'm no pro driver either, but the SCCA has some funny rules.
I think it might be because it's hard to keep a 30 year old car "stock". You can see earlier in the thread how much trouble crxguy406 had finding stock suspension for the crx. While it is possible, it's definitely not easy, and finding real OEM consumable parts is even more difficult. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Door cards painted. Came out a little more glossy than I would have liked, but it is consistent with all the other plastic interior pieces in the car.

Picture of the paint crxguy406 used matched up with the paint I used.

It looks like crxguy406 did not paint the black parts of his door cards at all, as the paint matches up with the OEM door cards and contrasts with the gloss Duplicolor paint.

Anyways, I'll post pictures whenever I get around to putting the interior back in.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More progress.

Quick Reply: Crxguy's 1990 CRX frame-up restoration thread. (56k warning)