Notices

CRX turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX turn signal problems

On my 88HF, my turn signals do not work. My hazard switch works and all bulbs blink like they are supposed to. I recently redid my engine harness with a Rywire custom harness. I dont think that has anything to do with it but, before I replaced the old harness everything worked? Does the turn signal switch just go bad? Is there a way to troubleshoot it?
I checked all fuses and everything is good.
I am stumped. If there is a way I can bypass stuff to get them to work I will. I just hate that the only thing keeping me from driving the car is turn signals!
Thanx
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX turn signal problems

Update

I replaced the combination switch and still didn't fix it. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear em.
I looked at the service manual and I followed the troubleshooting steps and it said that there must be a break between the yellow or grn/wht wire. But my question is which wire are they talking about and why all of a sudden would it go bad. All I did was replace the engine harness with a Rywire unit.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem and had to get a new hazard button. You may want to just grab one at a junkyard to try it.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you toggle the turn signal switch does the turn signal flash fast on your dash cluster? If so it is registering a break in the current somewhere.... The grounds to the turns signals go on a box, I will find a wiring diagram and put it up later when I get home. The box usually grounds on the inside of the engine bay near the front of the fenders for both sides... If your ground boxes are secured, then try this:

Get a voltmeter. Remove the malfunctioning lightbult and socket from the wire so all you have is the male plug that attaches directly to the wires. Put the positive end of the voltmeter cable in the pin for the positive (green) wire, negative for the negative (black) or ground wire. Toggle the turn switch. You should read a couple of volts (2-4.5) that flicker on and off in sync with the flasher at the dash. If you are not getting voltage, then you have a break somewhere in the line, or an open where the current could be grounding out prematurely, but in that case you would have greater problems. If you get a continuous voltage, most likely the turn signal flasher relay has gone bad, you will need to replace it. I will take pictures of this and post it up later tonight when I get home so have patience. The flasher relay is on the backside of the under-dash fusebox. I did a wire tuck a couple months ago and for whatever reason this went bad. You can pull it out of the junkyard, I got mine for free because the girl did not know what it was...

EDIT: I did not see where you said the hazard worked with them. Just check to see if you get the on and off voltage or a continuous voltage. Then continue following above instructions...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay here are two wiring diagrams showing the locations of the ground boxes... I will have to scan the one out of the Helms manual when I get home tonight...

Name:  g301.jpg
Views: 9436
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  g201.jpg
Views: 8867
Size:  61.2 KB

The one I am going to scan tonight shows you how the are actually wired...

Last edited by DEPintheCurve; 06-18-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot for the help. I'm stuck at work overnight so I won't get to try it until later tommorrow.
When I hit the turn signal either left or right I get no lights blinking either on the dash or bulbs. I don't hear a flasher or anything. It's like nothing is happening. Then, when I hit the hazard I get noises from the relay, blinking lights both on the dash and with the bulbs. So I'm thinking when I replaced the engine harness something came loose or wasn't replaced with the new rywire harness. There's a big plug near the driver fenderwell that was left empty when I took of the old harness that the new harness didn't come with. Everything else works though, headlights, dimmer switch, tach, etc.
When you upload that pic I'm just going to start from the fuse box and start chasing sparks. Which probably means I'll have to pull the dash off to see all the wires completely.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm so you are not even getting flashing at the dash? Definitely check the fuse for the turn signals... The hazards and the turn signals run off of two different fuses... Pretty weird but that is how they do it. That is why at times the hazards light up when the turn signals won't.

I apologize for not uploading the pic last night. I get off in an hour, and I got an alternator that is going to do any minute now, so I am going to the junkyard first, then home. I will upload it before replacing my alternator.

When you get home take a picture of this plug. The engine harness you replaced should not have had anything to do with the main harness for the lights... I tucked my lights last fall and did not have any interference with the engine harness...
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay sorry for the delay, but here it is:

Name:  06-18-2010010321PM-1.jpg
Views: 23192
Size:  123.1 KB

The onject circled and labeled #1 is the unit that controls the turn signals. If one or all of the turn signals malfunctions (symptoms being a continuous and un overly strong current such as 10v, or not lighting up) this could have gone bad. Mine did but my symptoms were a bit different. The object on the right circled and labeled number two is your turn signal/hazard relay. This is obviously working, because when you flash the hazards they all work. That is how you are getting power to the turn signals that are not normally lighting up under normal conditions. After thinking about it a little more, something must have been unplugged because you are not getting anything at the dash or at the lights, neither front nor rear right? I would use this diagram and the other one I provided to check all grounds, fuses (number one position fuse under the dash), and then if all else fails you could pull the dash and follow the wires all the way to the lights. I think you might just be missing something small here though. Definitely take a picture of that plug and post it up, because nothing should be undone as far as I know, but just for good measure.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much. I'm in the field doing some training for the next ten days or so. But when I get home on the 28th I'll definetly follow your advice and see what I can find. I have an aweful feelng that I'm going to have to take the dash off. We'll see soon enough.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Trial User

I have an 88 crx and the same thing is happening to mine. the turn signals don't light up from the outside or the dash and also the emergency lights. when I put my car in reverse the back lights don't light up either yet my brake lights work and my head lights do also. I need help troubleshooting this!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to the nikka edgar navarro:
just messing witcha.....it seems that the white box behind your fuses underdash is either disconnected or the board is fried up ...
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be the ICU. Does your intermittent wiper work, how about the rear defrost ??? ICU failure is VERY common, probably second only to main relay problems. Remove it from fusebox, open it up and look for toasyness.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DEPintheCurve
Hmm so you are not even getting flashing at the dash? Definitely check the fuse for the turn signals... The hazards and the turn signals run off of two different fuses... Pretty weird but that is how they do it. That is why at times the hazards light up when the turn signals won't.

I apologize for not uploading the pic last night. I get off in an hour, and I got an alternator that is going to do any minute now, so I am going to the junkyard first, then home. I will upload it before replacing my alternator.

When you get home take a picture of this plug. The engine harness you replaced should not have had anything to do with the main harness for the lights... I tucked my lights last fall and did not have any interference with the engine harness...
I was doing my side makers and two wires touched it made a lil nosie then my blinkers stoped working front and back and aslo the turn signals on the dash board.....IF i push the hazard button all the lights still work...Did i fry the turn signal fuse?????Help please
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Carlos Escobar
I was doing my side makers and two wires touched it made a lil nosie then my blinkers stoped working front and back and aslo the turn signals on the dash board.....IF i push the hazard button all the lights still work...Did i fry the turn signal fuse?????Help please
Old 06-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to mention that I experienced the same problem with my 10 amp fuse in slot #1 blowing the moment I use my turn. Here is the twist which i hope makes finding my short easier, its only when I use my Left turn signal. Using right and going into reverse keep everything up. I haven't tried hazards yet or the canopy light. if anyone has any suggestions other than what is already posted in this forum i am all eyes and ears.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really really hate to bring back this thread from the dead, but your issues (hazards working, but turn signals don't work and don't show on the cluster) are exactly what I'm running into right now. We just swapped in a CJs OBD1 harness and I'm not sure what the issue is. My reverse lights aren't working either. We replaced the blown fuse and nothing. Did you happen to fix this? Again, sorry!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Drummerkid51
I really really hate to bring back this thread from the dead, but your issues (hazards working, but turn signals don't work and don't show on the cluster) are exactly what I'm running into right now. We just swapped in a CJs OBD1 harness and I'm not sure what the issue is. My reverse lights aren't working either. We replaced the blown fuse and nothing. Did you happen to fix this? Again, sorry!
I should have posted when I found my problem. I discovered my problem was with bulb being out. Try to switch bulbs in the front blink lights, or rear blink lights, you may get a different reaction.