Notices

crx hood open in rain help/misfiring help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crx hood open in rain help/misfiring help

Iv got an 89 honda crx with stock d15b2 engine.about a month ago i was having trouble with the security system in it getting it unstuck outa valet mode.anyways left the hood open with the battery disconnected. it rained in the morning for just a few minutes.the car drove fine after that but started to misfire under heavy loads at low rpms. after about 2.5krpms it runs just fine. this only occurs after driving for a few minutes and the engine gets warmed up. its been gradually getting worse. iv checked the distributor and cap for moisture and couldnt find any. i checked the air filter and that seemed fine. i did a fuel injector cleaner thinking maybe i just got bad gas since i did just fill up the car previously. car still misfires bad.not throwing any codes at all. one wierd thing is that i keep checking the plug wires and every morning i pull them out and check them they have a slight brown moisture on them. maybe light oil and water? i read online and tried spraying the wires down with wd-40 and sprayed the inside of the cylinders with a little wd-40 as well. i still keep coming up with the same issues. i just ordered new performance wires online hoping this will solve the issue. just hoping maybe sumone out there can help me figure out how to get it running right again.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crx hood open in rain help/misfiring help

i would check the distributor again. similar situation happened to my dad and the distributor had small amount of moisture inside.
also i dont think its a good idea to spray WD40 into the cylinder.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove your plug wires 1 by 1 so you wont cross them (from valve cover) get a flash light and look around the plug at the bottom make sure theres no water there.

Even better get a airblower hook it up to a compressor and blow each tube were the sparkplugs go.

Also check that all 4 injector clips are on there all the way. You can start the engine let it idle then pull 1 sparkplug wire at a time (from valve cover) and see witch one doesnt make the engine speed drop. if you find this dead cylinder check for spark and make sure its getting fuel.

NOTE: Pulling the plug wires can cause shock! you can buy special rubber coated pliers to do this. harbor freight,autozone,pepboys,napa etc...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where was the moisture in the distributor? i checked the whole thing out just a few days ago again. the inside cover didnt seem tight on all the way. i readjusted it but it didnt do much. the cap is bone dry.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? If old, just replace them.

Any CEL codes?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the plugs are fairly new. the plugs were iridiums installed like 20k miles ago just about the same with wires. distributor is idk how old. and its not throwing any codes. im hopn the new wires coming in will fix the problem. it sounds like it will. car never stalls out or loses all power. runs totally fine at higher rpms.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
remove your plug wires 1 by 1 so you wont cross them (from valve cover) get a flash light and look around the plug at the bottom make sure theres no water there.

Even better get a airblower hook it up to a compressor and blow each tube were the sparkplugs go.

Also check that all 4 injector clips are on there all the way. You can start the engine let it idle then pull 1 sparkplug wire at a time (from valve cover) and see witch one doesnt make the engine speed drop. if you find this dead cylinder check for spark and make sure its getting fuel.

NOTE: Pulling the plug wires can cause shock! you can buy special rubber coated pliers to do this. harbor freight,autozone,pepboys,napa etc...
have you checked?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
have you checked?
Not yet.i forgot to check last night but wires shud arrive today.ill definetely update if it fixes it
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ratherdashing
Not yet.i forgot to check last night but wires shud arrive today.ill definetely update if it fixes it
if theres water down around the spark plugs or oil no matter new or old wires it will/can cause a misfire condition.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replaced the wires with performance wires i found online. ran better then ever. definitely fixed the problem. never buying regular plug wires again.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member