Notices

CRX B16 won't start (electrical / fuel pump issues)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX B16 won't start (electrical / fuel pump issues)

Just swapped my B16 into my 89 rex Si.

It was working fine at first, the engine would crank and start right up; you can hear the fuel pump working when you turn on the car before actually starting the engine too.

Then all of the sudden the engine just stopped turning on. It would crank but by the sound of it, I could tell that there was no fuel reaching the injectors. The fuel pump was not making any sounds. My buddy thought it might have been a ground issue. So he loosened and then re-tightened up all the grounds and the fuel pump started right up again along with the motor.

So it was working fine for a bit, and then it happened again. Except this time, not only will the car not start, but it won't crank. You can hear the main relay clicking and everything when you turn the key in the ignition, but no power reaches the starter. When we bypass the ignition and send power straight from the battery to the starter with a wire, it will crank everytime and SOMETIMES start.

The fuel pump is not churning anymore when the key is turned too. So my friend is also thinking it's the ground again, but I'm not sure. It seems like there's two issues:

1.) Fuel pump isn't turning on and sending fuel to the engine

2.) Ignition is not cranking the motor

The ECU is throwing a code 14 and code 21.

So far, we've tried replacing the main relay, the ignition, and I've checked all the grounds. I've also tried using a different ECU also. No luck =\

Help!