Notices

Crazy shaking at partial throttle only - What could it be? (91crxhf)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Close to West Chester, PA, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Crazy shaking at partial throttle only - What could it be? (91crxhf)

I have a 91 CRX HF with 110k on it.
It's a bone stock 91 CRX HF

More often than not, and only at partial throttle, I get crazy shaking at partial throttle, typically when lugging the engine (4th gear at 30mph, etc).

If I am on the throttle, it's fine. If I am coasting at speed, fine. Idling, fine.

Just some times, at partial throttle, I get anything from mild bucking (like not enough fuel) to 'OMG the car is about to fall apart!!'

Two days ago, was very cold, not a single hiccup. Then the next day, just about as cold, and it did it on command.

So... what could it be? I replaced both tie rod ends (needed it), they were both shot. No alignment since. It needs an alignment for sure.

I would think almost a balance/wheel spin thing, but no, it's fine at high speeds, 70mph, as long as I am either coasting in gear (or out of gear), or accelerating. Maintaining speed is when I can 'make it happen'.

So... Motor mounts? It's fine at idle. How can I inspect them? Thoughts/ideas?

I ran a bottle of Techron through, got a few CELs that went away at restart. I now have a can of SeaFoam (But I haven't done anything with it), but I don't think it's a fuel problem...

Input welcome. And I have 2x 90/91 CRX HFs, so I can parts swap for testing, if reasonable. Thank you guys.

*edit* Done so far
Full tune up (Kept rotor, it was still good/no time to replace, I will later)
Fuel Filter to be installed this weekend (March 15, 2009)

Last edited by phoenix_iii; 03-13-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
New User

Default Re: Crazy shaking at partial throttle only - What could it be? (91crxhf)

did it sit for awile before you started driving it or is it a daily driver?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy shaking at partial throttle only - What could it be? (91crxhf)

lov the rex , sounds like you need a complete tune up and wheel balance , put jack center of oil pan lift car slightly and tight the bolt not too
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM

yeah maybe just tune up.. and try changin spark plugs.. maybe some spark plug wires too
Old 03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't put the jack on the oil pan. That wouldn't be good
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PO said they just did the timing belt...

Maybe it is due for spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap...

What were you saying about lifting the engine a little with jack + block of wood? To see if it's the mounts? I've never tried to see if I can get it to shake while on stands... to be honest I'd be worried about it falling off!!!

I got a 'replacement' TPS only to find out the original is rivetted in place (okay... I have a dremel/can get a pop rivet gun)... and the replacement has to be calibrated (say what?)... with no simple walkthrough.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Probably a long shot, but bad alternator? it happened on my civic right after I bought it. At low speeds (like in a parking lot) or at lower rpm (cruising normally in 5th gear) the car would jerk. I had the alternator rebuilt and the problem was gone. My front and rear mounts were no good too, but I didn't change them until I put the D16A6 in my car. Not sure if that's the same problem that you're having though, it's not really a shake..
Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had the alt/battery light come on.

I have new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs to install tonight or Sunday. I doubt this is it, but the car would like to have these things I bet anyway...

and if I pull 'good' parts off of the 91, I will put them on the 90.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you find the problem? I'm having the same problem but at higher speed like 50-70mph?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how low is the car could it be axle bind?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr - your problem isn't this. Check wheel balance primarily, followed by suspension bits (tie rods, etc).

intense, the car is factory height, 110k on the clock. Would axle bind only happen at partial load?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so let me get this straight!

itys a swap -gsr
obd0 cable tranny?
in a CRX chasis
you have any idea what axles you have in there
they should be 91 integra non abs with the dust rings removed

next the shock mount bushing can cause a good vibration on accel and decel something to look at

also on my car i had an issue with the radious bushings being worn out and it would cause my car to feel like the wheel was walkin back and forth

and one last thing to look at is the white bushing in the passengerside of the stering rack for play up and down will cause the wheel to move toe in tow out on accel and decel

let us know what you find and report back
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

????

It's a bone stock 91 CRX HF...

I was answering the guy who was trying to hijack my thread...

I also did the tune up (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap), and it did not help. It was also warm today, and very bad shaking on demand...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really want to get this fixed... It's holding me up from letting my girl learn to drive a manual trans...

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you changed your fuel filter? sounds like you may not be getting enough fuel... i mean, i know that the hf was designed for economy, but perhaps the ecu is doing too good of a job? lol. but seriously, i'd try to check the fuel pressure to see where it's at...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DCRB, I was thinking of doing this next, but I am going to pay to have it done, it's a stinky little job. It's right on the firewall, right? Ick. Don't want to stink like gas and then come home to my girl in my apartment.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replacing Fuel Filter this weekend, just bought it.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bud, the tps is actually pretty simple to change. Don't dremmel, that just takes too long. Place the throttle body in a vice, or leave it on the car, and using a small, sharp screwdriver and a hammer, tap the appropriate side of the rivet to spin it out. Then just replace it with some allen cap bolts. As far as calibrating, you need a DMM, with it on, and reading the sensor wire, make sure that it reads .5 volts DC at full close, and 4.5 volts DC at full open.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shaggyeg6si
Hey bud, the tps is actually pretty simple to change. Don't dremmel, that just takes too long. Place the throttle body in a vice, or leave it on the car, and using a small, sharp screwdriver and a hammer, tap the appropriate side of the rivet to spin it out. Then just replace it with some allen cap bolts. As far as calibrating, you need a DMM, with it on, and reading the sensor wire, make sure that it reads .5 volts DC at full close, and 4.5 volts DC at full open.
Thank you so much for writing that out! Mine didn't come with a new gasket, do I need that? How do I 'calibrate' it if I don't get those values? Sounds much easier than I thought! I can also just swap between my two CRX's (the throttle body) as a test, right?