Notices

Cooling problem, 1991 civic wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problem, 1991 civic wagon

well here's what happened, my car was low on coolant a few months back so i just put water into, ya i know stupid me. The weather recently got cold around 15 degrees ish. Well everything froze, i took off my radiator took it inside and unfroze it and put a space heater under the hood warming everything else up. I started the car bled the cooling system and what not and I'm only getting warm air inside my car after like 20 mins. The Temp gauge reads a little under half way mark, the usual, and the thermostat wont open nor will the cooling fan turn on. So i replaced the thermostat redid yada yada, still same problem. I boiled the new thermostat, it opened so i installed that. Now all the coolant hoses get hot But the bottom one.

motor is a d16a6. any ideas on what else i should look for?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling problem, 1991 civic wagon

it may be the sensor or therm switch for the fan that got damaged when it froze.. have you tried jumping wires to the fans to make sure they start? check fuses?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bottom hose shouldnt really get HOT, just warm.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So your lower hose is NOT getting hot?

I am guessing your thermo still isn't opening up to circulate the coolant.
Same thing happened to me. I went back and bought another damn thermo and fresh coolant and flushed everything out. I even jacked up the front of the car so that the bleeding of air would be easier.

How long are you letting the car run?? If your temp gauge is reading normal then the car may need more time to get hot to activate the thermo.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bottom hose is not even warm, its just cold. and I was letting the car run for about 15-20 mins.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, is it over heating? im failing to see what the issue is.. lol.. if its not overheating, then you are good..

and one side of the hose is supposed to be cooler than the other.. that means the radiator is doing its job
Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having a similar problem. I replaced the rad, oem t-stat, waterpump, and checked all cables and blend doors to make sure they are working. I flushed the heater core with water and air pressure. When i'm in the shop it's blowing so hot then on the ride home it's almost like the hot air disappears and it just luke warm. When i get out and get a coffee, jump back in the car it freezing. It's like the car never warms up, maybe there's a giant hole under my back seat and the hot air is getting out.....

I have bled the system with the bleeder valve and made sure the cooling fan came on at least 2 times. I can run the car in the morning for like 25 min and the temp gauge is just barely off the cold line. When i start driving it comes up though to the normal temp.

So this thermo switch you guys are talking about whick one? The one just off to the side and under the distributor or the one in behind by the oil filter? The one by the oil filter does it matter which wire goes where? I have had the wire off and couldn't remember which pin they came off.

So to the guy that started this thread try flushing your heater core and it takes a LONG time for the fan to come on, probably 30 min.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DJYoshaBYD
well, is it over heating? im failing to see what the issue is.. lol.. if its not overheating, then you are good..

and one side of the hose is supposed to be cooler than the other.. that means the radiator is doing its job
the problem is the thermostat isnt opening, cooling fan not turning on and no heat just warm air coming through the vents

And how do you flush the heater core?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the 2 wire one next to the thermostat housing, if im not mistaken.. havent had to replace one in any of the ones i had
Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by simplegreenmachine
the problem is the thermostat isnt opening, cooling fan not turning on and no heat just warm air coming through the vents

And how do you flush the heater core?
if the termostat didnt open, your car would overheat... no flow = no cooling

there is a thermo switch that controls the off/on action of the fan, i believe to be located on or near the termostat housing.. check that.. also, JUMP wires DIRECTLY from the battery to the connectors on the fan to test them and make sure they function when power is applied.. Check fuses.. Check the thermo switch, check the cooling relay

For the slow heating thing, you may have damaged the core from it freezing.. flush it out really good, and see if that helps..
Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the car isn't overheating but if the thermostat is in fact open wouldn't the lower hose be at least warm?its ice cold
Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To flush the heat core just look at the fire wall and find the hose with the little valve on it. There should be another hose the same size just about it. Those are the inlet and outlet of the heater core. Take those off and get a good water hose with pressure and spray it out. Go both ways(in and out and then switch out to in).
Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DJYoshaBYD
its the 2 wire one next to the thermostat housing, if im not mistaken.. havent had to replace one in any of the ones i had
I know the wires on that sensor make a difference if their mixed up. I also have another thermo switch on the back side of my engine(beside the oil filter) that have two wire that clip on like the oil pressure switch wire does. I can't find a diagram showing which pins are what.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by simplegreenmachine
well the car isn't overheating but if the thermostat is in fact open wouldn't the lower hose be at least warm?its ice cold
not necessarily.. If it was cold enough to freeze the water in your radiator, its probably cold enough to make your radiator hella cold, which increases the efficiency of it.. I got alot of fam from washington, and am actually from Auborn, and kick it near Bonnie Lake.. lol.. i KNOW it gets cold there.. haha