Notices

Cooling Ducts/Scoops in Place of Front Bumper Lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Cooling Ducts/Scoops in Place of Front Bumper Lenses?

I've got a 1990 Civic wagon, and I recently replaced the JDM clear corner lenses (one was cracked) with some all amber corners - think Vision corners for EGs. I like the look, but then it called out my also-orange bumper lenses for being a different shade of orange, and not very glossy. I can swap the bumper lenses out in favor of some smoked clears, OEM clears with the orange center housing, or a matching set of orange ones...but then I got to thinking.

1988-1991 Civics don't really NEED their bumper lenses, right? Mine alternate corner lens-bumper lens back and forth when the blinker is on, and my corners also flash when the hazards are on, so why can we not delete the bumper lenses? I'd love to remove them and replace them with a form fitted duct or scoop, and run a brake cooling duct or something. I guess I've never really looked at the EE/EF front end that closely before to see that it's kind of "light-y" and overly done.

Has anyone EVER seen cooling ducts/scoops in the front bumper in place of the rectangle signal lenses? I've image searched on Google, checked EBay, typical JDM parts sites - nothing.

If someone has seen them, or even better, can link me some I'd LOVE to see them. Ideally for me I'd love plastic ones, but if they were carbon fiber I could live with that. I'm not trying to bling it out, or draw attention to them. Some subtle flat black intakes would be badass.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Cooling Ducts/Scoops in Place of Front Bumper Lenses?

79 views, no replies?

Am I the first person to ever think of this, really?
Old 01-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought of making some for my car however I couldn't find the time for it. I have seen some for the jdm bumpers online before but I believe those are custom as well.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Directly behind the lights leads to the frame horns. Not sure how you could direct the intake.

If you moved the battery and used a DC Integra style intake it may work.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the corner lamps on the front next to the headlights are actually park lights. If yours light up when you have your turn signal on, then someone has modified the wiring.

The hole size left after you remove the indicator is quite small too, so it's not going to be a very effective intake (any more than the factory intake). Plus you would need an extra few feet of piping to route it to your intake, so there wouldn't be any performance gains.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
the corner lamps on the front next to the headlights are actually park lights. If yours light up when you have your turn signal on, then someone has modified the wiring.

The hole size left after you remove the indicator is quite small too, so it's not going to be a very effective intake (any more than the factory intake). Plus you would need an extra few feet of piping to route it to your intake, so there wouldn't be any performance gains.
Wiring is not modded. When hazards are on rear signals, front corner lenses, and front bumper lenses all flash in sync. When turn signals are on the front corners and bumpers lenses alternate. Both are not needed.

Here's a YouTube video where a bad ICU kept the corner blinkers from flashing with hazards on like it's supposed to.

https://youtu.be/Fl6rZ31dk1o

...and I was thinking brake cooling ducts, not air intake for engine. I do see the challenge of the small depth behind the bumper lenses though. Would be a challenge to have room for a scoop, flat ductwork, and routing to brake area.