Notices

continuous fan switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default continuous fan switch problems

hey guys, im back with my 1990 honda civic hatchback, D15B1

last summer my cooling fan spontaneously stopped working, causing my car to overheat any time i sit in one spot more than 3-4 minutes. replaced the fan switch, which was a pain in the *** to get to, and everything worked fine after that.

so what is my issue?

fan has stopped working yet AGAIN. everything ive seen points to the switch or the relay being bad.looking to do a Z6 mini-me in the near(ish) future, but wanted to get the fan sorted out first. has anybody else had their fan switch fail repeatedly? replacing the switch every summer is going to get old real fast...
Old 06-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: continuous fan switch problems

Fortunately, the Z6 has the switch located on the thermostat housing.

I would get under the car and jump the connector wires together to verify if you existing switch is bad or if it's something else.
that would be weird if your switch is failing so quickly.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats kinda what i was thinking too,
im actually working on a brand new harness for the Z6, but have a lot of work left before im ready for the swap.
that with the warmer weather is literally the only reason im looking into the cooling system issues, so i figured id see while im at it, if anyone else has ever had repeated malfunctions with their fans.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My mate did,drove his nuts after replacing parts and still overheating on warmer days.Finially took it to an auto electrician to find out the previous owner had wired the wires to the fan wrong.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fortunately, the wiring harness is one of the only parts in this car that the previous owner had NOT tampered with, (when i did my MPFI conversion, i simply bypassed the old wiring by disconnecting the ecu pins and replacing them with new wires for the injectors and the 2 distributor wires, with a jumper for the distributor) and the fan worked when i got the car 3 years ago, it suddenly quit working once the weather started staying above 80 degrees, i replaced the switch and it worked again right up until we had another hot week.

made a wire jumper last night with 2 bullet style connectors and turned the key on and fan worked. no idea why the switch would spontaneously fail when it gets hot, so i think ill just wire it up for the Z6 t-stat housing for the time being. then i wont have to change the thermostat and housing when i do the swap since itl already be there.

have you guys had any issues running the stock EF hoses with the different outlet angle of the z6 housing?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it on my car, no issues.

Name:  DSCN6556.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  161.2 KB