Notices

Connect horn to aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connect horn to aftermarket steering wheel?

I'm still trying to fix little issues with this car I bought, and the next thing on my list is to try to get the horn reconnected. The car has a Tenzo-R steering wheel, outfitted with a quick release hub. It seems like such a simple fix, but it is confusing the hell out of me. I can make the horn honk by touching the steering column to the little brass piece that's inside the steering column cover(plastic stuff). I can't get it to work beyond that point though. Can someone direct me to an old post that covered this or help me figure this out? I tried to search, but couldnt find anything that helped....
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Connect horn to aftermarket steering wheel? (2k3msp)

Im going to assume that wheel actually has a horn button on it. If so, just look at the wheel, and press the horn button. Look for whatever metal the button makes contact with ONLY when its pushed. Thats the metal you need to align that little brass peice with, on the rear side of the wheel (or the hub i guess). Ive never done an aftermarket wheel, but i assume it works the same way as the stock wheel.

I actually just had to fix mine and i had a [freak] of a time figuring out exactly how that works. My brass peice was bent like this: W and was sounding the horn all the time.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 PM

That's kind of the problem I'm having. I can get it to honk, but it's a constant noise. I'm trying to figure out how to open (or close) the circuit to only have it work when the button is pressed.
There are two little brass screws on the backside of the wheel that come into contact with two little brass screws on the hub when the button is pushed. The two brass screws on the hub are connected to ground(black) and the constant(red wire). I need someone whoes actually done it on a wheel with this kind of set up I guess...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Connect horn to aftermarket steering wheel? (2k3msp)

when i installed mine it had 2 posts on the back the horn button you had to connect them right for it to work but if you have a quick release the wiring would probably get in the way when you take it off http://www.tenzoracingsports.com maybe you can find some info on there site hopefully this will help a little bit