Notices

b20 crx plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 crx plans

So with spring rapidly approaching I wanted to get some info cleared up since all of my research has led me to open ended questions and misleading information, and I want to order my stuff soon.

So with that being said I have a 90 crx dx, and I'm looking to do a b20 N/A swap because they're cheap and I've heard they're pretty reliable. I know there are a few different b20b's available but I'm planning on using the 99-00 spec long block from hmotors.

My questions are:
- Will a b20a from a prelude drop in without major modifications?
- Which tranny would be best for a b20b from a crv?
- Are they more reliable with vtec heads or non-vtec?
- If vtec heads are better, which one should I go with?
- Will my stock axles work with the trannys that bolt up to b20s?
- What else would I need to get it fully functional? (Harness, sensors, water/oil pumps, etc)

I know this information is readily available with the use of the internet but like I said a lot of it seems misleading and incorrect. If I could get somebody that has done a similar swap to show me the way that'd be awesome! And thank you in advance for any information that you all can provide.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: b20 crx plans

http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFswapguide.html
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rockshmo
So with spring rapidly approaching I wanted to get some info cleared up since all of my research has led me to open ended questions and misleading information, and I want to order my stuff soon.

So with that being said I have a 90 crx dx, and I'm looking to do a b20 N/A swap because they're cheap and I've heard they're pretty reliable. I know there are a few different b20b's available but I'm planning on using the 99-00 spec long block from hmotors.

My questions are:
- Will a b20a from a prelude drop in without major modifications?
- Which tranny would be best for a b20b from a crv?
- Are they more reliable with vtec heads or non-vtec?
- If vtec heads are better, which one should I go with?
- Will my stock axles work with the trannys that bolt up to b20s?
- What else would I need to get it fully functional? (Harness, sensors, water/oil pumps, etc)

I know this information is readily available with the use of the internet but like I said a lot of it seems misleading and incorrect. If I could get somebody that has done a similar swap to show me the way that'd be awesome! And thank you in advance for any information that you all can provide.
B20a I would not use if going b20 Vtec.....any b series Tranny would work ( b16, Gsr,etc.) If u plan on doin a hydro conversion u will have more choices on the Tranny...reliability?. Not sure but mist people use them for the block and throw a Vtec head on for more power....the vtec head all depends in what u are planning on doin ...boost or all motor.?...u are gonna need b series axles for a Ef....to get it to fit ur gonna need ..engine,Tranny,axles,harness,ecu,shiftlinkage,mou nts, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91 EF DX
Holy crap thank you, how did I not find this website?!?!

Originally Posted by K20AllMotorEF8
B20a I would not use if going b20 Vtec.....any b series Tranny would work ( b16, Gsr,etc.) If u plan on doin a hydro conversion u will have more choices on the Tranny...reliability?. Not sure but mist people use them for the block and throw a Vtec head on for more power....the vtec head all depends in what u are planning on doin ...boost or all motor.?...u are gonna need b series axles for a Ef....to get it to fit ur gonna need ..engine,Tranny,axles,harness,ecu,shiftlinkage,mou nts, etc.
I'm more or less going with the flow, if I can find a cable tranny I'll use it, if I have to convert to hydro I'll do that. Not much in the junkyards around here unless I drive 3-4 hours out.. and most of the guys who run junkyards around me have no idea what I'm talking about when I go in asking for certain honda parts. Had a guy give me the wrong tranny (twice) insisting that it would fit my car/engine, which it didnt.. I'm planning on N/A vtec (vtec for the extra power) since I'm not going boost or anything. Thanks for the info man.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let us know how it goes man! Make a build thread if you feel up to it. I'm in the same process as you with gathering info, parts and prices for a spring to fall project.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i commend you for wanting to test out this swap. b20 vtec swaps are cheap because most people have the parts laying around or seen alot of b20 motors at the junk yard. if you needed someone to guide to that site. i would say your not ready. they can be reliable set ups if done proper aka the expensive way. you have to pay for the know how and the quality parts. since you will be having to source for everything, and modifying your head to work with the block. as it is a scratch build up. save the money and hassle and get a cheap sir b16. hope it goes good for you either way..
Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where you are find a cheap B16?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civic-ZC
Where you are find a cheap B16?
he already has to get a hold of a b-series head, and tranny. it wont be too hard to find a complete set up. i see lot of part outs in the classifieds all the time. hit up all the forums, you can find one. i bought a non running 89 hatch with a first gen jdm sir1 for 1000$. didnt take much to get it running certanly less than to make a ls-vtec.