Notices

Carb to EFI swap on '85 CRX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb to EFI swap on '85 CRX?

I posted this in the tech section, but no one is responding, so I thought I'd post it here too-

I'm completely new to the world of Hondas, and am looking into trying to buy an '85 CRX with a bad engine that's been sitting a number of years. The body appears to be good, and the interior is mint.

I'm curious- how difficult would it be to swap it to an EFI engine? I'm not trying to build a fast car- I just want a daily driver. I've been told by some others (none of whom have ever done such a thing) that all I need is the engine, harness, and computer. Someone else mentioned that the transmission in it may not be geared for a different engine and I may need a transmission as well. But I wonder if I'd need to completely rebuild the entire fuel system, rewire half the car, etc.

Does ANYONE know what would be involved in such a swap, what engines would work well for doing so, etc? I don't need VTEC, though it might be fun to have.

Or are there newer, slightly better engines I could use in place of the dead one and retain the carbed setup? Are the carbed cars difficult to work on? Any ideas?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.redpepperracing.com

We have all the first gen info you need.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Masta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Masta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.redpepperracing.com

We have all the first gen info you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You basically need to swap all the FI stuff from a 1st gen Si model. I'm talking fuel tank, lines, everything. It's a major pain in the ***.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (Tippyman)

Argh, I'm guessing by 1st gen, you mean the same generation CRX as this. There's NONE of them around here. I could find some of the '88-'91 cars, but early ones just don't exist. ARGH!

Well, thanks for the info there! Any ideas what other motors would bolt in place of the stock engine that I could bolt the carb setup onto? I don't know how difficult it would be to find another engine exactly like what's in it.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: (stationwagonguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stationwagonguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any ideas what other motors would bolt in place of the stock engine that I could bolt the carb setup onto? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Knowing what country you are located in (and state too!) would be a big help. Please add your Location to your Profile. Thanks