Notices

Car wont start, Something clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, Something clicking

So here I am again... Same problem. Just had the car going a week ago...

New battery..

Started the other day. Been parked...

Lights go on dash lights up, pump primes but it does not send signal to starter to crank. I checked fuses... Removed a ciggarette lighter fuse and the clicking goes away, but I loose radio..

Turning key on and attempting to start the radio goes out and a relay near the floor by radio is clicking.

My dad jumped solonoid and it turned over and started. I tested the signal wire and I am not getting 12v when attempting to start.

Is there a area I can look or work on to get the car to start with key.

It does this time to time and I think the battery goes weak but my dad claims its a wire some where or a short.

car is a 1991 honda civic hatch
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start, Something clicking

Check if the cushion plug is missing at the top of the clutch pedal where the safety switch touches. If the plunger goes through a hole, it's missing. Place a penny over it and wrap with duct tape.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is called your starter relay. You can get one of those at a parts store
Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The relay behind the radio near the floor is your starter relay.. sounds like it is bad.. there 35 dollars I would start with replacing that since its clicking and acting funny
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I am not a Newbie to this at all.

I build the car from the ground up.

Now the clutch pedal has had the plastic component come off. I did use a nut and bolt threaded to make the same setup to hold the pedal.

I also have about 6 or 7 of the relays. I have junked out a few cars and removed little things like that and have a large stock pile. Funny thing is each one I use does the same thing.

I just want to point out again that with the key on radio and all works and when it goes to start it cranks out. Not sure why its going out but no fuses are blown. that is the same time I heard the clicking and It happned before to me.

I have owned the car for almost 10 years now I drove it as a daily a while back and build it up with a aggressive swap. It currently has been sitting for 2 years, I started it off and on, I just got a brand new battery and it was up on charge. I just went through a move and car is at another property and we are going to be doing some excavating where car is parked. I am going to be driving it all summer and putting it to good use.

When I have some one (my dad) give me a hand he jumps the signal power tab against the other larger wire on starter and car starts.

is my relay bad?
Or is there a fault or break in the wire. I tested the signal wire with a Digital Volt meter and it does not have 12v.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also check your ignition solenoid and ignition switch. Take out the main relay and open it up and see if the circuit looks burnt. May also check the ICU behind the fusebox, not sure if it messes with starting but it is also a good thing to open up and check if the circuit board is burnt being very old cars
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turned out it was a micro switch on a clutch pedal way up. I moved it around and it fired right up.