Notices

Removal of carburettor & protection for manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of carburettor & protection for manifold...

Hello friends,

I am planning to remove my carburettor and take back to England, from the USA where my car is, to get the carb rebuilt at home. My car will be left in New Jersey for perhaps around 9 months with the carb gone so want to ensure I protect it as well as possible. I have been advised the following and would appreciate some input on this:

1. A mechanic at the dealership advised, smearing oil in the intake manifold and leaving an oil soaked rag in place there as well before covering the manifold with plastic bags and tying up with cable ties. It maybe 9 months that I am gone home for. What do you think and would you advise anything else or different?

2. Secondly I want to leave my car jacked up as I have got new tires on it. Was thinking to get some concrete blocks and maybe top with a piece of wood or some old camping roll mat I have in the car to make it easier on the metal underneath that is a little old and frail. Would you agree that this is ok?

Many thanks for you help and advise,

Jon
Old 10-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removal of carburettor & protection for manifold...

One more thing....

How will I plug up the fuel intake line and make that safe and secure?

Thanks again,

Jon
Old 10-04-2019, 12:57 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

As long as you put something in the intake to keep critters from getting in, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure whatever you put in there (rag), that you are able to get all of it out when you reassemble.

Wood/foam on top of blocks will be OK. I would recommend using solid blocks and laying them down flat instead of leaving them up where they could tip over if someone or something pushed the car.

I'm not sure how the fuel line connects to the carburetor, but if it's just a rubber hose with a clamp, put a bolt in the hose and that should keep fine. If it's got a banjo fitting, you could always just put a plastic bag over the end of the line and zip tie it to the hose, or secure it with electric tape.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey DaX,

Thanks for the reply and advise...

I was thinking the same about the blocks to jack it up, breeze blocks led down to maximise stability and then some smaller ones built up like a pyramid to give height and something more forgiving to sit the car actually on....

As for the carb, just ensure it closed up and protected with a little oil one a rag and as air tight as I can make it. The fuel line I will probably push a bolt into and then cover in a plastic bag and then cable tie/tape up to be sure....

Thanks again for the advise,

Jon